Sign in with
Your question

SiS659 w/ 9.6GB/s and 16GB max memory?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 22, 2003 1:29:51 PM

I just read this <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/2003052..." target="_new">thing</A> at X-bitlabs about the SiS659. I was aware of it and its curious approach to RDRAM - four-channel architecture maxing out at a massive 9.6GB/s memory bandwidth - however, I was not aware that it is somehow capable of a <b>total maximum of 16GB system memory</b>. My question is, <i>how can this be achieved?</i> What about the limitation of 4GB system memory? Is there some mechanism that has been implemented - like in the Xeons - that allow for more memory?

If indeed this chipset does support 16Gb and performs excellently well, it might just satisfy the needs of workstation owners... But is SiS capable of delivering on the promises?... If it was Intel designing such a chip, I´d be much more inclined to believe that they would deliver. Will SiS succeed with SiS659? Hm...

Another problem that SiS659 will face is that, by the time it debuts, the new pinless sockets will be that much closer... But who knows? It´s an interesting opportunity, anyway.
May 22, 2003 2:25:57 PM

Quote:
But is SiS capable of delivering on the promises?... If it was Intel designing such a chip, I´d be much more inclined to believe that they would deliver. Will SiS succeed with SiS659? Hm...

I followed the SiS 658 chipset Abit was supposed to use this spring on a new board. They wound up selling the board to OEM Mfg's only. The SiS 659/964 is supposedly debuting this fall. I wonder if any board mfg will be interested in using it and risking the wrath of Intel=)
!