DOOM 3

I am having a very hard time getting this game to run correctly no matter what I do, I do hope someone has been able to run this game correctly on Vista before I decide to sell it.

Here is what's going wrong:
Game starts fine, I get past all the loading/cutscenes; but once in the game & I start moving, at some point w/in the first minute, the game just freezes, sound starts skipping or stops completely, then I get a black screen w/in seconds later. I also see this message, but not all the time:
"Display driver stopped responding & has recovered - Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding & has successfully recovered."

I then have to go into Task Manager to Exit DOOM 3. Everything else is fine w/the comfuser though.

I've tried Compatibility Mode (both XP SP2 & 2K)
Running in Standard User & Admin accounts
DLing latest Video & Sound drivers
Running in DosBox (just in case)
Seaching online for help & changing some comfuser settings I read may help:
Changing my Display Settings to 800X600-32 bit.
Shuting down ALL background programs & even some Processes.
Changing my Virtual Memory.
Deleting ALL Temp Files.
Also did a complete ScanDisk & Disk Degfrag.

My Comfuser:
Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe Mobo
AMD 64 4000+ (2.40GHz) CPU
2Gigs Kingston DDR3200 Memory
BFG Nvidia 7600 GT OC Video Card
Western Digital 250Gig HDD
2 DVD-RW Optical Drives
YE-Data Diskette/Media Card Reader
Vista HP (Home Premium) 64Bit SP1
It's not great by today's standards, but I don't have the cash to do an overhaul at the moment.
6 answers Last reply
More about doom
  1. Yes, patch has been applied.
  2. did you have been try to MAX out all graphics setting inside the game???
    because in my pc doom 3 just "ok"(i played in expansion pack(ressurection of evil)i played this game on my windows xp sp3)

or update your graphics card driver???
  3. Thats a nforce chipset right? Nforce chipsets can run into this problem (I fought mine for 6 months :D).

The fix in my case:
    1: Overvolt NB to 1.4V (Default: 1.1)
    2: Overvolt RAM to 1.85V (Default: 1.7)
    3: Sync RAM-FSB (Resulted in underclocked RAM with tighter timings)

Don't know if this would work for you, but it solved all my lockup problems. Note, I don't know which of the three (or a combination of them) was the final fix; all I know is that this combo together worked in my case.
  4. All settings in games are at default, nothing looks maxed out.

Graphics & sound both have been updated as well.

I'm not sure if it's an nForce chip or not; I've went to the site, but cannot find out. What is Overvolt? Do you mean Overclock? Never have done that & don't think I ever will.

Will going down from DirectX 10 to DirectX 9.0c work? If so, how do I do this?
  5. I'm almost positive the A8N is a nforce4 based board.

By overvolt, I mean raising the voltages from default. This is somewhat standard for RAM at least (who here doesn't run DDR2 at 2.1V or above? :D). Again, I don't know what combination of the three tips I listed above fixed my individual problem, it sounds exactly like what you are running into.

At the very least, I would sync the FSB-RAM together, as thats was probably where the problem was, and doesn't require any other tweaking...(EG: A FSB of 1333 would mean a RAM speed of 667, and then setting the multiplier between them to 1:1)

Also, strangly enough, while I was crashing, I discovered that running at 1280x1024 or below greatly enhanced stability. I have no clue whatsoever why, especially since I now know the GPU wasn't at fault...
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Games Video Games