Throwing out old computer

March 14, 2005 1:38:54 PM

Which is the best way to eliminate everything from the hard drive of my old
computer?

More about : throwing computer

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 4:20:59 PM

I would suggest downloading the free 30 day trial version
of Iolo's excellent DriveScrubber and using it:
http://www.iolo.com/ds/index.c­fm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"najal" wrote:

| Which is the best way to eliminate everything from the hard drive of my old
| computer?
March 14, 2005 4:42:33 PM

"najal" <najal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Which is the best way to eliminate everything from the hard drive of my
> old
> computer?

Smash, and then burn the broken hard drive parts, is the surest method, and
it costs nothing.
March 14, 2005 5:09:05 PM

Open up the case and remove the hard drive. Close case and replace screws.
Place hard drive on hard surface (outside is best). Put on your safety
glasses and grab your 20 lb sledge hammer. Now wack the daylights out of it
so nothing is left. That is the best way. You can try a scrubber, but is
your data really gone? Do you really want to take the chance? I wouldn't.
Now donate your old computer to a good cause and get a write off for this
years taxes.

"najal" wrote:

> Which is the best way to eliminate everything from the hard drive of my old
> computer?
March 14, 2005 5:53:17 PM

Best to toss it after that, Charities do not want it. I have a win 95
machine and a Win98 - 600mhz chine and no one will take.
SG
"Hunter B" <HunterB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Open up the case and remove the hard drive. Close case and replace
> screws.
> Place hard drive on hard surface (outside is best). Put on your safety
> glasses and grab your 20 lb sledge hammer. Now wack the daylights out of
> it
> so nothing is left. That is the best way. You can try a scrubber, but
> is
> your data really gone? Do you really want to take the chance? I
> wouldn't.
> Now donate your old computer to a good cause and get a write off for this
> years taxes.

March 14, 2005 7:17:17 PM

But he said he was "Throwing out old computer" in the subject line.
Therefore, to be very sure, literally destroying the drive is the best way.
Even drive erasers that you recommend, are not full proof.

>I would suggest downloading the free 30 day trial version
> of Iolo's excellent DriveScrubber and using it:
> http://www.iolo.com/ds/index.c­fm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "najal" wrote:
>
> | Which is the best way to eliminate everything from the hard drive of my
> old
> | computer?

March 14, 2005 10:10:24 PM

"shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
> Best to toss it after that, Charities do not want it. I have a win 95
> machine and a Win98 - 600mhz chine and no one will take.
> SG
> "Hunter B" <HunterB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Open up the case and remove the hard drive. Close case and replace
>> screws.
>> Place hard drive on hard surface (outside is best). Put on your safety
>> glasses and grab your 20 lb sledge hammer. Now wack the daylights out of
>> it
>> so nothing is left. That is the best way. You can try a scrubber, but
>> is
>> your data really gone? Do you really want to take the chance? I
>> wouldn't.
>> Now donate your old computer to a good cause and get a write off for this
>> years taxes.
charities may not want but what about grand child,niece ,nephew, or a
neighbors
child.I take great pleasure in passing my old puters on I also collect and
repair
old pc's to pass on. a young child does not care that computer is old and
slow
(to them it is fast and new) if it is good enough to play a few games it
will give them
years of enjoyment scrub drive and pass on
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:09:27 AM

"mo" <mo@rno.net> wrote in message
news:o SjyHvPKFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
>> Best to toss it after that, Charities do not want it. I have a win 95
>> machine and a Win98 - 600mhz chine and no one will take.
>> SG
>> "Hunter B" <HunterB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Open up the case and remove the hard drive. Close case and replace
>>> screws.
>>> Place hard drive on hard surface (outside is best). Put on your safety
>>> glasses and grab your 20 lb sledge hammer. Now wack the daylights out
>>> of it
>>> so nothing is left. That is the best way. You can try a scrubber, but
>>> is
>>> your data really gone? Do you really want to take the chance? I
>>> wouldn't.
>>> Now donate your old computer to a good cause and get a write off for
>>> this
>>> years taxes.
> charities may not want but what about grand child,niece ,nephew, or a
> neighbors
> child.I take great pleasure in passing my old puters on I also collect and
> repair
> old pc's to pass on. a young child does not care that computer is old and
> slow
> (to them it is fast and new) if it is good enough to play a few games it
> will give them
> years of enjoyment scrub drive and pass on

