Can broadband connection be kept open when switching users?

With XP Pro, can a broadband connection be kept open when switching users
via Start/Log Off/Switch User?
17 answers Last reply
More about broadband connection open switching users

    Broadband is an always-on service. It makes no difference who is logged on
    or when or even if the computer is off. The broadband signal is always
    present.

    "Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > With XP Pro, can a broadband connection be kept open when switching users
    > via Start/Log Off/Switch User?

    Thank you for your response.

    Umm. On my stand-alone computer, the broadband connection goes whenever
    anyone switches user. The broadband connection icon has to be clicked to
    connect again. Does this indicate something not working properly?

    This icon also has to be clicked each time the computer is turned on and a
    user account opened - is this what one would expect?

    Regards

    Cycle.

    > Broadband is an always-on service. It makes no difference who is logged
    > on or when or even if the computer is off. The broadband signal is always
    > present.

    > "Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> With XP Pro, can a broadband connection be kept open when switching users
    >> via Start/Log Off/Switch User?

    if you switch profiles or reboot, the browser has to be reopened to access
    the internet in that profile. Broadband is always on but the program to
    access it is not.

    "Cycle" wrote:

    > Thank you for your response.
    >
    > Umm. On my stand-alone computer, the broadband connection goes whenever
    > anyone switches user. The broadband connection icon has to be clicked to
    > connect again. Does this indicate something not working properly?
    >
    > This icon also has to be clicked each time the computer is turned on and a
    > user account opened - is this what one would expect?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Cycle.

    > > Broadband is an always-on service. It makes no difference who is logged
    > > on or when or even if the computer is off. The broadband signal is always
    > > present.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    > > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    > > "Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> With XP Pro, can a broadband connection be kept open when switching users
    > >> via Start/Log Off/Switch User?

    My Cox connection logs off when switching users. But the signal is still
    there you just have to logon as the new user.

    > Thank you for your response.
    >
    > Umm. On my stand-alone computer, the broadband connection goes whenever
    > anyone switches user. The broadband connection icon has to be clicked to
    > connect again. Does this indicate something not working properly?
    >
    > This icon also has to be clicked each time the computer is turned on and a
    > user account opened - is this what one would expect?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Cycle.

    >> Broadband is an always-on service. It makes no difference who is logged
    >> on or when or even if the computer is off. The broadband signal is
    >> always present.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> With XP Pro, can a broadband connection be kept open when switching
    >>> users via Start/Log Off/Switch User?

    I agree with Roblee. If the icon you are referring to is a large blue e,
    that is not a broadband icon. That is simply the Internet Explorer icon
    that starts the browser. It may have a "branded" icon put there by the
    internet service provider, but it is not the service. Like Roblee says, it
    is just the access through a browser.

    "Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you for your response.
    >
    > Umm. On my stand-alone computer, the broadband connection goes whenever
    > anyone switches user. The broadband connection icon has to be clicked to
    > connect again. Does this indicate something not working properly?
    >
    > This icon also has to be clicked each time the computer is turned on and a
    > user account opened - is this what one would expect?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Cycle.

    >> Broadband is an always-on service. It makes no difference who is logged
    >> on or when or even if the computer is off. The broadband signal is
    >> always present.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> With XP Pro, can a broadband connection be kept open when switching
    >>> users via Start/Log Off/Switch User?

    Taking this one step at a time.

    I turn on my computer, and open a user account.

    I then click on an icon labelled "Speedtouch Connection". Speedtouch is the
    name of the software/adsl modem supplied by the internet service provider. A
    box opens up labelled Speedtouch Dial-up, then an icon showing two monitors
    appears in the notification area, which shows "Speed 576.0 Kbps" when the
    mouse pointer is hovered over it. The internet connection is now made.

    If I turned on the computer, opened a user account, and then immediately
    opened Internet Explorer, then I get the message "This page cannot be
    displayed". There is no internet connection. I get the internet connection
    by clicking on the Speedtouch Connection icon, as described above.

    Does this sound all right so far?

    If I switch users, there is no automatic internet connection for the new
    user, and opening Internet Explorer gives the "This page cannot be
    displayed" message: I have to click on the Speedtouch Connection icon to get
    an internet connection.

    If I switch users again, back to the first user, there is no internet
    connection. Opening Internet Explorer gives the message "This page cannot be
    displayed". I have to click once more on the Speedtouch Connection icon on
    the desktop.

