Partition size

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Hello there...

I've just ordered a 160gb WD drive and I am somewhat sceptical whether I will be able to use this drive with Win98 (not SE) without problems.

In other words, will Win98 recognize the whole size of it or chop it off in the middle somewhere?

<font color=blue>Youth is wasted on the young</font color=blue>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You could try using something like <A HREF="http://www.ranish.com/part/" target="_new">Ranish Partition Manager</A> to partition the drive, since FDISK doesn't support 48-bit LBA (in other words, HDDs that are 137GB or larger). You might also need a BIOS upgrade to add 48-bit support for the IDE controller.

Useful info here:

<A HREF="http://www.48bitlba.com/" target="_new">48bitlba.com</A>

If all else fails, install the drive with a PCI IDE controller card. They are relatively inexpensive, if you order a non-RAID card. Just make sure the manufacturer provides the correct drivers (and updates periodically) before choosing the brand.

I'm using a <A HREF="http://www.provantage.com/buy-7STRP03T-2-channel-ultra-ata-100-pci-ide-card-startech-computer-parts-pci2ide100-shopping.htm" target="_new">StarTech</A> 2-Channel Ultra ATA/100 PCI IDE Card along with two 120GB WD hard drives which works very well ... and as you can see, the price is reasonable. I'm using a fairly new Silicon Image driver with the card I picked up a couple of months ago that I could send you, and save you some time looking around, if you wish.

You should be aware that the older 16-bit versions of Scandisk and Defrag can't handle anything past 127GB. And no, the 127GB is not a typo, despite the older LBA limit being 137GB. This is something I picked up while browsing around the Seagate website.

You'll also need to find chipset drivers that support 48-bit LBA, since the native Win98 drivers do not, and also have a hard limit of 127GB. Hopefully, that won't be an issue for you, if a third-party driver set is available.

Stick with partitions of 127GB or less, and the native utilities should function correctly ... theoretically.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Thanks for your reply.

It seems that installing Windows XP is the only reasonable way to go, to bad my internet won't work with WinXP.

I will try the HIGH CAPACITY DISK PATCH and hopefully it will work, at least til I have enough cash to change my ISP and thus will be able to run Win XP again (yay).

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Out of curiosity:

There's no way for you to manually configure a connection to the 'Net with your current ISP, instead of installing some kind of proprietary software? (Which must be incompatible with the operating system ... or so it seems, after reading your post. That's the impression I'm under, anyway.)

Perhaps you could call the ISP and ask a tech to input your information (user name/password) into their system so you can create a normal connection without installing software ... which by this point in time, considering how long it's been since WinXP was released, should have been updated. Personally, I'd be pretty ticked off if I had to restrict my choice of OS due to my ISP being out of touch.

Or perhaps you are currently using some kind of "free" ISP, which can only be activated using downloaded software?

Of course, what I know about Swedish ISP's and 50 cents won't buy me a hot cup of coffee, either.

Just being nosy ... I can't help myself. ;-)

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Well, my current ISP is Telia...they pretty much own all network cables around Sweden.

I hooked up with them a couple of years ago and decided to pay for their 0.5Mbit service.
My Dlink DSL-200 modem and WinXP went along fine, no problems to mention.

However, when I hooked up with their 8Mbit service I started to get all those bluescreens...

I specifically asked them if my modem would work with 8Mbit and they said it would.

It turned out it didn't work at all, during one of my many techsupport calls to them I accidently bumped into a very nice chap and he explained that my modem would probably overload when using 8mbit, therefore bluescreens...

Dlink does not make any new drivers for the modem.

So now I'll change ISP as soon as I can, not only because of the problems but they are expensive as hell as well.

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
More questions...

I got my new HD today, the mobo had no problems recognizing it's full 160gb size.

As for windows, I tried that 48bit program but it has a limit at 145gb (unless you pay the guy who did it $10)

I used partitionmagic to partition the hd and the program can see all 160 gb and even make use of them.
However, may I get corrupted data if I use the gb above the 145gb limit? or can I use all the gb's?