If somebody wants to give the computer to someone else, they're really
better of formatting the drive and giving it away with the OS included. (and
the drive, and the disks themselves) Otherwise the cost of a hard drive and
then trying to find an OS that will work with the machine will be more cost
and trouble than the computer is worth.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:29:37 AM

I know many, many charities that will take 600mhz system.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
> Best to toss it after that, Charities do not want it. I have a win 95
> machine and a Win98 - 600mhz chine and no one will take.
> SG
> "Hunter B" <HunterB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Open up the case and remove the hard drive. Close case and replace
> > screws.
> > Place hard drive on hard surface (outside is best). Put on your safety
> > glasses and grab your 20 lb sledge hammer. Now wack the daylights out
of
> > it
> > so nothing is left. That is the best way. You can try a scrubber, but
> > is
> > your data really gone? Do you really want to take the chance? I
> > wouldn't.
> > Now donate your old computer to a good cause and get a write off for
this
> > years taxes.

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:37:23 AM

I'm using an old 233mhz in my office for my accounts, and it's on my LAN
and works ok!

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Harry Ohrn wrote:
> I know many, many charities that will take 600mhz system.
>

> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
>> Best to toss it after that, Charities do not want it. I have a win 95
>> machine and a Win98 - 600mhz chine and no one will take.
>> SG
>> "Hunter B" <HunterB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Open up the case and remove the hard drive. Close case and replace
>>> screws.
>>> Place hard drive on hard surface (outside is best). Put on your
>>> safety glasses and grab your 20 lb sledge hammer. Now wack the
>>> daylights out of it
>>> so nothing is left. That is the best way. You can try a
>>> scrubber, but is
>>> your data really gone? Do you really want to take the chance? I
>>> wouldn't.
>>> Now donate your old computer to a good cause and get a write off
>>> for this years taxes.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:37:24 AM

I keep a couple of old boxes around just so my wife loses count and I can
get away with a new computer for months before she catches on. <bg>

"Kath Adams" <kathadams@(nospam)mvps.org> wrote in message
> I'm using an old 233mhz in my office for my accounts, and it's on my LAN
> and works ok!
>
> --
> Kath Adams
> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
> In memory of Alex Nichol
>
> Harry Ohrn wrote:
>> I know many, many charities that will take 600mhz system.
>>

>> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
>>> Best to toss it after that, Charities do not want it. I have a win 95
>>> machine and a Win98 - 600mhz chine and no one will take.
>>> SG
>>> "Hunter B" <HunterB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:41:07 PM

<lol> That's sneaky <g> but in this house I'm in charge of the machines
so I say when a new one comes in and that's usually when I want a new
one <g>
Joan

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> I keep a couple of old boxes around just so my wife loses count and I can
> get away with a new computer for months before she catches on. <bg>

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:41:08 PM

lol.. I try to throw out old stuff, but my better half insists that I keep
it for spares.. I have tried sneaking parts out to the garbage, but even
they work against me.. they won't take the stuff, and I get found out..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> <lol> That's sneaky <g> but in this house I'm in charge of the machines so
> I say when a new one comes in and that's usually when I want a new one <g>
> Joan
>
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> I keep a couple of old boxes around just so my wife loses count and I can
>> get away with a new computer for months before she catches on. <bg>

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:04:15 PM

In news:o xph4BSKFHA.1308@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Harry Ohrn <harry---@webtree.ca> typed:

> I know many, many charities that will take 600mhz system.

Not to mention individuals. My wife runs on a 400MHz machine, so
a 600MHz would be a step up for her.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
>> Best to toss it after that, Charities do not want it. I have a
>> win 95
>> machine and a Win98 - 600mhz chine and no one will take.
>> SG
>> "Hunter B" <HunterB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>>> Open up the case and remove the hard drive. Close case and
>>> replace
>>> screws.
>>> Place hard drive on hard surface (outside is best). Put on
>>> your
>>> safety glasses and grab your 20 lb sledge hammer. Now wack
>>> the
>>> daylights out of it
>>> so nothing is left. That is the best way. You can try a
>>> scrubber, but is
>>> your data really gone? Do you really want to take the
>>> chance? I
>>> wouldn't.
>>> Now donate your old computer to a good cause and get a write
>>> off
>>> for this years taxes.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:05:29 PM

In news:%23NBiMfTKFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:

> I keep a couple of old boxes around just so my wife loses count
> and I
> can get away with a new computer for months before she catches
> on. <bg>

When I get a new computer, my wife gets my old one. Her needs are
much lower than mine, so this way we both get upgraded and
everyone's happy.

