HELP, accounts suddently need passwords

Suddently XP has begun asking for passwords to my accounts.
Furthermore, a guest account has been added automatically. This is a
serious problem. I cant enter my computer since I dont know the
passwords - I never set them. When I dont type a password (as I
normally do) I am told that the local policy prohibits interactive
logon. I did nothing special to my computer last time I was logged on.
Please help!!!
6 answers Last reply
More about help accounts suddently passwords

    Mike wrote:
    > Suddently XP has begun asking for passwords to my accounts.
    > Furthermore, a guest account has been added automatically. This is a
    > serious problem. I cant enter my computer since I dont know the
    > passwords - I never set them. When I dont type a password (as I
    > normally do) I am told that the local policy prohibits interactive
    > logon. I did nothing special to my computer last time I was logged on.
    > Please help!!!

    Guest account was always there - disabled by default - but always there.
    And if you cannot log on - how do you know there is a guest account? heh

    XP Home or XP Pro?
    Classic logon or Welcome screen logon?

    If XP Home, have you tried Safe Mode boot and logging in as "administrator"
    with no password?
    If XP Professional and Welcome Screen logon, have you tried CTRL+ALT+DEL
    twice and logging in as "administrator" with no password?

    How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

    Log in using safe mode..
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

    Hack your password:
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    Another Password Hack:
    http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html

    However, the message you are getting is far from indicative of having a
    password.. If you somehow CAN logon as an administrative user (if Home, the
    administrator user in safe mode is your best bet) - then look here:

    Start -> Run
    gpedit.msc

    Computer Configuration
    Windows Settings
    Security Settings
    Local Policies
    User Rights Assignment

    Look at the :
    - Deny Log on Locally (Make sure your user and/or group(s) your user is in
    is not listed here.)
    - Log on locally (Make sure your user and/or group(s) your user is in is
    listed here.)

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<uqTR9FnKFHA.3528@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
    > Mike wrote:
    > > Suddently XP has begun asking for passwords to my accounts.
    > > Furthermore, a guest account has been added automatically. This is a
    > > serious problem. I cant enter my computer since I dont know the
    > > passwords - I never set them. When I dont type a password (as I
    > > normally do) I am told that the local policy prohibits interactive
    > > logon. I did nothing special to my computer last time I was logged on.
    > > Please help!!!
    >
    > Guest account was always there - disabled by default - but always there.
    > And if you cannot log on - how do you know there is a guest account? heh
    >
    > XP Home or XP Pro?
    > Classic logon or Welcome screen logon?
    >
    > If XP Home, have you tried Safe Mode boot and logging in as "administrator"
    > with no password?
    > If XP Professional and Welcome Screen logon, have you tried CTRL+ALT+DEL
    > twice and logging in as "administrator" with no password?
    >
    > How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305
    >
    > Log in using safe mode..
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
    >
    > Hack your password:
    > http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
    >
    > Another Password Hack:
    > http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html
    >

    > However, the message you are getting is far from indicative of having a
    > password.. If you somehow CAN logon as an administrative user (if Home, the
    > administrator user in safe mode is your best bet) - then look here:
    >
    > Start -> Run
    > gpedit.msc
    >
    > Computer Configuration
    > Windows Settings
    > Security Settings
    > Local Policies
    > User Rights Assignment
    >
    > Look at the :
    > - Deny Log on Locally (Make sure your user and/or group(s) your user is in
    > is not listed here.)
    > - Log on locally (Make sure your user and/or group(s) your user is in is
    > listed here.)
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    Hi Shenan,

    Thanks for your reply. What I mean is off course that the guest
    account has been enabled, not that it has been created, but I did
    nothing to enable it.

    I am running XP home edition. I have tried to log in as administrator
    in safe mode, but with no luck. I am just told that the policy does
    not allow interactive logon.

    I guess that next step is to try and crack the password, but how can
    there be a password when I never provided one?

    Regards,
    Mike

    Seems like you have recently downloaded Windows Update KB885835 which causes
    this problem on some computers (including mine). The remedy is to boot to
    the safe mode prompt (hit F8 key during bootup) then select 'last known
    configuration that worked' or some such wording. Then everything should work
    normally.

    If the problem recurs the following time you boot up, there may be nothing
    for it but to uninstall the Update. Do this in Control Panel / Add/remove
    programs, make sure 'show Updates' box is ticked and uninstall Update
    KB885835. Then you can delete or disable any unwanted accounts.

    Hope all is well. For futher info search the web for "KB885835".

    John

    "Mike" <mikaelp@dk2net.dk> wrote in message
    > Suddently XP has begun asking for passwords to my accounts.
    > Furthermore, a guest account has been added automatically. This is a
    > serious problem. I cant enter my computer since I dont know the
    > passwords - I never set them. When I dont type a password (as I
    > normally do) I am told that the local policy prohibits interactive
    > logon. I did nothing special to my computer last time I was logged on.
    > Please help!!!

    Sounds reasonable that the update is the cause of the problem.
    Unfortunately booting with 'last known configuration that worked' does
    not work for me. I am considering whether or not to try to 'repair'
    the XP installation (again) using the CD-rom, but I guess that it will
    keep the user accounts (incl. the guest account) as they are now, and
    maybe it will be even harder to solve the problem afterwards. Any
    opinion on that subject??

    /Mike

    Mike wrote:
    || Sounds reasonable that the update is the cause of the problem.
    || Unfortunately booting with 'last known configuration that worked'
    || does
    || not work for me. I am considering whether or not to try to 'repair'
    || the XP installation (again) using the CD-rom, but I guess that it
    || will
    || keep the user accounts (incl. the guest account) as they are now, and
    || maybe it will be even harder to solve the problem afterwards. Any
    || opinion on that subject??
    || /Mike

    Have you tried doing a System Restore to a date (say) a week ago or earlier?

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message news:<#JUQu1zKFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
    > Mike wrote:
    > || Sounds reasonable that the update is the cause of the problem.
    > || Unfortunately booting with 'last known configuration that worked'
    > || does
    > || not work for me. I am considering whether or not to try to 'repair'
    > || the XP installation (again) using the CD-rom, but I guess that it
    > || will
    > || keep the user accounts (incl. the guest account) as they are now, and
    > || maybe it will be even harder to solve the problem afterwards. Any
    > || opinion on that subject??
    > || /Mike
    >
    > Have you tried doing a System Restore to a date (say) a week ago or earlier?

    I wish I could, but I cant choose a specific System Restore date
    without being logged into the system (as far as I can see).

Computers Microsoft Windows XP