2.8GHz Xeon Workstation for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

loucar

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hi, I'm looking to sell my old xeon workstation which once cost over £2000. It still works absolutely fine and I've added the specs below. What I would like to know is how much do you think it's worth today?

2.8 GHz Dual Xeon Computer with Super X5DAL-TG2 board

2 x 2.8 GHz Xeon Intel processors.

Super X5DAL-TG2 motherboard

4 x 512Mb PC2100 DDR RAM.

Matrox Parhelia 512 128MB AGP graphics card.

Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1 Audio card (OEM).

Maxtor 160 gigabytes DiamondMax 21 PATA Hard Drive.

Plextor 708A DVD±R/±RW,

MSI D16 DVDROM drive.

Original cd of Windows XP Pro (OEM) with serial.

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Sorry, but it's not worth much. Certainly not worth paying shipping on on. You might actually get more money selling it for parts.

You might get fifty dollars for it in the U.S. (Though even that is more than I'd pay).

loucar

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Thanks for the reply.

If it isn't worth very much at all then is there an alternative like recycling in an environmentally friendly way or re-using for some menial but useful task?

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I'm not sure what the situation is in your country, but her we have a recycling center that takes them and disassembles them for parts. Goodwill sometimes takes them. It's not a bad machine; it's just that the prices on new desktops are so low (300 dollars will get you a low end HP or Dell dual core with an LCD monitor a DVD burner, card reader, 500 gig hard drive, 2-4 gigs RAM, Win 7, and much lower overall power consumption) that the market for older hardware is really limited to someone that has a specific need (xp specific games, etc.).

It'd make a fine file or game server for someone not concerned with overall power consumption.

There are people, such as myself, who keep older systems so that they can play around with older programs, so selling is a possibility if there's someone in your area with that hobby. The issue there really is that they'll likely need to be close enough to pick it up as shipping costs, in my experience, rapidly make buying an old box too expensive.

loucar

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Well I'll ebay it for local pickup in case someone has some use for it otherwise it's off to the recyling centre!

Thanks again for all the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS