USB 1.1 or 2.0

How can I tell if my USB is operating at 1.1 or 2.0?

Not all my USB devices are USB 2.0. The scanner and card reader are only
1.1. The DSL modem/router/gateway is 2.0, but the USB connection for it
(2Wire Gateway USB) shows only 10Mbps (rather than 400Mbps). Is that because
the modem/router connects to a 10BaseT ethernet hub that only supports
10Mbps? I wonder what my other USB 2.0 devices are running at or how I can
tell. Scott's XP computer is connected to the network via this 10Mbps hub.
The three network icons in my taskbar show 1394 Net Adapter at 400 Mbps,
Network Bridge at 400Mbps, and 2Wire Gateway USB at 10Mbps. The following is
from Device Manager.

UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DD
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

Device Manager shows USB Root Hubs and USB Universal Host Controllers rather
than USB 2 somethings. (In WinMe, when I had a USB 2 PCI card installed on a
USB 1.1 board, it would say USB 2 somthing for the card and USB something
for the native 1.1 ports on the board.) This mainboard comes with USB 2.
When I first installed WinXP, a message popped up when I went to install the
USB 2.0 mainboard drivers that XP SP1 should automatically configure them.
For my other USB 2 devices, is there somewhere in Windows or a third-party
utility that can tell me what speed they are operating at? I want to know if
the USB 2.0 is installed and working properly.

Blair

Check out this link:
http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> How can I tell if my USB is operating at 1.1 or 2.0?
>
> Not all my USB devices are USB 2.0. The scanner and card reader are only
> 1.1. The DSL modem/router/gateway is 2.0, but the USB connection for it
> (2Wire Gateway USB) shows only 10Mbps (rather than 400Mbps). Is that
because
> the modem/router connects to a 10BaseT ethernet hub that only supports
> 10Mbps? I wonder what my other USB 2.0 devices are running at or how I can
> tell. Scott's XP computer is connected to the network via this 10Mbps hub.
> The three network icons in my taskbar show 1394 Net Adapter at 400 Mbps,
> Network Bridge at 400Mbps, and 2Wire Gateway USB at 10Mbps. The following
is
> from Device Manager.
>
> UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DD
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
>
> Device Manager shows USB Root Hubs and USB Universal Host Controllers
rather
> than USB 2 somethings. (In WinMe, when I had a USB 2 PCI card installed on
> USB 1.1 board, it would say USB 2 somthing for the card and USB something
> for the native 1.1 ports on the board.) This mainboard comes with USB 2.
> When I first installed WinXP, a message popped up when I went to install
the
> USB 2.0 mainboard drivers that XP SP1 should automatically configure them.
> For my other USB 2 devices, is there somewhere in Windows or a third-party
> utility that can tell me what speed they are operating at? I want to know
if
> the USB 2.0 is installed and working properly.

That USB Info utility costs $149. The tests available in the 15-day trial
version are limited, and the program is too technical for me. I will go to
my mainboard manufacturer's forum and ask them. I switched some of my USB
devices around into other slots. There is a USB 2 Enhanced controller entry
in Device Manager now, but it shows nothing is connected to any of the
ports. Maybe my router is not USB 2.0 after all, but I thought it was.

