Sign in with
Your question

SecuROM?

Last response: in Video Games
April 30, 2009 4:52:04 PM

I just buit my first gaming PC and have only installed Call of Duty WoW but I bought another game that I haven't used yet and it contains SecuROM Copy Protection Software and I hear that it's dangerous to your computer!

Does anyone know about this and can it be harmful to my new PC

More about : securom

April 30, 2009 7:12:47 PM

ive got a few games with that on and never had any probs whats the game you got with it on?
April 30, 2009 7:16:33 PM

Lots of games use that and I've never had any problems with it myself.
Related resources
April 30, 2009 7:31:11 PM

I have heard the same thing thrown around before, but I've had many games with it and had no problems. If it bugs you that much, install Daemon Tools Pro, rip the game disk, and emulate the secuROM.
April 30, 2009 7:42:17 PM

God_of_games said:
ive got a few games with that on and never had any probs whats the game you got with it on?

Ok well I did look into it as much as I could and ALOT of games use it! The game is GTR Evo. and from the looks of it Race 07 has it also. I am picking up Crysis Ultimate pack in a week and that also uses it. After I bought GTR Evo I read a few reviews and I already know that I'll like it since I love sim racing but this is where I discovered this SecuROM issue and since this is my first gaming PC that I have ever owned I wanted to just see what you guy's thought about this.

The big compliant is that the developer does not inform you that this software is being installed on your PC when you install it and if one ever wanted to uninstall the game that the SecuROM is still in your registry and what not.

With all the games that use this I would think that it's a safe piece of software. I hope cause I'm getting Crysis and GTR Evo regardless unless it was a very risky thing to do.
April 30, 2009 8:11:58 PM

jerkinjohn said:
Ok well I did look into it as much as I could and ALOT of games use it! The game is GTR Evo. and from the looks of it Race 07 has it also. I am picking up Crysis Ultimate pack in a week and that also uses it. After I bought GTR Evo I read a few reviews and I already know that I'll like it since I love sim racing but this is where I discovered this SecuROM issue and since this is my first gaming PC that I have ever owned I wanted to just see what you guy's thought about this.

The big compliant is that the developer does not inform you that this software is being installed on your PC when you install it and if one ever wanted to uninstall the game that the SecuROM is still in your registry and what not.

With all the games that use this I would think that it's a safe piece of software. I hope cause I'm getting Crysis and GTR Evo regardless unless it was a very risky thing to do.

i have all the crysis's games and nevery had any probs can't tell ya about the other ones you put as not try them but there be a gudie on the net sum where about how to remove that software. whats the spec of ya pc?
April 30, 2009 8:52:25 PM

God_of_games said:
whats the spec of ya pc?

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case

EVGA 750i FTW Mobo

EVGA GTX260 SO 216 ( Not OC ) at the moment

Intel CPU Q6600 ( Not OC ) at the moment

Corsair TX 750W PSU

G.Skill 4Gb RAM

WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA

Asus 22X22 SATA DVD Drive

Windows XP Pro SP3 ( 32 bit )

It's a budget PC as you can see.

As long as SecuROM doesn't screw nothin up I could care less if it's in there or not.
April 30, 2009 9:02:21 PM

I've never had a problem with Securom. Honestly you have to realize that ANY time you install a piece of software or make ANY change to your system something could go wrong. Securom may or may not add a small increase into the chances of something going wrong. But if you go around worrying about every minuet thing that could potentially mess up your system, well you might as well not even own a PC never mind game on one.

The bigger concern with Securom and DRM is the re-usability of a given game. If you've already bought it not knowing about the DRM there's little point in worrying about that now. But for future reference you may want to look into that for any games you buy (especially EA titles). Fortunately the trend now seems to be that companies are going away from activation limits and such, so you should be ok in most cases.
April 30, 2009 9:11:40 PM

purplerat said:
But if you go around worrying about every minuet thing that could potentially mess up your system, well you might as well not even own a PC never mind game on one.

Yep I hear ya! I am a Noobie for sure. I have been console gaming for over 20 years now and the PC gaming end of things is completely new to me. So I'm learning as I go here...
!