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> I'm using an old 233mhz in my office for my accounts, and it's
>> on my
>> LAN and works ok!
>>
>> --
>> Kath Adams
>> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
>> In memory of Alex Nichol
>>
>> Harry Ohrn wrote:
>>> I know many, many charities that will take 600mhz system.
>>>

>>> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:19:56 PM

It worked much better back when I was a stamp collector. They are ever so
much smaller.

"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> <lol> That's sneaky <g> but in this house I'm in charge of the machines so
> I say when a new one comes in and that's usually when I want a new one <g>
> Joan
>
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> I keep a couple of old boxes around just so my wife loses count and I can
>> get away with a new computer for months before she catches on. <bg>

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:38:28 PM

<lol> When I got rid of my old 98, my local computer shop had it and
gave me a discount on my new one plus they usually give me money off
because I'm a good customer of theirs <vbg>
Joan

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> lol.. I try to throw out old stuff, but my better half insists that I keep
> it for spares.. I have tried sneaking parts out to the garbage, but even
> they work against me.. they won't take the stuff, and I get found out..

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:38:29 PM

My next door neighbor has agreed to let me use his front yard on trash
pickup day when I have a large carton to throw out, like the big Sony box my
19" LCD monitor came in. My wife still hasn't caught on to the fact that my
neighbor doesn't even like computers.

"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 1vxoyWKFHA.604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> <lol> When I got rid of my old 98, my local computer shop had it and gave
> me a discount on my new one plus they usually give me money off because
> I'm a good customer of theirs <vbg>
> Joan
>
> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> lol.. I try to throw out old stuff, but my better half insists that I
>> keep it for spares.. I have tried sneaking parts out to the garbage, but
>> even they work against me.. they won't take the stuff, and I get found
>> out..

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:44:15 PM

I have been guilty of passing off my old computer as a new one. I hope she
never opens one up and sees the dust bunnies.

> In news:%23NBiMfTKFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:
>
>> I keep a couple of old boxes around just so my wife loses count and I
>> can get away with a new computer for months before she catches on. <bg>
>

> When I get a new computer, my wife gets my old one. Her needs are much
> lower than mine, so this way we both get upgraded and everyone's happy.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>>> I'm using an old 233mhz in my office for my accounts, and it's on my
>>> LAN and works ok!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kath Adams
>>> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 7:22:35 PM

Ken, here is an item everyone must have in his computer room.
http://dvdrewinder.com/index.php?main_page=product_info...

> In news:o xph4BSKFHA.1308@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Harry Ohrn <harry---@webtree.ca> typed:
>
>> I know many, many charities that will take 600mhz system.
>

> Not to mention individuals. My wife runs on a 400MHz machine, so a 600MHz
> would be a step up for her.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
>>> Best to toss it after that, Charities do not want it. I have a win 95
>>> machine and a Win98 - 600mhz chine and no one will take.
>>> SG
>>> "Hunter B" <HunterB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:22:58 PM

In news:o 1LShXbKFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:

> Ken, here is an item everyone must have in his computer room.
> http://dvdrewinder.com/index.php?main_page=product_info...

LOL! Interesting as it might be, I think I'll pass, if for no
other reason than that there is no room for *anything* else in my
computer room.

But I'll pass your suggestion on to lots of my friends. ;-)

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:o xph4BSKFHA.1308@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> Harry Ohrn <harry---@webtree.ca> typed:
>>
>>> I know many, many charities that will take 600mhz system.
>>

>> Not to mention individuals. My wife runs on a 400MHz machine,
>> so a
>> 600MHz would be a step up for her.
>>

>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:52:27 PM

I think the best buy is the T-shirt!

