XP doesn't recognize partition on slave hdd

I added a second hard drive to my system jumpered as primary slave. Both
hard drives are on the same IDE cable and properly recognized in the BIOS.

This second hdd is 30GB with two partitions, but Win XP only assigns one
drive letter to it and claims the capacity limit is 10GB. There are no
problems indicated in Device Manager where the drive is recognized as 30GB.

Using a third party "explorer" the 20GB partition is properly assigned a
drive letter, obviously there and I can see all the data. What can I do to
make Windows recognize the partition and let me access all of the second
drive? (In case it matters, it's a Western Digital ATA100/UDMA 5)
2 answers Last reply
More about doesn recognize partition slave

    "Smoker~" <schmoe@aol.com> wrote:

    >I added a second hard drive to my system jumpered as primary slave. Both
    >hard drives are on the same IDE cable and properly recognized in the BIOS.
    >
    >This second hdd is 30GB with two partitions, but Win XP only assigns one
    >drive letter to it and claims the capacity limit is 10GB. There are no
    >problems indicated in Device Manager where the drive is recognized as 30GB.
    >
    >Using a third party "explorer" the 20GB partition is properly assigned a
    >drive letter, obviously there and I can see all the data. What can I do to
    >make Windows recognize the partition and let me access all of the second
    >drive? (In case it matters, it's a Western Digital ATA100/UDMA 5)

    Use Start - Run - DISKMGMT.MSC and see what it reports regarding the
    second drive.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    > "Smoker~" <schmoe@aol.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I added a second hard drive to my system jumpered as primary slave. Both
    >>hard drives are on the same IDE cable and properly recognized in the BIOS.
    >>
    >>This second hdd is 30GB with two partitions, but Win XP only assigns one
    >>drive letter to it and claims the capacity limit is 10GB. There are no
    >>problems indicated in Device Manager where the drive is recognized as
    >>30GB.
    >>
    >>Using a third party "explorer" the 20GB partition is properly assigned a
    >>drive letter, obviously there and I can see all the data. What can I do to
    >>make Windows recognize the partition and let me access all of the second
    >>drive? (In case it matters, it's a Western Digital ATA100/UDMA 5)
    >>

    > Use Start - Run - DISKMGMT.MSC and see what it reports regarding the
    > second drive.

    It shows up as (IDE) 1 with two correctly reported partitions.

    When I right click on the absent partition, or click anything on the toobar,
    the drop-down menus are blank, except for Help which I looked at and tried
    to follow through, but in Computer Management/Storage the folder icons under
    that have nothing written beside them (except one that reads Removable
    Storage) and I'm looking for Disk Management. Clicking on the two unknown
    folders doesn't do anything. In the right side window the partition is
    there, but again, right-clicking on it brings an all white drop-down menu.

    I had disabled a lot of services (via BlackViper.com) that seemed certain I
    wouldn't need and my previously down & out system started running as fast as
    it should. That was a couple weeks ago and no problems until this. Is there
    a service related to this that I could check and renable if that's the
    problem?

    I'm merely copying files from one drive to the other and can get that done
    with the 3rd party explorer, but I have a SATA drive here I'd like to
    install and fear problems before even giving it a go.

Partition Hard Drives Windows XP