    Does it seem that something is wrong here?

    >I agree with Roblee. If the icon you are referring to is a large blue e,
    >that is not a broadband icon. That is simply the Internet Explorer icon
    >that starts the browser. It may have a "branded" icon put there by the
    >internet service provider, but it is not the service. Like Roblee says, it
    >is just the access through a browser.

    > "Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Thank you for your response.
    >>
    >> Umm. On my stand-alone computer, the broadband connection goes whenever
    >> anyone switches user. The broadband connection icon has to be clicked to
    >> connect again. Does this indicate something not working properly?
    >>
    >> This icon also has to be clicked each time the computer is turned on and
    >> a user account opened - is this what one would expect?
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Cycle.
    >>

    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> Broadband is an always-on service. It makes no difference who is logged
    >>> on or when or even if the computer is off. The broadband signal is
    >>> always present.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> "Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Broadband for cable modems does not require the same steps. You can just
    click on the Explorer icon and go unless the ISP has something set up
    otherwise. Since I use Comcast and subscribe to MSN9, all I do is click on
    the butterfly and go. But even if I didn't click on an Explorer icon, I
    would still be connected to the internet.
    Antivirus, antispyware, and operating system updates show up whether I am
    surfing the net or not, etc.

    Yours is a dial up connection. I read your reference to broadband
    differently.

    > Taking this one step at a time.
    >
    > I turn on my computer, and open a user account.
    >
    > I then click on an icon labelled "Speedtouch Connection". Speedtouch is
    > the name of the software/adsl modem supplied by the internet service
    > provider. A box opens up labelled Speedtouch Dial-up, then an icon showing
    > two monitors appears in the notification area, which shows "Speed 576.0
    > Kbps" when the mouse pointer is hovered over it. The internet connection
    > is now made.
    >
    > If I turned on the computer, opened a user account, and then immediately
    > opened Internet Explorer, then I get the message "This page cannot be
    > displayed". There is no internet connection. I get the internet connection
    > by clicking on the Speedtouch Connection icon, as described above.
    >
    > Does this sound all right so far?
    >
    > If I switch users, there is no automatic internet connection for the new
    > user, and opening Internet Explorer gives the "This page cannot be
    > displayed" message: I have to click on the Speedtouch Connection icon to
    > get an internet connection.
    >
    > If I switch users again, back to the first user, there is no internet
    > connection. Opening Internet Explorer gives the message "This page cannot
    > be displayed". I have to click once more on the Speedtouch Connection icon
    > on the desktop.
    >
    > Does it seem that something is wrong here?

    >>I agree with Roblee. If the icon you are referring to is a large blue e,
    >>that is not a broadband icon. That is simply the Internet Explorer icon
    >>that starts the browser. It may have a "branded" icon put there by the
    >>internet service provider, but it is not the service. Like Roblee says,
    >>it is just the access through a browser.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thank you for your response.
    >>>
    >>> Umm. On my stand-alone computer, the broadband connection goes whenever
    >>> anyone switches user. The broadband connection icon has to be clicked to
    >>> connect again. Does this indicate something not working properly?
    >>>
    >>> This icon also has to be clicked each time the computer is turned on and
    >>> a user account opened - is this what one would expect?
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>>
    >>> Cycle.
    >>>

    >>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

    You have DSL. The Speedtouch icon sounds like the software that was
    installed for the connection to your provider. It has your PPOe ID and
    password that your provider assigned to you programmed into it. Your best
    bet is to buy a router (Linksys 4 port or whatever brand you like) and
    configure the router with the PPOe ID and password. This will keep you
    connection alive for you when swiching users. You will not need to use the
    Speedtouch software to connect and now you can unistall it. This will give
    you back some resources on your PC. Hope that helps.

    "Cycle" wrote:

    > Taking this one step at a time.
    >
    > I turn on my computer, and open a user account.
    >
    > I then click on an icon labelled "Speedtouch Connection". Speedtouch is the
    > name of the software/adsl modem supplied by the internet service provider. A
    > box opens up labelled Speedtouch Dial-up, then an icon showing two monitors
    > appears in the notification area, which shows "Speed 576.0 Kbps" when the
    > mouse pointer is hovered over it. The internet connection is now made.
    >
    > If I turned on the computer, opened a user account, and then immediately
    > opened Internet Explorer, then I get the message "This page cannot be
    > displayed". There is no internet connection. I get the internet connection
    > by clicking on the Speedtouch Connection icon, as described above.
    >
    > Does this sound all right so far?
    >
    > If I switch users, there is no automatic internet connection for the new
    > user, and opening Internet Explorer gives the "This page cannot be
    > displayed" message: I have to click on the Speedtouch Connection icon to get
    > an internet connection.
    >
    > If I switch users again, back to the first user, there is no internet
    > connection. Opening Internet Explorer gives the message "This page cannot be
    > displayed". I have to click once more on the Speedtouch Connection icon on
    > the desktop.
    >
    > Does it seem that something is wrong here?

