Quick Launch

Can the Quick Launch panel in the task bar only contain three items, or can
it be expanded?
10 answers Last reply
More about quick launch

    Right-click on the Taskbar and click on "Lock the Taskbar"
    to unlock it. Drag your desired icon to the Taskbar. Next,
    right-click on the Taskbar again and click on "Lock the Taskbar"
    to lock it.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    In news:d16s2t$9pd$1@rdel.co.uk,
    Vernon <vernon@nospam.com> typed:

    > Can the Quick Launch panel in the task bar only contain three
    > items,
    > or can it be expanded?

    It can contain many more. If you are set to see the default of
    three and add more, you have to click the right-pointing arrow to
    scroll to the right and see the rest. But the bar to the right of
    the three icons you see is movable; grab it with the mouse (it
    will turn into a two headed arrow) and drag it to the right to
    permit you to see more at once (if it won't move, the taskbar
    may be locked. In that case, right click on it and uncheck "Lock
    the taskbar," then try again).

    However the bigger you make the Quick Launch Bar, the less room
    remains on the Task Bar for other things. So note that, although
    the Quick Launch Bar sits on the task bar by default, it doesn't
    have to be there. It can be dragged off the Task Bar entirely and
    put on another side of the screen, where there may be more room
    for it.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Look to the right of the third icon in the Quick Launch toolbar. If you see
    a right chevron (>>) you have more icons. If you click on the chevron you
    will see the rest. You can drag and drop to change the order of icons on
    the QL toolbar, so you either rearrange or expand the QL toolbar to the
    right as described in the other posts. You must unlock the Taskbar before
    changing the length of the QL toolbar.

    ><snip>
    >
    > However the bigger you make the Quick Launch Bar, the less room
    > remains on the Task Bar for other things. So note that, although
    > the Quick Launch Bar sits on the task bar by default, it doesn't
    > have to be there. It can be dragged off the Task Bar entirely and
    > put on another side of the screen, where there may be more room
    > for it.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    I like to operate with the Quick Launch on the left edge of my screen and
    set to Auto Hide...very handy and lots of room in more than one way.

    Rob

    I assume by Quick Launch you really mean the Taskbar (the QL toolbar is just
    a tenant on the Taskbar).

    You can set it to AutoHide by right clicking on the Start button, select
    Properites, select the Taskbar Tab, and check the Auto-hide the Taskbar box
    under Taskbar Appearance. Click Apply, OK.

    To move the unlocked Taskbar to the left edge, you first have to unlock the
    Taskbar (right click and select Lock the Taskbar) then grab an open area of
    the Taskbar with the mouse (left button down) and simply drag it up and left
    to the left edge. Lock the Taskbar again to fix its position.

    In news:%23LwMp$aKFHA.2812@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:

    > I assume by Quick Launch you really mean the Taskbar (the QL
    > toolbar
    > is just a tenant on the Taskbar).

    I don't like to speak for someone else, but I *think* Rob means
    what he said--the Quick Launch Bar. As you say, the QL toolbar is
    just a tenant on the Taskbar, and as he said, he likes to drag it
    off the taskbar, onto the left edge of his screen and set it to
    Auto Hide.

    I've often done the same, except that I don't auto-hide it. I may
    be unusual in this respect, but I find all forms of auto-hide to
    be annoying.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > You can set it to AutoHide by right clicking on the Start
    > button,
    > select Properites, select the Taskbar Tab, and check the
    > Auto-hide
    > the Taskbar box under Taskbar Appearance. Click Apply, OK.
    >
    > To move the unlocked Taskbar to the left edge, you first have
    > unlock the Taskbar (right click and select Lock the Taskbar)
    > then
    > grab an open area of the Taskbar with the mouse (left button
    > down)
    > and simply drag it up and left to the left edge. Lock the
    > Taskbar
    > again to fix its position.
    >>
    >> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
    >> message
    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> However the bigger you make the Quick Launch Bar, the less
    >>> room
    >>> remains on the Task Bar for other things. So note that,
    >>> although
    >>> the Quick Launch Bar sits on the task bar by default, it
    >>> doesn't
    >>> have to be there. It can be dragged off the Task Bar entirely
    >>> and
    >>> put on another side of the screen, where there may be more
    >>> room
    >>> for it.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    >>> Please reply to the newsgroup
    >>>

    >> I like to operate with the Quick Launch on the left edge of my
    >> screen and set to Auto Hide...very handy and lots of room in
    >> more
    >> than one way. Rob

    I think the auto-hide meant something else to me, i.e, the Taskbar. Good
    point.

    > In news:%23LwMp$aKFHA.2812@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:
    >
    >> I assume by Quick Launch you really mean the Taskbar (the QL toolbar
    >> is just a tenant on the Taskbar).
    >

    > I don't like to speak for someone else, but I *think* Rob means what he
    > said--the Quick Launch Bar. As you say, the QL toolbar is just a tenant on
    > the Taskbar, and as he said, he likes to drag it off the taskbar, onto the
    > left edge of his screen and set it to Auto Hide.
    >
    > I've often done the same, except that I don't auto-hide it. I may be
    > unusual in this respect, but I find all forms of auto-hide to be annoying.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup
    >

    >> You can set it to AutoHide by right clicking on the Start button,
    >> select Properites, select the Taskbar Tab, and check the Auto-hide
    >> the Taskbar box under Taskbar Appearance. Click Apply, OK.
    >>
    >> To move the unlocked Taskbar to the left edge, you first have to
    >> unlock the Taskbar (right click and select Lock the Taskbar) then
    >> grab an open area of the Taskbar with the mouse (left button down)
    >> and simply drag it up and left to the left edge. Lock the Taskbar
    >> again to fix its position.
    >>>
    >>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

    >>> I like to operate with the Quick Launch on the left edge of my
    >>> screen and set to Auto Hide...very handy and lots of room in more
    >>> than one way. Rob

    Vernon,

    Yes, just unlock your taskbar by right clicking on it and unmark "Lock the
    Taskbar". Next, move your cursor next to your Quick Launch toolbar until the
    cursor changes into a 2-way arrow. Click and hold and drag to make the Quick
    Launch longer.

    Don't forget to "Lock the Taskbar" back! :)

    --
    Jabez Gan
    Give me a chance, Let me help you!

    > Can the Quick Launch panel in the task bar only contain three items, or
    can
    > it be expanded?

    Many thanks for all the answers. I understand now how to handle it.

    Vernon

    > In news:%23LwMp$aKFHA.2812@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:
    >
    > > I assume by Quick Launch you really mean the Taskbar (the QL
    > > toolbar
    > > is just a tenant on the Taskbar).
    >

    > I don't like to speak for someone else, but I *think* Rob means
    > what he said--the Quick Launch Bar. As you say, the QL toolbar is
    > just a tenant on the Taskbar, and as he said, he likes to drag it
    > off the taskbar, onto the left edge of his screen and set it to
    > Auto Hide.
    >
    > I've often done the same, except that I don't auto-hide it. I may
    > be unusual in this respect, but I find all forms of auto-hide to
    > be annoying.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    LOL...it can be annoying when set to auto hide. Many a time I've gone to
    tick a box in MailWasher for deleting a mail, the box being on the left hand
    margin of MailWasher, only to go a couple of millimeters too far which
    activates the Quick Launch bar and I end up launching an application
    instead. Still, doesn't half teach you eye/hand coordination quickly :-)

    Rob

Microsoft Quick Launch Windows XP