Can Detect/Can't Access User Profile

Hi all,

My system is Pentium lll, 650 Mhz, 368MB RAM, Win XP PRO, SP1, IE 6, OE 6.

Saga of system reconfiguration near completion.

A user profile containing many preferred settings and content is listed in
files scanned by Search. Being able to retrieve it would save much time.

Can you tell me how I can add it to the current list of user profiles?

Thank you,
Terry
--
Peaceis not to be pursued; it is a by-product of love.

Hi,

If it is a profile from a former installation, you can't. The SID's do not
match the new installation, and there is no import option. What you can do
is create a new user profile, then copy the contents into it, see:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Peaceworks" <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> My system is Pentium lll, 650 Mhz, 368MB RAM, Win XP PRO, SP1, IE 6, OE 6.
>
> Saga of system reconfiguration near completion.
>
> A user profile containing many preferred settings and content is listed in
> files scanned by Search. Being able to retrieve it would save much time.
>
> Can you tell me how I can add it to the current list of user profiles?
>
> Thank you,
> Terry
> --
> Peaceis not to be pursued; it is a by-product of love.

Hey Rick,

Problem solved. Thank you for your response and perfectly appropriate
solution. Why am I not surprised after being met with success everytime I've
posted questions here?

One thing I'm slowly beginning to realize is how extensive the MS Support
Knowledfe Base is. I'll be sure and try more responsibly to access the
Knowledge Base before I come to the News Group in future. I know you guys are
busy.

Again. my most sincere appreciation.

Terry

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If it is a profile from a former installation, you can't. The SID's do not
> match the new installation, and there is no import option. What you can do
> is create a new user profile, then copy the contents into it, see:
>
> How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Peaceworks" <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > My system is Pentium lll, 650 Mhz, 368MB RAM, Win XP PRO, SP1, IE 6, OE 6.
> >
> > Saga of system reconfiguration near completion.
> >
> > A user profile containing many preferred settings and content is listed in
> > files scanned by Search. Being able to retrieve it would save much time.
> >
> > Can you tell me how I can add it to the current list of user profiles?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Terry
> > --
> > Peaceis not to be pursued; it is a by-product of love.

TRENDING THREADS