    > >I agree with Roblee. If the icon you are referring to is a large blue e,
    > >that is not a broadband icon. That is simply the Internet Explorer icon
    > >that starts the browser. It may have a "branded" icon put there by the
    > >internet service provider, but it is not the service. Like Roblee says, it
    > >is just the access through a browser.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    > > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    > > "Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Thank you for your response.
    > >>
    > >> Umm. On my stand-alone computer, the broadband connection goes whenever
    > >> anyone switches user. The broadband connection icon has to be clicked to
    > >> connect again. Does this indicate something not working properly?
    > >>
    > >> This icon also has to be clicked each time the computer is turned on and
    > >> a user account opened - is this what one would expect?
    > >>
    > >> Regards
    > >>
    > >> Cycle.
    > >>

    > >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

    Sorry replied to the wrong post. Thought I was replying to you, but managed
    to reply to Colin. Here is what I said in case you missed it.

    "Cycle" wrote:

    > With XP Pro, can a broadband connection be kept open when switching users
    > via Start/Log Off/Switch User?

    Thank you all for your comments.

    From what you have explained to me, there seems to be something happening
    that is unusual, and it is not a WinXP matter. I think I must contact my ISP
    (Pipex) to see if they can cast some light on the situation. I seem to have
    some element of dialup, but the ISP describes the service as "broadband
    internet access".

    Many thanks for your interest, and for getting me started on sorting this
    out.

    Cycle.

    > Thank you all for your comments.
    >
    > From what you have explained to me, there seems to be something happening
    > that is unusual, and it is not a WinXP matter. I think I must contact my
    ISP
    > (Pipex) to see if they can cast some light on the situation. I seem to
    have
    > some element of dialup, but the ISP describes the service as "broadband
    > internet access".
    >
    > Many thanks for your interest, and for getting me started on sorting this
    > out.
    >
    > Cycle.

    There seems to be some confusion, perhaps due to national variations in the
    use of the word "Broadband".

    In the UK, it is generally (though not exclusively) used outside the
    technical community as the description for what is, in some other countries,
    called DSL and ADSL.

    Thanks for all the help. I am beginning to understand now the difference
    between using a modem or using a router.

    Regards

    Cycle.

    "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo_header> wrote in message

    > Broadband simply means providing multiple channels over the same
    > physical communications medium whether it be by using multiple
    > frequencies (multiplexing), phase shifting, or whatever. The term
    > "broadband" is independent of the technology used to transmit and
    > receive that communication whether it be cable, [a]DSL, ISDN, microwave,
    > or whatever. ...........

    ...> Since the user can define their own PPPoE connectoid, they don't need
    > some 3rd party software to do it, so all the user really needs is their
    > own PPPoE connectoid defined under each user account. From a cursory
    > review of pipex.com's help pages, it looks like they really want to hide
    > the fact that you can probably dump their software and just define your
    > own PPPoE connectoid (which makes me wonder what else their software
    > does).

    Yes, all that may well be true, but probably over 90% of Internet users
    these days (including me) would not have vaguest idea what you are talking
    about. We are just ordinary members of the public with little or no
    technical knowledge, for whom the word Broadband is only understood as a
    generic term meaning "High Speed Internet" and nothing else. I only know
    that there are different definitions for ADSL/DSL because I happen to have
    friends in other parts of Europe who use those terms.

    Don't let that stop you giving explanations, however, because a newsgroup
    called "newusers" seems like a good place for all us non-technical people to
    get answers to our inevitable problems - as long as we know enough to use a
    newsgroup. Just remember, though, that many of us are only simple folk.

    regards

    Vernon
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Vanguard" wrote ...

    > Try talking to users where everything is a "thingy" and
    > encompasses all possibilities with "or something". "I load this thingy
    > and click on that thingy and then a thingy shows up. I think the
    > problem is with the last thingy, or something."