> In news:o 1LShXbKFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:
>
>> Ken, here is an item everyone must have in his computer room.
>> http://dvdrewinder.com/index.php?main_page=product_info...
>

> LOL! Interesting as it might be, I think I'll pass, if for no other reason
> than that there is no room for *anything* else in my computer room.
>
> But I'll pass your suggestion on to lots of my friends. ;-)

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>>> In news:o xph4BSKFHA.1308@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>>> Harry Ohrn <harry---@webtree.ca> typed:

>>> Not to mention individuals. My wife runs on a 400MHz machine, so a
>>> 600MHz would be a step up for her.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:12:45 AM

Good solution <g> you should see the boxes that have gone out of here
since my first one in 1998.
Joan

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> My next door neighbor has agreed to let me use his front yard on trash
> pickup day when I have a large carton to throw out, like the big Sony box my
> 19" LCD monitor came in. My wife still hasn't caught on to the fact that my
> neighbor doesn't even like computers.

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:13:25 AM

<lol> But where they as much fun.
Joan

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> It worked much better back when I was a stamp collector. They are ever so
> much smaller.

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:13:26 AM

They retained much better resale value over the same length of time.

> <lol> But where they as much fun.
> Joan
>
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> It worked much better back when I was a stamp collector. They are ever
>> so much smaller.

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:15:24 AM

<lol> That's how it works here but I get the new ones and husband and
daughter get the old, daughter being last in line she has my old WinME box.
Joan

Ken Blake wrote:

> When I get a new computer, my wife gets my old one. Her needs are
> much lower than mine, so this way we both get upgraded and
> everyone's happy.

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:15:25 AM

In news:ewFT9xaKFHA.2812@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Joan Archer <joanarcher@gmail.com> typed:

> <lol> That's how it works here but I get the new ones and
> husband and
> daughter get the old, daughter being last in line she has my
> old
> WinME box. Joan

I hasten to add that I have often offered to get my wife a new
computer, not just my old one, but she always turns me down,
claiming that what she has is good enough for what she does (and
in truth, it is).

Please reply to the newsgroup

> Ken Blake wrote:
>

>> When I get a new computer, my wife gets my old one. Her needs
>> are
>> much lower than mine, so this way we both get upgraded and
>> everyone's happy.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:15:25 AM

I wonder if one of my grandsons is still using Windows for Workgroups?

"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> <lol> That's how it works here but I get the new ones and husband and
> daughter get the old, daughter being last in line she has my old WinME
> box.
> Joan
>
> Ken Blake wrote:
>

>> When I get a new computer, my wife gets my old one. Her needs are much
>> lower than mine, so this way we both get upgraded and everyone's happy.

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:16:47 AM

I thought it collected those in the shop <vbg>
Joan

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> I have been guilty of passing off my old computer as a new one. I hope she
> never opens one up and sees the dust bunnies.

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:16:48 AM

They are just the mulch from deleted files. :)

>I thought it collected those in the shop <vbg>
> Joan
>
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> I have been guilty of passing off my old computer as a new one. I hope
>> she never opens one up and sees the dust bunnies.

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:14:55 AM

If you are going to donate or sell your computer all you need to do is
wipe the disk. Eraser by Sami Tolvanen is one of the best of these
programs and it's free: http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

In essence what these wipe utilities do is write a series of zeros and
ones over all the free space on your disk. The wiping program can be
set to do the same operation more than once, that's called a "pass". A
3 pass wipe is usually more than enough. US Department of Defense
specifies a series of 3 wipes 7 times. One of the most secure wipe is
the Gutmann shredding sequence, 35 passes. You should be aware that
wiping a drive is a time consuming process, the bigger the drive and the
greater the number of passes the more time it will take.

I can assure you that with a 3 pass wipe no one will be able to retrieve
anything from your drive unless they hire data recovery specialists and
spend thousands of dollars, and even then they may recover nothing. I
can further assure you that with a DOD or Gutmann wipe no one will be
able to retrieve anything unless they spend tens of thousands of dollars
and even then they may be left empty handed with empty pockets! Unless
you work for the CIA or MI5 and have state secrets on your drive no one
would bother spending that kind of money trying to retrieve anything
that might turn out to be nothing more than emails to Grandma and a list
of your favorite recipes, if they indeed can recover anything.

Of course, if you're in the paranoia crowd then get out your sledge
hammer and don't forget to completely burn the pieces after you're
finished smashing, because these bits and pieces of drives can be
inspected with special microscopes and data can be revealed, best to be
thorough with this. If you're going to be paranoid you best be
completely paranoid.

