MSI Neo2 865 board

defl8ed

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
I was just wondering - I am looking at purchasing this board with a boxed P4 2.4/800. With the built in overclocking feature that THG's last review discovered, should I go out and get a different cooler for it? Will a boxed Intel Heatsink and Fan handle overclocking the FSB that much? It doesn't say on the review what type of cooling device was used. Anybody know? Anyone with experience with an overclocked P4 with the boxed cooler? I have always used 3rd party coolers, but I have used Athlons for the past 3 years now.

Stick with the boxed cpu and Intel heatsink. Mine runs at 46-60 celcius when overclocked at 150 fsb (2700), but I keep my room temp at 80-84. The black thermal pad that is on the heatsink will work fine, and preserve your 3 year Intel warranty. Also be sure all 4 catches are engaged and the heatsink is flat on the cpu, then flip the 2 levers to lock it down.

stingerman

Distinguished
May 22, 2003
IS that an MSI feature or a Intel Chipset feature. It kind of scares me that the Motherboard will automatically overclock a processor. What about yield reliability, there is no assurance that one processor will overclock just as well as another. I think this is a slippery slope MSI has embarked on.

defl8ed

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
It is a feature of the motherboard - the article was posted today on THG at http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030521/index.html. According to what they found, the motherboard sets the front side bus up to 215.7 Mhz - up from 200. Furthermore, this feature is undetectable by regular benchmark programs. It is only implemented when an application moves the processor usage up near 100%