Reinstall XP from upgrade CD?

I purchased the Windows Home XP "upgrade" edition to upgrade my computer,
which had Windows ME pre-installed. I am now getting a new computer (no
operating system pre-installed) - can I install XP to the new computer from
the "upgrade" disk? It appears that I might have to put in the CD of my
older version of Windows during the process, which of course I do not have
since it was pre-installed ME. Am I going to be able to do this?

Thanks.

Even if you had the CD, it is part of the original computer.

If you are buying upgrade, you also need a qualifying operating system CD.
It is not qualifying if it is currently installed on a computer.
From your description you need the full version and not upgrade.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Nite" <nitemiche@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
>I purchased the Windows Home XP "upgrade" edition to upgrade my computer,
> which had Windows ME pre-installed. I am now getting a new computer (no
> operating system pre-installed) - can I install XP to the new computer
> from
> the "upgrade" disk? It appears that I might have to put in the CD of my
> older version of Windows during the process, which of course I do not have
> since it was pre-installed ME. Am I going to be able to do this?
>
> Thanks.

No. You cannot transfer the XP upgrade license to a new computer unless you
have a qualifying edition of Windows available for the new computer. The ME
license is not transferable since it was an OEM license. If you have a
qualifying edition of Windows (retail Win98, 98SE, or ME) for the new
computer you must uninstall the upgrade edition of XP from the old machine
to use it on the new one. About all you can do for the old machine is
restore ME. You are a copy of Windows short.

In news:uKThoLPKFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Nite <nitemiche@nospamhotmail.com> typed:

> I purchased the Windows Home XP "upgrade" edition to upgrade my
> computer, which had Windows ME pre-installed. I am now getting
> a new
> computer (no operating system pre-installed) - can I install XP
> the new computer from the "upgrade" disk? It appears that I
> might
> have to put in the CD of my older version of Windows during the
> process, which of course I do not have since it was
> pre-installed ME.
> Am I going to be able to do this?

First of all, what will happen to the old computer? You can't
have the same copy of XP on both machines. If you uninstall XP
from the old computer, or trash the computer, the XP Upgrade is
available to be used on another computer. If you don't, it's not
available.

Assuming that you uninstall XP from the old computer, you can't
use the upgrade unless you have a qualifying product to upgrade
from or its installation CD to insert (as you say). So you have
two choices: either buy a full copy of XP, or buy a copy of an
older operating system (such as Windows 98) to use to qualify for
the upgrade.

Buying a copy of Windows 98 is probably the cheaper choice.

Please reply to the newsgroup

You may want to test by burning from the old PC: C:\Windows\Options to a CD.
Use that CD to install Windows ME to the new PC. Reboot and install XP
upgrade to the new PC.

If you need the 25 digit Serial Key it is in the old PC | Start | Run |
regedit <enter> | HKey Local Machine | Software | Microsoft | Windows |
Curent Version | ProductKey |

The 25 digit Product Key is there which you need to print or write the
number.

You will find much more info at:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
=======================================
Regards, Gary 'Doc' Adams in Louisiana

CTLouisiana @ msn comREMOVE
http://computerteachers.digital-mall-online.com/
~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~
=======================================

Ken Blake wrote:
> In news:uKThoLPKFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Nite <nitemiche@nospamhotmail.com> typed:
>
>> I purchased the Windows Home XP "upgrade" edition to upgrade my
>> computer, which had Windows ME pre-installed. I am now getting
>> a new
>> computer (no operating system pre-installed) - can I install XP
>> the new computer from the "upgrade" disk? It appears that I
>> might
>> have to put in the CD of my older version of Windows during the
>> process, which of course I do not have since it was
>> pre-installed ME.
>> Am I going to be able to do this?
>

> First of all, what will happen to the old computer? You can't
> have the same copy of XP on both machines. If you uninstall XP
> from the old computer, or trash the computer, the XP Upgrade is
> available to be used on another computer. If you don't, it's not
> available.
>
> Assuming that you uninstall XP from the old computer, you can't
> use the upgrade unless you have a qualifying product to upgrade
> from or its installation CD to insert (as you say). So you have
> two choices: either buy a full copy of XP, or buy a copy of an
> older operating system (such as Windows 98) to use to qualify for
> the upgrade.
>
> Buying a copy of Windows 98 is probably the cheaper choice.

Although, Ken, to adhere to the EULA strictly, the upgrade is now 'spent' as
the preinstalled ME was used as the QP and you and I both know that it
states the /original/ product used to qualify - i.e. the upgrade is tied to
the ME licence, which is tied to the old system, ergo the upgrade is tied to
the old system.

But, of course, rules were meant to be bent a little... ;o)

Well, well, well,

Not so much straight laced as 'bent' laced, eh, S..

A couple of days ago, maybe, I came across an example of your one line
put-downs in either office.misc or publisher.. my day had not been
particularly good up to that point, but the timing was sooooooooooo good..
thank you..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Well, well, well,
>
> Not so much straight laced as 'bent' laced, eh, S..
>
> A couple of days ago, maybe, I came across an example of your one line
> put-downs in either office.misc or publisher.. my day had not been
> particularly good up to that point, but the timing was sooooooooooo
> good.. thank you..

Just count yourself lucky that you're in Toronto, buddy! ;o) <eg>

But I aim to please (though, I often miss)