taskbar size

March 15, 2005 8:07:03 AM

I read the thread begun by Gunjani, and I have the same problem. My taskbar
suddenly, and for no apparent reason, swelled to double thickness. However,
the two-headed arrow does not work to restore it. If I drag the border all
the way down, I can reduce the taskbar to a thin line, but the slightest
movement back jumps it to double thickness. Help?

More about : taskbar size

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:56:26 PM

Hi there,

To Lock Size and Position of the Taskbar, apply this patch:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/taskbarlock....

Usage: Double-click the file and answer and YES when prompted.

--
HTH
Meena
"Shneur" <Shneur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I read the thread begun by Gunjani, and I have the same problem. My
taskbar
> suddenly, and for no apparent reason, swelled to double thickness.
However,
> the two-headed arrow does not work to restore it. If I drag the border
all
> the way down, I can reduce the taskbar to a thin line, but the slightest
> movement back jumps it to double thickness. Help?
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 4:19:01 PM

"Meena" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> To Lock Size and Position of the Taskbar, apply this patch:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/taskbarlock....
>
> Usage: Double-click the file and answer and YES when prompted.
>
> --
> HTH
> Meena
> "Shneur" <Shneur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I read the thread begun by Gunjani, and I have the same problem. My
> taskbar
> > suddenly, and for no apparent reason, swelled to double thickness.
> However,
> > the two-headed arrow does not work to restore it. If I drag the border
> all
> > the way down, I can reduce the taskbar to a thin line, but the slightest
> > movement back jumps it to double thickness. Help?
>

> Meena, your advice looks right, but I can't fugure out how to do it. You said "double click the file." What file? The patch, at the link you give, is just two lines of code. I don't see anyplace to double click it. Could you make your instructions a bit more elementary? Thanks.
March 16, 2005 8:21:25 PM

Did you download anything to the desktop? I think that's how the reg fixes
work on Kelly's site. You download a file and double click it to run it.

> "Meena" wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> To Lock Size and Position of the Taskbar, apply this patch:
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/taskbarlock....
>>
>> Usage: Double-click the file and answer and YES when prompted.
>>
>> --
>> HTH
>> Meena
>> "Shneur" <Shneur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I read the thread begun by Gunjani, and I have the same problem. My
>> taskbar
>> > suddenly, and for no apparent reason, swelled to double thickness.
>> However,
>> > the two-headed arrow does not work to restore it. If I drag the border
>> all
>> > the way down, I can reduce the taskbar to a thin line, but the
>> > slightest
>> > movement back jumps it to double thickness. Help?
>>

>> Meena, your advice looks right, but I can't fugure out how to do it. You
>> said "double click the file." What file? The patch, at the link you
>> give, is just two lines of code. I don't see anyplace to double click
>> it. Could you make your instructions a bit more elementary? Thanks.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 9:17:07 PM

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Did you download anything to the desktop? I think that's how the reg fixes
> work on Kelly's site. You download a file and double click it to run it.

> "Shneur" <Shneur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Meena" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> To Lock Size and Position of the Taskbar, apply this patch:
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/taskbarlock....
> >>
> >> Usage: Double-click the file and answer and YES when prompted.
> >>
> >> --
> >> HTH
> >> Meena
> >> "Shneur" <Shneur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> taskbar
> >> However,
> >> all
> >>

> >> Meena, your advice looks right, but I can't fugure out how to do it. You
> >> said "double click the file." What file? The patch, at the link you
> >> give, is just two lines of code. I don't see anyplace to double click
> >> it. Could you make your instructions a bit more elementary? Thanks.
>

> Thank you Colin Barnhorst, but still no cigar. I did as you said: downloaded the patch and ran it. I got the message "successfully entered in registry." Nevertheless, my taskbar remains at double thickness, and the two-headed arrow still only alternates it between that an a line. Can you think of anything else?
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 2:52:30 AM

The only time I had a weird problem with my Taskbar I closed the Language
toolbar and the problem went away. Perhaps you have already removed all the
toolbars in the Taskbar, but if not, get back to just the basic Taskbar and
see what you have.

