Changing the name of previous owner /removing it

I bought a machine from a guy named IAN. It is running windows xp pro. Here
is the problem. there is a folder in documents and settings called IAN. which
I cant change the name and every time something is saved it says c:/documents
and settings/IAN/etc.... Do I have to live with the presence of this guys
name or is there a way to change it to my name. Note I already changed
registered owners name but cant seem to change anything else with his name
can anyone offer help

The easiest way is to create a new profile and copy the data to the new
profile:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

However, since the computer is new to you, the best option is to start over
with a Clean Install:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/cleanxp.htm
This will eliminate all garbage and probably give you better performance.

Also see:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/security.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

In news:13103B78-066A-4132-ABBD-897EA914192D@microsoft.com,
mstout2001 <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I bought a machine from a guy named IAN. It is running windows
> xp
> pro. Here is the problem. there is a folder in documents and
> settings
> called IAN. which I cant change the name and every time
> something is
> saved it says c:/documents and settings/IAN/etc.... Do I have
> to live
> with the presence of this guys name or is there a way to change
> it to
> my name. Note I already changed registered owners name but cant
> seem
> to change anything else with his name can anyone offer help

I see that you've already gotten an answer to your question, but
I wanted to add another comment.

If I bought a used computer, the first thing I would do with it
would be to reinstall the operating system cleanly. You have no
idea how the computer has been maintained, what has been
installed incorrectly, what is missing, what viruses and spyware
there may be, etc. I wouldn't want to live with somebody else's
mistakes and problems, possibility of kiddie porn, etc., and I
wouldn't recommend that anyone else do either.

Please reply to the newsgroup

as fate would have it the drive crashed and I had to format the whole thing,
then I could not get xp set up to see the drive I spent hours trying to
figure out what was wrong, a lady on dell chat gave answer see link. This is
good info for I see the question on all the boards
http://www.djdenham.com/8400%20Special.htm
thank you ken
matthew

In news:E1D6056D-D291-43B9-99CE-A12E7A3FED3B@microsoft.com,
mstout2001 <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> as fate would have it the drive crashed and I had to format the
> whole
> thing, then I could not get xp set up to see the drive I spent
> hours
> trying to figure out what was wrong, a lady on dell chat gave
> answer
> see link. This is good info for I see the question on all the
> boards
> http://www.djdenham.com/8400%20Special.htm
> thank you ken

You're welcome. Sorry it had to happen that way, but I think it
will be better for you in the long run.

mstout2001 wrote:
> I bought a machine from a guy named IAN. It is running windows xp pro. Here
> is the problem. there is a folder in documents and settings called IAN. which
> I cant change the name and every time something is saved it says c:/documents
> and settings/IAN/etc.... Do I have to live with the presence of this guys
> name or is there a way to change it to my name. Note I already changed
> registered owners name but cant seem to change anything else with his name
> can anyone offer help

With second-hand computers, especially if acquired from strangers
but perhaps even if acquired from a family member, your wisest course
of action would probably be to format the hard drives and start fresh.
You don't want to get in trouble because the original owner may have
filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or have problems because the
original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other malware.

However, to fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

and:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\RegisteredOrganization

How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
it only during installation.

The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
_cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

The correct term is afresh not fresh. Your statement is in the presence
tense.
> mstout2001 wrote:
>> I bought a machine from a guy named IAN. It is running windows xp pro.
>> Here is the problem. there is a folder in documents and settings called
>> IAN. which I cant change the name and every time something is saved it
>> says c:/documents and settings/IAN/etc.... Do I have to live with the
>> presence of this guys name or is there a way to change it to my name.
>> Note I already changed registered owners name but cant seem to change
>> anything else with his name can anyone offer help
>

> With second-hand computers, especially if acquired from strangers
> but perhaps even if acquired from a family member, your wisest course
> of action would probably be to format the hard drives and start fresh.
> You don't want to get in trouble because the original owner may have
> filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or have problems because the
> original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other malware.
>
> However, to fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
> you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner
>
> and:
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
> Version\RegisteredOrganization
>
> How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
> applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
> read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
> it only during installation.
>
> The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
> _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
> So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
> Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
> desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).
>
> HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
>
> How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

While you're being the pedant, it is "present tense", not presence, LOL!