"Blair" <faberman45@nospam.yahoo.ca> wrote in message
Check out this link:
http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> How can I tell if my USB is operating at 1.1 or 2.0?
>
> Not all my USB devices are USB 2.0. The scanner and card reader are only
> 1.1. The DSL modem/router/gateway is 2.0, but the USB connection for it
> (2Wire Gateway USB) shows only 10Mbps (rather than 400Mbps). Is that
because
> the modem/router connects to a 10BaseT ethernet hub that only supports
> 10Mbps? I wonder what my other USB 2.0 devices are running at or how I can
> tell. Scott's XP computer is connected to the network via this 10Mbps hub.
> The three network icons in my taskbar show 1394 Net Adapter at 400 Mbps,
> Network Bridge at 400Mbps, and 2Wire Gateway USB at 10Mbps. The following
is
> from Device Manager.
>
> UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DD
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
>
> Device Manager shows USB Root Hubs and USB Universal Host Controllers
rather
> than USB 2 somethings. (In WinMe, when I had a USB 2 PCI card installed on
> USB 1.1 board, it would say USB 2 somthing for the card and USB something
> for the native 1.1 ports on the board.) This mainboard comes with USB 2.
> When I first installed WinXP, a message popped up when I went to install
the
> USB 2.0 mainboard drivers that XP SP1 should automatically configure them.
> For my other USB 2 devices, is there somewhere in Windows or a third-party
> utility that can tell me what speed they are operating at? I want to know
if
> the USB 2.0 is installed and working properly.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> How can I tell if my USB is operating at 1.1 or 2.0?
>
> Not all my USB devices are USB 2.0. The scanner and card reader are only
> 1.1. The DSL modem/router/gateway is 2.0, but the USB connection for it
> (2Wire Gateway USB) shows only 10Mbps (rather than 400Mbps). Is that
> because
> the modem/router connects to a 10BaseT ethernet hub that only supports
> 10Mbps? I wonder what my other USB 2.0 devices are running at or how I can
> tell. Scott's XP computer is connected to the network via this 10Mbps hub.
> The three network icons in my taskbar show 1394 Net Adapter at 400 Mbps,
> Network Bridge at 400Mbps, and 2Wire Gateway USB at 10Mbps. The following
> is
> from Device Manager.
>
> UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DD
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
>
> Device Manager shows USB Root Hubs and USB Universal Host Controllers
> rather
> than USB 2 somethings. (In WinMe, when I had a USB 2 PCI card installed on
> USB 1.1 board, it would say USB 2 somthing for the card and USB something
> for the native 1.1 ports on the board.) This mainboard comes with USB 2.
> When I first installed WinXP, a message popped up when I went to install
> the
> USB 2.0 mainboard drivers that XP SP1 should automatically configure them.
> For my other USB 2 devices, is there somewhere in Windows or a third-party
> utility that can tell me what speed they are operating at? I want to know
> if
> the USB 2.0 is installed and working properly.

It should list " Enhanced Host Controller " as you have it, otherwise, it
seems that you don't.

Try using Google for the general info that you seek. You'll find answers
faster, since there is a library on Usenet waiting to be explored, and less
time waiting for answers here.

I usually do type searches in the Google Toolbar and Microsoft sites first.
Sometimes I do not know what keywords to use for my searches. Other times
there is too much info and I don't know how to sort through it, there is
info that really doesn't tell me what I need to know, or there is info that
is not relevant at all to my problem. After not finding answers there, I ask
questions here or in another newsgroup. What is Usenet?

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
Try using Google for the general info that you seek. You'll find answers
faster, since there is a library on Usenet waiting to be explored, and less
time waiting for answers here.

You can inexpensively add a USB2.0 pci card. The list indicates that XP has
not installed any usb2 support, and it would have if it detected usb2 ports
in your system. A five-port card is very inexpensive. When you bring the
system back up after installing the card, XP will detect and configure it
for you automatically.

"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> How can I tell if my USB is operating at 1.1 or 2.0?
>
> Not all my USB devices are USB 2.0. The scanner and card reader are only
> 1.1. The DSL modem/router/gateway is 2.0, but the USB connection for it
> (2Wire Gateway USB) shows only 10Mbps (rather than 400Mbps). Is that
> because
> the modem/router connects to a 10BaseT ethernet hub that only supports
> 10Mbps? I wonder what my other USB 2.0 devices are running at or how I can
> tell. Scott's XP computer is connected to the network via this 10Mbps hub.
> The three network icons in my taskbar show 1394 Net Adapter at 400 Mbps,
> Network Bridge at 400Mbps, and 2Wire Gateway USB at 10Mbps. The following
> is
> from Device Manager.
>
> UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DD
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
>
> Device Manager shows USB Root Hubs and USB Universal Host Controllers
> rather
> than USB 2 somethings. (In WinMe, when I had a USB 2 PCI card installed on
> USB 1.1 board, it would say USB 2 somthing for the card and USB something
> for the native 1.1 ports on the board.) This mainboard comes with USB 2.
> When I first installed WinXP, a message popped up when I went to install
> the
> USB 2.0 mainboard drivers that XP SP1 should automatically configure them.
> For my other USB 2 devices, is there somewhere in Windows or a third-party
> utility that can tell me what speed they are operating at? I want to know
> if
> the USB 2.0 is installed and working properly.

