sp2 10 minutes to boot up

Hi there,

With all the problems I've read about sp2 I decided to do a clean
install of XP onto my second physical hard drive after changing it to
master and unplugging the first drive. I also wanted a fresh XP as I
have installed/uninstalled many programs. Both Hard drives are Seagate
40gig. My OEM CD is XP Home with SP1 and I have the SP2 CD I ordered
from microsoft. I never quite worked up the courage to install SP2 on my
first installation.

My computer is not a brand name but has
Gigabyte P4 Titan motherboard GA-8VD667K
Intel 845GV chipset

It is a Celeron(R) 2GHz with 256MB RAM

I installed XP SP1 and video was fine, I don't remember if there was
sound - I dont' think so.

Shutdown and rebooted

Next I installed sp2 and after restarting I had 4 bit colour at 640x480
(unable to change it) and no sound. Very hard to get round in XP with
those settings ;) Device manager had ? in front of those devices.

Shutdown and rebooted (just in case it fixed itself) and then used the
CD that came with the pc which had Chipsets and audio, amongst other
things, written on it (I don't really understand all this side of
things). I did an "express install" of drivers, shutdown and rebooted.

Well a full 10 minutes later XP finally loaded so I had a sporadically
working mouse but this time I had proper screen settings/video and
sound. It takes forever to get into anything because the mouse freezes
for 5-10 seconds every 4-5 cm it moves across the screen.

Another reboot (you never know, might work) and exactly the same - 10
minutes to boot and the computer is not really usable.

No other software was installed. I have spent hours searching Google and
everyone else seems to have slow internet or slow email or things
different to me. I've tried searching for Gigabyte and SP2 or 845GV and
SP2 or updates along with many other terms but I dont' really know what
I am trying to find. I can't really connect to the internet using that
SP2 installation as it would take hours just to set up my connection
with teh mouse woes. I have never had spyware, viruses or trojans on my
pc but the drive I was installing to was freshly formatted anyway.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, where to find a solution.
please.

Thankyou
miskairal

You might be dealing with some old drivers. You can go to:

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-8VD667K.htm

which will have the latest drivers for you devices. Download on a different
computer and put them on a CD and follow the instructions given to install.
It might be best for you to start over (clean install) and use these drivers
instead of the ones on the CD, but it doesn't hurt trying to reinstall the
drivers with your current configuration.

ps- Under the tools section on the page above is the BIOS. You will only
need to update this once as it stay on the machine even after a fresh format.

pps- Don't put the machine on the internet until you have updated to SP2 or
enable the windows built in firewall.

Good Luck,
Xrandom

"miskairal" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> With all the problems I've read about sp2 I decided to do a clean
> install of XP onto my second physical hard drive after changing it to
> master and unplugging the first drive. I also wanted a fresh XP as I
> have installed/uninstalled many programs. Both Hard drives are Seagate
> 40gig. My OEM CD is XP Home with SP1 and I have the SP2 CD I ordered
> from microsoft. I never quite worked up the courage to install SP2 on my
> first installation.
>
> My computer is not a brand name but has
> Gigabyte P4 Titan motherboard GA-8VD667K
> Intel 845GV chipset
>
> It is a Celeron(R) 2GHz with 256MB RAM
>
> I installed XP SP1 and video was fine, I don't remember if there was
> sound - I dont' think so.
>
> Shutdown and rebooted
>
> Next I installed sp2 and after restarting I had 4 bit colour at 640x480
> (unable to change it) and no sound. Very hard to get round in XP with
> those settings ;) Device manager had ? in front of those devices.
>
> Shutdown and rebooted (just in case it fixed itself) and then used the
> CD that came with the pc which had Chipsets and audio, amongst other
> things, written on it (I don't really understand all this side of
> things). I did an "express install" of drivers, shutdown and rebooted.
>
> Well a full 10 minutes later XP finally loaded so I had a sporadically
> working mouse but this time I had proper screen settings/video and
> sound. It takes forever to get into anything because the mouse freezes
> for 5-10 seconds every 4-5 cm it moves across the screen.
>
> Another reboot (you never know, might work) and exactly the same - 10
> minutes to boot and the computer is not really usable.
>
> No other software was installed. I have spent hours searching Google and
> everyone else seems to have slow internet or slow email or things
> different to me. I've tried searching for Gigabyte and SP2 or 845GV and
> SP2 or updates along with many other terms but I dont' really know what
> I am trying to find. I can't really connect to the internet using that
> SP2 installation as it would take hours just to set up my connection
> with teh mouse woes. I have never had spyware, viruses or trojans on my
> pc but the drive I was installing to was freshly formatted anyway.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction, where to find a solution.
> please.
>
> Thankyou
> miskairal

Thankyou very much for the time you have taken.

My next problem is that I am on dialup and that first driver is almost
24MB and a newer version than mine. Should I install all these drivers
at once or do just one at a time and see what happens?

Ahh, I have a nephew interstate on broadband who could get this for me
and post it on CD.

I'm not so sure about doing a BIOS update though, that's a bit scary and
if I stuff that up I won't have a working pc which at least I have now.

This is so wrong that an 18 month old computer requires such work b/c
microsoft puts out a service pack and then insists I use it. Up til now
I haven't but I gather from the Windows Update site notice that it won't
be long before I won't be able to get any updates unless I have SP2
installed. I am a farmer in drought stricken Australia - I don't have
the money to pay someone to do this for me so I have to learn how to do
it myself.

I use Firefox and Thunderbird except for doing Windows Updates. I have
my computer secure.

Whinge, whinge, whinge :)
miskairal