Sign in with
Your question

DOOM 3

Last response: in Video Games
April 30, 2009 9:07:49 PM

I am having a very hard time getting this game to run correctly no matter what I do, I do hope someone has been able to run this game correctly on Vista before I decide to sell it.

Here is what's going wrong:
Game starts fine, I get past all the loading/cutscenes; but once in the game & I start moving, at some point w/in the first minute, the game just freezes, sound starts skipping or stops completely, then I get a black screen w/in seconds later. I also see this message, but not all the time:
"Display driver stopped responding & has recovered - Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding & has successfully recovered."

I then have to go into Task Manager to Exit DOOM 3. Everything else is fine w/the comfuser though.

I've tried Compatibility Mode (both XP SP2 & 2K)
Running in Standard User & Admin accounts
DLing latest Video & Sound drivers
Running in DosBox (just in case)
Seaching online for help & changing some comfuser settings I read may help:
  • Changing my Display Settings to 800X600-32 bit.
  • Shuting down ALL background programs & even some Processes.
  • Changing my Virtual Memory.
  • Deleting ALL Temp Files.
  • Also did a complete ScanDisk & Disk Degfrag.

My Comfuser:
    Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe Mobo
    AMD 64 4000+ (2.40GHz) CPU
    2Gigs Kingston DDR3200 Memory
    BFG Nvidia 7600 GT OC Video Card
    Western Digital 250Gig HDD
    2 DVD-RW Optical Drives
    YE-Data Diskette/Media Card Reader
    Vista HP (Home Premium) 64Bit SP1
    It's not great by today's standards, but I don't have the cash to do an overhaul at the moment.
  • More about : doom

May 18, 2009 4:00:02 AM

Yes, patch has been applied.
    Related resources
    Can't find your answer ? Ask !
    May 18, 2009 12:20:04 PM

did you have been try to MAX out all graphics setting inside the game???
    because in my pc doom 3 just "ok"(i played in expansion pack(ressurection of evil)i played this game on my windows xp sp3)

or update your graphics card driver???

May 18, 2009 12:23:43 PM

Thats a nforce chipset right? Nforce chipsets can run into this problem (I fought mine for 6 months :D ).

The fix in my case:
    1: Overvolt NB to 1.4V (Default: 1.1)
    2: Overvolt RAM to 1.85V (Default: 1.7)
    3: Sync RAM-FSB (Resulted in underclocked RAM with tighter timings)

Don't know if this would work for you, but it solved all my lockup problems. Note, I don't know which of the three (or a combination of them) was the final fix; all I know is that this combo together worked in my case.
    May 18, 2009 6:11:26 PM

All settings in games are at default, nothing looks maxed out.

Graphics & sound both have been updated as well.

I'm not sure if it's an nForce chip or not; I've went to the site, but cannot find out. What is Overvolt? Do you mean Overclock? Never have done that & don't think I ever will.

Will going down from DirectX 10 to DirectX 9.0c work? If so, how do I do this?
    May 18, 2009 8:55:45 PM

I'm almost positive the A8N is a nforce4 based board.

By overvolt, I mean raising the voltages from default. This is somewhat standard for RAM at least (who here doesn't run DDR2 at 2.1V or above? :D ). Again, I don't know what combination of the three tips I listed above fixed my individual problem, it sounds exactly like what you are running into.

At the very least, I would sync the FSB-RAM together, as thats was probably where the problem was, and doesn't require any other tweaking...(EG: A FSB of 1333 would mean a RAM speed of 667, and then setting the multiplier between them to 1:1)

Also, strangly enough, while I was crashing, I discovered that running at 1280x1024 or below greatly enhanced stability. I have no clue whatsoever why, especially since I now know the GPU wasn't at fault...
    !