John

najal wrote:

> Which is the best way to eliminate everything from the hard drive of my old
> computer?
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:28:11 AM

The ultimate accessory for any quality computer..

http://www.circotech.com/sucili.html

Any sniggers from the cheap seats and I will never again disclose any
information regarding devices fitted to my computer.. please bear in mind
that magnetic BIC throw away lighters are as difficult to find as hen's
teeth..

I chose the silver finish..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

>I think the best buy is the T-shirt!

>> In news:o 1LShXbKFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:
>>
>>> Ken, here is an item everyone must have in his computer room.
>>> http://dvdrewinder.com/index.php?main_page=product_info...
>>

>> LOL! Interesting as it might be, I think I'll pass, if for no other
>> reason than that there is no room for *anything* else in my computer
>> room.
>>
>> But I'll pass your suggestion on to lots of my friends. ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:28:12 AM

Did you fit an ashtray into your CD-Rom tray?

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> The ultimate accessory for any quality computer..
>
> http://www.circotech.com/sucili.html
>
> Any sniggers from the cheap seats and I will never again disclose any
> information regarding devices fitted to my computer.. please bear in mind
> that magnetic BIC throw away lighters are as difficult to find as hen's
> teeth..
>
> I chose the silver finish..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> >I think the best buy is the T-shirt!
> >
> > --
> > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
> > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
> > "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> >> In news:o 1LShXbKFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> >> Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:

http://dvdrewinder.com/index.php?main_page=product_info...

> >> LOL! Interesting as it might be, I think I'll pass, if for no other
> >> reason than that there is no room for *anything* else in my computer
> >> room.
> >>
> >> But I'll pass your suggestion on to lots of my friends. ;-)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:57:30 AM

I want one powered by usb. :)

> The ultimate accessory for any quality computer..
>
> http://www.circotech.com/sucili.html
>
> Any sniggers from the cheap seats and I will never again disclose any
> information regarding devices fitted to my computer.. please bear in mind
> that magnetic BIC throw away lighters are as difficult to find as hen's
> teeth..
>
> I chose the silver finish..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

>>I think the best buy is the T-shirt!
>>
>> --
>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> In news:o 1LShXbKFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>>> Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:

>>> LOL! Interesting as it might be, I think I'll pass, if for no other
>>> reason than that there is no room for *anything* else in my computer
>>> room.
>>>
>>> But I'll pass your suggestion on to lots of my friends. ;-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:32:14 AM

I used to, but then wised up and got rid of the wife,, no more problems!
:)

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> I keep a couple of old boxes around just so my wife loses count and I
> can get away with a new computer for months before she catches on. <bg>
>> I'm using an old 233mhz in my office for my accounts, and it's on my
>> LAN and works ok!
>>
>> --
>> Kath Adams
>> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
>> In memory of Alex Nichol
>>
>> Harry Ohrn wrote:
>>> I know many, many charities that will take 600mhz system.
>>>

>>> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:06:40 PM

Best , safest, most effiecent way to destroy all the data is to simply place
it in a drill press, drill a 1/4 to 3/8 hole through the hard drive (through
the platters). No chance of any data recovery after that.

"najal" <najal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Which is the best way to eliminate everything from the hard drive of my
> old
> computer?
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:44:51 PM

<lol> That's one solution, if somewhat drastic <vbg>
Joan

Don Burnette wrote:
> I used to, but then wised up and got rid of the wife,, no more problems!
> :)

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:51:24 PM

<lol> I'll pass and stick with my lighter that is looking at me on the
desk or can be found in my pocket <g>
Joan

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> The ultimate accessory for any quality computer..
>
> http://www.circotech.com/sucili.html
>
> Any sniggers from the cheap seats and I will never again disclose any
> information regarding devices fitted to my computer.. please bear in mind
> that magnetic BIC throw away lighters are as difficult to find as hen's
> teeth..
>
> I chose the silver finish..

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:51:25 PM

Hey guys and gals..

If you can think of a better talking point that fills up an unused 5.25 in
bay?..

Joan, your pocket lighter has nothing on this.. can you run an 'auto' style
vacuum cleaner from your computer, or a tire inflator?.. and it doesn't
break nails in operation..