New Device Manager list for USB.

Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Universal Host Controller - 24DD
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

As a result of moving the various USB devices into different slots to test
USB capability without "safely remove the device from your system", the
scanner now shows up under Imaging Devices as Mustek 1200UB #3. That is the
only scanner that shows up. Mustek 1200UB and Mustek 1200UB #2 do not show
up. "Show hidden devices" on the View menu is enabled. Is there any way to
edit the name of the device to remove the "#3", or am I stuck with that now?

Also, when I select "show hidden devices" it seems like I have three
duplicate network adapters, but I wonder if they are duplicates or not.

2wire Gateway USB #2 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
2wire Gateway USB #3 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
2wire Gateway USB #4 - Packet Scheduler Miniport

Windows would not let me remove them even in Safe Mode. I could disable them
but not remove them. The error I got was "Failed to uninstall the device.
The
device may be needed to boot into Windows" (or something along those lines).
Since I could not remove them, I just re-enabled them. Maybe they aren't
duplicates. What do you think?

Here is the complete list of network adapters with "show hidden devices"
selected.

1394 Net Adapter
2wire Gateway USB
2wire Gateway USB #2 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
2wire Gateway USB #3 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
2wire Gateway USB #4 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Direct Parallel
MAC Bridge Miniport
MAC Bridge Miniport - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Realtek 8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
WAN Miniport (IP)
WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport
WAN Miniport (IPX)
WAN Miniport (L2TP)
WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
WAN Miniport (PPTP)

The trial version of USB Info (the $149 program mentioned earlier in this
thread), states that my USB 2.0 controller is installed and has 8 ports but
none of them have anything in them. That is the exact number of all USB
ports on my computer (2 front panel extension bracket, 4 rear mainboard, 2
rear extension bracket). It shows additional USB 1.1 controllers and root
hubs. All my devices are plugged into slots under the USB 1.1 controller
categories.

Maybe none of my devices are USB 2.0 after all. The router shows
up as USB 1.1. I really thought it was USB 2.0. I do not have any other
devices that are USB 2.0. I do have a USB 2.0/Firewire PCI card, but since I
have USB 2.0 and Firewire on the mainboard, it did not seem necessary to
install that card.

USB Info also states that my 1200UB scanner is only USB 1.0. If that is
true, it's amazing it even works in Windows XP, much less SP2. The driver is
not digitally signed, but it is the only XP driver available for that
scanner. I have no problems whatsoever in operating the scanner.

My parallel port printer, Lexmark Z42, also uses an unsigned driver. There
is one minor problem with it. When I start the computer (or log in as a
different user) and print for the first time that Windows session (or user
session), I get "problem communicating with the printer." To solve it, I
turn the printer off and back on and click Retry and it works fine.
Microsoft suggests you use digitally signed drivers and drivers that are
certified for XP, but that is not possible if manufacturer has no updated
drivers.

Also, 2 processors show up in Device Manager when I only have one processor
installed. Maybe that's what hyper-threading does. So much for my hardware
questions.

[...]

You can try the card to double check the router. You don't have to leave it
installed. Yes, a hyperthreading cpu shows up as two cpu's.