"Shneur" <Shneur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 8E54A7F-D63D-49FF-9B49-BBC4A8FC5EBC@microsoft.com...

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Did you download anything to the desktop? I think that's how the reg
>> fixes
>> work on Kelly's site. You download a file and double click it to run it.
>>
>> --
>> "Shneur" <Shneur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> Thank you Colin Barnhorst, but still no cigar. I did as you said:
>> downloaded the patch and ran it. I got the message "successfully entered
>> in registry." Nevertheless, my taskbar remains at double thickness, and
>> the two-headed arrow still only alternates it between that an a line.
>> Can you think of anything else?
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 7:31:06 AM

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> The only time I had a weird problem with my Taskbar I closed the Language
> toolbar and the problem went away. Perhaps you have already removed all the
> toolbars in the Taskbar, but if not, get back to just the basic Taskbar and
> see what you have.

> "Shneur" <Shneur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 8E54A7F-D63D-49FF-9B49-BBC4A8FC5EBC@microsoft.com...
> >

> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you download anything to the desktop? I think that's how the reg
> >> fixes
> >> work on Kelly's site. You download a file and double click it to run it.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
> >> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
> >> "Shneur" <Shneur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Thank you Colin Barnhorst, but still no cigar. I did as you said:
> >> downloaded the patch and ran it. I got the message "successfully entered
> >> in registry." Nevertheless, my taskbar remains at double thickness, and
> >> the two-headed arrow still only alternates it between that an a line.
> >> Can you think of anything else?
>

> Well, thanks again: we have a partial success. Removing ALL the toolbars from the taskbar did indeed return it to its former lean appearance. However, this included the Quck Launch section, which I use all the time (and which was comfortably accommodated before this trouble started). I can do without the Language and Links areas, but I really need Quick Launch, e.g. to go to my email while an open program is covering the regular desktop icons. BTW, do I assume correctly that "Lock Taskbar" being shaded out is because of the registry patch?
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 8:02:38 PM

"Shneur" wrote:
> [...]
> cigar. I did as you said:
>   > >> downloaded the patch and ran it. I got the
> message "successfully entered
>   > >> in registry." Nevertheless, my taskbar
> remains at double thickness, and
>   > >> the two-headed arrow still only alternates it
> between that an a line.
>   > >> Can you think of anything else?
> >

> > Well, thanks again: we have a partial success. Removing ALL
> the toolbars from the taskbar did indeed return it to its
> former lean appearance. However, this included the Quck
> Launch section, which I use all the time (and which was
> comfortably accommodated before this trouble started). I can
> do without the Language and Links areas, but I really need
> Quick Launch, e.g. to go to my email while an open program is
> covering the regular desktop icons. BTW, do I assume
> correctly that "Lock Taskbar" being shaded out is because of

I have finaly worked this one out. This issue have been bugging me
for some time now. I have found (in my case anyway) that the problem
of the double thickness taskbar was caused by the Quick Launch
toolbar, I discovered that if I chose not to display the tool bar
(right click taskbar select Toolbars and deselect the Quick Launch
option) I found that after doing this I was able to reset my taskbar
thickness to single size. When I put the toolbar back on the taskbar
went to double thickness again.
To fix it properly I unlocked the taskbar and realised that the Quick
Launch tool bar was on the line above the minimised programes, so on
the left of the minimised apps there are two dotted lines that
indicate the edge of a toolbar, when I hovered over the lines my
curson would turn double headed and I was able to move this double in
to just next to the last icon on the Quick Launch toolbar. The
taskbar went to single line size by itself. It’s kinda like when you
move your toolbars around in Word or IE.javascript:emoticon(’:D ’)
Very Happy

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-taskbar-size-fto...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1131431
!