Harry, I have only just received a good lead on where to get a floating
ashtray for the bath.. do you have any leads on an ashtray designed for DVD
units that no longer function?..

Colin, I don't think that SP2 compatible USB drivers are available..

Najal, if you are still with us, convert your old computer to something
useful.. buy a Sunbeam cigarette lighter, fit it, and see how many visitors
want to talk about the latest gadget that actually works as a stress
reducer.. just think, no more rushing outside to see if the kids are setting
alight the shed, no more remembering whether it was a yellow or a black or a
red lighter that you purchased from the convenience store.. no more wishing
that you had bought the refillable type..

Now I get the impression that you are indeed all sniggering, so I will sit
in the corner and SULK.. and a good comedian never laughs at his own jokes,
so I will sign off now before I become a totally bad comedian..

But remember this slogan, applicable to all cigarette smoking computer
users..

STRESSLESS WITH A SUNBEAM

--

> <lol> I'll pass and stick with my lighter that is looking at me on the
> desk or can be found in my pocket <g>
> Joan
>
> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> The ultimate accessory for any quality computer..
>>
>> http://www.circotech.com/sucili.html
>>
>> Any sniggers from the cheap seats and I will never again disclose any
>> information regarding devices fitted to my computer.. please bear in mind
>> that magnetic BIC throw away lighters are as difficult to find as hen's
>> teeth..
>>
>> I chose the silver finish..

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:53:30 PM

Lol, yeah, much more to it, this was just a side benefit :)

Don

Joan Archer wrote:
> <lol> That's one solution, if somewhat drastic <vbg>
> Joan
>
> Don Burnette wrote:
>> I used to, but then wised up and got rid of the wife,, no more
>> problems! :)
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:55:43 PM

<lol> Well I've just finished recharging my phone by USB <g>
Joan

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> I want one powered by usb. :)

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:19:58 PM

In news:o eQ3RZdKFHA.568@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
John John <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> typed:

> I can assure you that with a 3 pass wipe no one will be able to
> retrieve anything from your drive unless they hire data
> recovery
> specialists and spend thousands of dollars, and even then they
> may
> recover nothing. I can further assure you that with a DOD or
> Gutmann
> wipe no one will be able to retrieve anything unless they spend
> tens
> of thousands of dollars and even then they may be left empty
> handed
> with empty pockets! Unless you work for the CIA or MI5 and
> have
> state secrets on your drive no one would bother spending that
> kind of
> money trying to retrieve anything that might turn out to be
> nothing
> more than emails to Grandma and a list of your favorite
> recipes, if
> they indeed can recover anything.

Exactly right! Many people worry far too much about these things.
For the vast majority of people, even simply formatting the drive
is sufficient. Yes, it's possible to retrieve data after a
format, but first you have to know how, and second, you have to
want to. Unless there's something special about you and what you
have on your drive, it's highly unlikely that some criminal will
single out your thrown-away computer to search your drive for
your darkest secrets.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:23:30 PM

In news:uebNlHfKFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Don Burnette <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> typed:

> I used to, but then wised up and got rid of the wife,, no more
> problems! :)

What utility did you use to first delete the contents of her
memory? ;-)

Please reply to the newsgroup

> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> I keep a couple of old boxes around just so my wife loses
>> count and I
>> can get away with a new computer for months before she catches
>> on.
>> <bg>
>>> I'm using an old 233mhz in my office for my accounts, and
>>> it's on my
>>> LAN and works ok!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kath Adams
>>> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 4:39:54 PM

Any expert data recovery company could retreive ALL the data on these
platters except for what was where the hole you drilled.

John

Rattleon wrote:
> Best , safest, most effiecent way to destroy all the data is to simply place
> it in a drill press, drill a 1/4 to 3/8 hole through the hard drive (through
> the platters). No chance of any data recovery after that.
>
> "najal" <najal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Which is the best way to eliminate everything from the hard drive of my
>>old
>>computer?

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:20:01 PM

Ken Blake wrote:
> In news:uebNlHfKFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Don Burnette <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> typed:
>

>>I used to, but then wised up and got rid of the wife,, no more
>>problems! :)
>

> What utility did you use to first delete the contents of her
> memory? ;-)

A simple reboot should have cleared her memory...