    I could not agree with you more, however, that _is_ about the level of
    understanding of the vast majority of users now.

    When you see advertising in the UK for High Speed internet services, you
    only see one descriptive word - "Broadband". As a result people just have
    no idea that any of the other terms exist let alone have any understanding
    of their meaning. The computer is joined to something on the wall and that
    is the end of technical knowledge.

    If you are advising a UK user, you would probably be best to assume, unless
    they say otherwise, that you are talking to someone who is on an ADSL
    connection via a standard domestic telephone line with filters.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    A registry-edit, described at kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_modem.htm (section on
    Fast User Switching and Internet Connection), to which I was directed, seems
    to work well and provides an answer to my original question.

    Regards

    Cycle

    ..

    > "Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> With XP Pro, can a broadband connection be kept open when switching users
    >> via Start/Log Off/Switch User?

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 01:43:50 -0000, "Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Taking this one step at a time.
    >
    >I turn on my computer, and open a user account.
    >
    >I then click on an icon labelled "Speedtouch Connection". Speedtouch is the
    >name of the software/adsl modem supplied by the internet service provider. A
    >box opens up labelled Speedtouch Dial-up, then an icon showing two monitors
    >appears in the notification area, which shows "Speed 576.0 Kbps" when the
    >mouse pointer is hovered over it. The internet connection is now made.
    >
    >If I turned on the computer, opened a user account, and then immediately
    >opened Internet Explorer, then I get the message "This page cannot be
    >displayed". There is no internet connection. I get the internet connection
    >by clicking on the Speedtouch Connection icon, as described above.
    >
    >Does this sound all right so far?
    >
    >If I switch users, there is no automatic internet connection for the new
    >user, and opening Internet Explorer gives the "This page cannot be
    >displayed" message: I have to click on the Speedtouch Connection icon to get
    >an internet connection.
    >
    >If I switch users again, back to the first user, there is no internet
    >connection. Opening Internet Explorer gives the message "This page cannot be
    >displayed". I have to click once more on the Speedtouch Connection icon on
    >the desktop.
    >
    >Does it seem that something is wrong here?

    This is most likely a PPPoE connection not a true DHCP "always on"
    connection.

    --
    the JarHead

    There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    A: Yes, a broadband connection can be kept open when switching
    users... but your connection method sounds too complicated. I'll let
    the experts here trouble shoot for you - but rest assured you don't
    have to lose your connection.

    ```````````````````````````

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 02:16:26 GMT, Carpe Diem <someone@somewhen.org>
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 01:43:50 -0000, "Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Taking this one step at a time.
    > >
    > >I turn on my computer, and open a user account.
    > >
    > >I then click on an icon labelled "Speedtouch Connection". Speedtouch is the
    > >name of the software/adsl modem supplied by the internet service provider. A
    > >box opens up labelled Speedtouch Dial-up, then an icon showing two monitors
    > >appears in the notification area, which shows "Speed 576.0 Kbps" when the
    > >mouse pointer is hovered over it. The internet connection is now made.
    > >
    > >If I turned on the computer, opened a user account, and then immediately
    > >opened Internet Explorer, then I get the message "This page cannot be
    > >displayed". There is no internet connection. I get the internet connection
    > >by clicking on the Speedtouch Connection icon, as described above.
    > >
    > >Does this sound all right so far?
    > >
    > >If I switch users, there is no automatic internet connection for the new
    > >user, and opening Internet Explorer gives the "This page cannot be
    > >displayed" message: I have to click on the Speedtouch Connection icon to get
    > >an internet connection.
    > >
    > >If I switch users again, back to the first user, there is no internet
    > >connection. Opening Internet Explorer gives the message "This page cannot be
    > >displayed". I have to click once more on the Speedtouch Connection icon on
    > >the desktop.
    > >
    > >Does it seem that something is wrong here?
    > >

    > This is most likely a PPPoE connection not a true DHCP "always on"
    > connection.

    "We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude"

    "If we run into such debt, as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements, for our calling and our creeds...we [will] have no time to think, no means of calling our miss-managers to account but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow-sufferers. And this is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle in one instance becomes a precedent for another till the bulk of society is reduced to be mere automatons of misery.

    "And the fore-horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that and in its train wretchedness and oppression." - Thomas Jefferson - Author of The Declaration of Independence, Founding Father and Third U.S. President

Broadband Connection Microsoft Windows XP