> [...]
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
>
> Device Manager shows USB Root Hubs and USB Universal Host Controllers
> rather
> than USB 2 somethings. (In WinMe, when I had a USB 2 PCI card installed on
> USB 1.1 board, it would say USB 2 somthing for the card and USB something
> for the native 1.1 ports on the board.) This mainboard comes with USB 2.
> When I first installed WinXP, a message popped up when I went to install
> the
> USB 2.0 mainboard drivers that XP SP1 should automatically configure them.
> For my other USB 2 devices, is there somewhere in Windows or a third-party
> utility that can tell me what speed they are operating at? I want to know
> if
> the USB 2.0 is installed and working properly.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> How can I tell if my USB is operating at 1.1 or 2.0?
>
> Not all my USB devices are USB 2.0. The scanner and card reader are only
> 1.1. The DSL modem/router/gateway is 2.0, but the USB connection for it
> (2Wire Gateway USB) shows only 10Mbps (rather than 400Mbps). Is that
> because
> the modem/router connects to a 10BaseT ethernet hub that only supports
> 10Mbps? I wonder what my other USB 2.0 devices are running at or how I can
> tell. Scott's XP computer is connected to the network via this 10Mbps hub.
> The three network icons in my taskbar show 1394 Net Adapter at 400 Mbps,
> Network Bridge at 400Mbps, and 2Wire Gateway USB at 10Mbps. The following
> is
> from Device Manager.
>
> UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DD
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
>
> Device Manager shows USB Root Hubs and USB Universal Host Controllers
> rather
> than USB 2 somethings. (In WinMe, when I had a USB 2 PCI card installed on
> USB 1.1 board, it would say USB 2 somthing for the card and USB something
> for the native 1.1 ports on the board.) This mainboard comes with USB 2.
> When I first installed WinXP, a message popped up when I went to install
> the
> USB 2.0 mainboard drivers that XP SP1 should automatically configure them.
> For my other USB 2 devices, is there somewhere in Windows or a third-party
> utility that can tell me what speed they are operating at? I want to know
> if
> the USB 2.0 is installed and working properly.

Judging from your list you do not have a USB 2 (Enhanced USB2 Controller) on
your machine.
Pich up a copy of AIDA 32 at http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html and
under Devices it will tell you what you have in your machine.
The 10Mb for your DSL/Router is probably the result of that router
connecting to a USB 1.1 controller and shifting down to 1.1 compatibility.

hth

george

I am still using a USB1.1 controller and I have a USB2.0 compatible scanner.
Whenever I plug in my USB2.0 into the USB1.1 controller, WinXP will give me
an alert that I can get better performance if I get a USB2.0 controller.

If you do not have this pop up message when you use your USB2.0 hardware, it
means that your USB2.0 controller on your machine is working just fine.
(Well, this is an easy, non-technical way to check if your system is using a
USB2.0 controller)

--
Jabez Gan
Beta ID: 507323

> That USB Info utility costs $149. The tests available in the 15-day trial
> version are limited, and the program is too technical for me. I will go to
> my mainboard manufacturer's forum and ask them. I switched some of my USB
> devices around into other slots. There is a USB 2 Enhanced controller
> entry
> in Device Manager now, but it shows nothing is connected to any of the
> ports. Maybe my router is not USB 2.0 after all, but I thought it was.
>
> "Blair" <faberman45@nospam.yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Check out this link:
> http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm
>

> "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> How can I tell if my USB is operating at 1.1 or 2.0?
>>
>> Not all my USB devices are USB 2.0. The scanner and card reader are only
>> 1.1. The DSL modem/router/gateway is 2.0, but the USB connection for it
>> (2Wire Gateway USB) shows only 10Mbps (rather than 400Mbps). Is that
> because
>> the modem/router connects to a 10BaseT ethernet hub that only supports
>> 10Mbps? I wonder what my other USB 2.0 devices are running at or how I
>> can
>> tell. Scott's XP computer is connected to the network via this 10Mbps
>> hub.
>> The three network icons in my taskbar show 1394 Net Adapter at 400 Mbps,
>> Network Bridge at 400Mbps, and 2Wire Gateway USB at 10Mbps. The following
> is
>> from Device Manager.
>>
>> UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS
>> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
>> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
>> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
>> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
>> Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DD
>> USB Root Hub
>> USB Root Hub
>> USB Root Hub
>> USB Root Hub
>> USB Root Hub
>>
>> Device Manager shows USB Root Hubs and USB Universal Host Controllers
> rather
>> than USB 2 somethings. (In WinMe, when I had a USB 2 PCI card installed
>> on
>> USB 1.1 board, it would say USB 2 somthing for the card and USB something
>> for the native 1.1 ports on the board.) This mainboard comes with USB 2.
>> When I first installed WinXP, a message popped up when I went to install
> the
>> USB 2.0 mainboard drivers that XP SP1 should automatically configure
>> them.
>> For my other USB 2 devices, is there somewhere in Windows or a
>> third-party
>> utility that can tell me what speed they are operating at? I want to know
> if
>> the USB 2.0 is installed and working properly.

Also reliable.

What is Usenet? See this: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/what-is/part1/

--
Jabez Gan