John
March 16, 2005 7:54:10 PM

""John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
Unless you work for the CIA or MI5 and have state secrets on your drive no
one
would bother spending that kind of money trying to retrieve anything
that might turn out to be nothing more than emails to Grandma and a list
of your favorite recipes, if they indeed can recover anything."

Are you implying that my recipes are not priceless? Lol
SG
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:54:11 PM

shakey wrote:

> Are you implying that my recipes are not priceless? Lol
> SG

If they are anything like mine they are priceless for biological
warfare! That's why I know about the CIA and the US DoD making sure
that my recipes don't get into the wrong hands, my recipes are lethal
weapons! If eating the food doesn't kill you the gas you release after
supper is guaranteed to kill every one within a 5 mile radius!

John
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 8:23:46 PM

I've been reading so much about the evils of smoking that I have decided to
give up...reading.

news:o $lJBnjKFHA.3652@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hey guys and gals..
>
> If you can think of a better talking point that fills up an unused 5.25 in
> bay?..
>
> Joan, your pocket lighter has nothing on this.. can you run an 'auto'
> style vacuum cleaner from your computer, or a tire inflator?.. and it
> doesn't break nails in operation..
>
> Harry, I have only just received a good lead on where to get a floating
> ashtray for the bath.. do you have any leads on an ashtray designed for
> DVD units that no longer function?..
>
> Colin, I don't think that SP2 compatible USB drivers are available..
>
> Najal, if you are still with us, convert your old computer to something
> useful.. buy a Sunbeam cigarette lighter, fit it, and see how many
> visitors want to talk about the latest gadget that actually works as a
> stress reducer.. just think, no more rushing outside to see if the kids
> are setting alight the shed, no more remembering whether it was a yellow
> or a black or a red lighter that you purchased from the convenience
> store.. no more wishing that you had bought the refillable type..
>
> Now I get the impression that you are indeed all sniggering, so I will sit
> in the corner and SULK.. and a good comedian never laughs at his own
> jokes, so I will sign off now before I become a totally bad comedian..
>
> But remember this slogan, applicable to all cigarette smoking computer
> users..
>
> STRESSLESS WITH A SUNBEAM
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> <lol> I'll pass and stick with my lighter that is looking at me on the
>> desk or can be found in my pocket <g>
>> Joan
>>
>> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
>>> The ultimate accessory for any quality computer..
>>>
>>> http://www.circotech.com/sucili.html
>>>
>>> Any sniggers from the cheap seats and I will never again disclose any
>>> information regarding devices fitted to my computer.. please bear in
>>> mind that magnetic BIC throw away lighters are as difficult to find as
>>> hen's teeth..
>>>
>>> I chose the silver finish..

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 8:48:01 PM

John John, You ARE OUT OF YOUR TREE> THE DATA COULD NOT BE GATHERED AT ALL !
The friction from the drill alone would corrupt it till it would be
completely worthless. You have no Idea what you are talking about. I have
been there and done that!
I am an Expert in Hard Drive Data Recovery Service, and have professionally
done it for Major Corporations for Several years. Read
again....................PROFESSIONALLY DONE IT...........

> Any expert data recovery company could retreive ALL the data on these
> platters except for what was where the hole you drilled.
>
> John
>
> Rattleon wrote:
>> Best , safest, most effiecent way to destroy all the data is to simply
>> place it in a drill press, drill a 1/4 to 3/8 hole through the hard drive
>> (through the platters). No chance of any data recovery after that.
>>
>> "najal" <najal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Which is the best way to eliminate everything from the hard drive of my
>>>old
>>>computer?

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 11:22:30 PM

Rattleon wrote:

> John John, You ARE OUT OF YOUR TREE> THE DATA COULD NOT BE GATHERED AT ALL !
> The friction from the drill alone would corrupt it till it would be
> completely worthless. You have no Idea what you are talking about. I have
> been there and done that!
> I am an Expert in Hard Drive Data Recovery Service, and have professionally
> done it for Major Corporations for Several years. Read
> again....................PROFESSIONALLY DONE IT...........

So I suppose then that you don't know what Magnetic Force Microscopy is.
Again as I said in another post, if one wanted to spend a fortune
recovering the data. I might know a lot more than you think about data
recovery.

John
!