I mean, if PM sees and can access the whole size does that not mean I'm 'safe'?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's really not about corrupted data ... it's whether the BIOS and the IDE controller drivers (chipset drivers) support the ability to access the disk space above the 127GB limitation. That why I mentioned that there is a "hard" limit with the native, default Win98 drivers. They don't support 48-bit LBA. Which means, in layman's terms, that they don't support drives over 137GB, and can't access free space above 127GB.

Just because Partition Magic can recognize the size of the entire drive doesn't necessarily mean that Win98 natively has the same ability. You'll need updated chipset/IDE controller drivers to "see" the whole drive, if you intend to have only one, large partition. However, this is assuming that the manufacturer/distributor of the chipset has added 48-bit LBA support to the drivers, so that Win9x can access free space on a hard drive larger than 127GB. Some have ... some haven't. Intel has, for the most part, and I'm under the impression that VIA has done the same thing. Although I am not a big fan of VIA chipsets, and I have had some trouble in the past getting VIA drivers to install correctly, due to Windows File Protection. Which shouldn't be as much of an issue in Win9x, as it can be in newer operating systems.

And remember, with just one partition larger than 127GB, those 16-bit native utilities built into Win98 will not function correctly. And there's not anything you can do to work around this limitation. That's one of the handicaps when you use an older OS that is not truly 32-bit and/or 64-bit.

Personally, I'd partition the drive in half, and that would solve the problem, before it ever began. On the same note, I can't think of any particular reason why someone would need (or want) a 160GB partition with the FAT32 file system, anyway.

For instance, if you are going to use the drive for video editing, FAT32 has a 4GB file size limitation, and that makes it more difficult to work with large .avi files. And effectively defeats one of the purposes of having one large FAT32 partition, IMHO.

And then there's the wasted free space to consider, due to the large clusters.

Basically, how the drive should be partitioned depends on what you intend to do with it. But two 80GB partitions should be just as useful as one 160GB partition. Or the drive could be partitioned even farther, to the point where the cluster sizes are smaller, which saves on slack space.

But you need to at least have one partition that is smaller than 127GB, regardless of what you choose to do with the rest of the free space, if you want to avoid having to re-partition again in the future. Imagine, for example, having a bad shutdown that causes Scandisk to run at the boot ... but it cannot correct any errors in the file system because it can't access any of the free space over 127GB.

While I haven't tried it personally, I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of data corruption after the utility attempted to run, like trundicated files. To be honest with you, I'm not sure if it would try to run and then crap out, or just not be able to run at all. You could ask Crashman ... he might know. I don't load Win98 on newer systems these days, but I recall that he still installs the OS regularly. Although I'd have to assume that he's using Win98SE, instead of the earlier incarnation.

Imagine, too, having to wait for many hours while a third-party utility has to defrag an entire 160GB FAT32 partition. Even if the partition is only half full, if there are many small files, this easily becomes an overnight scenario. And you wouldn't have any choice about using another tool, because Windows Defrag couldn't do anything with a partition that large.

Give some thought as to how you want to do this, but I'd advise against having a single partition for the drive. Just to make things simpler, in the long run.

Toey

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Thanks for the long and informative reply =)

Let's see if I got this right?
You can't have one large 160gb partition but you can have two 80gb partitions?

That does not make sense, I mean the cylinders and stuff like that on the HD must be the same
no matter how you partition it and thus win98 should have the same problems with accessing one partition
as it would have with two smaller ones :S

Oh well, I don't intend to have one large partition (been there done that), I may be a n00b when it comes to things like this but I am not that mentally challenged that I don't see the benefits of having many smaller partitions ;P

This is kind of a temporary solution anyway, I don't intend to be stuck with win98 forever.
I just want to make sure that my data won't vanish magically if I move them to my 160gb drive, I have a 'few' gigabytes of mp3's that I don't want to lose.

Thanks yet again.

It's a limitation... Win 98 can't 'address' a partition of that size. As long as your BIOS supports the drive, Win 98 will be quite happy with 2 80GB partitions... which is a workaround of the 48-bit LBA issue. FDISK cannot create one 160GB partition, but it will happily create 2 80GB ones.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>