Buffalo Launching SSDs with PATA Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

simple_inhibition

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
um..... pretty sure sata has been on just about every platform since the socket a days. if you are still rocking a system like that without sata, i think the best solution would be to put that $250-$630 (depending on capacity)towards a completely new build. sigh.... more R&D wasted that could have been applied towards bringing prices down on good SSD's

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Probably targeted to server farms that have been running just fine for years and don't need SATA, but would benefit from SSDs, particularly from a heat and efficiency standpoint.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Businesses (server farms or what not) still running the old PATA should upgrade theirs to SATA. Help out our economy and upgrade.

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jefforange89[/nom]...what purpose do these serve?[/citation]

This would be a good upgrade for several applications that aren't set up for SATA and can't be upgraded to SATA. Certain older servers that can't be replaced easliy or cost effectively, certain high end traffic shapers / routers / proxies that have internal hard drives (i've seen some 1U devices that use 2.5" drives), large high volume laser printers that have internal hdd's for storing print jobs for printing later, embedded PC's or industrial computers, the list really goes on and on. Or maybe for that guy that has an older gaming book that still plays the games he wants to play, but might not want to dump a truckload of cash on a new gaming book. Vote me down if you want, but even though parallel ATA is an older technology, it's not going away any time soon. You'll still see it in 5 years in certain niche markets, guaranteed. Look at the venerable old floppy drive, and how motherboards STILL have controlers for it on-board.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I would figure the PATA standard does not have enough bandwidth to take advantage of the SSDs. If the intended audience is organization with a large amount of computers with PATA, they could just add SATA PCI card.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
I would love to udgrade my laptop to an SSD but it is only PATA (the thing may only have a 1.8 ghz Petium M but it does most of what I need). The only time I wait for it is disk access. But I need over 160 gb and prices similar to SATA drives for me to justify it.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Really, even if your system doesn't support SATA, what advantage do you get from SSD? Modern platter-based 3.5" and 2.5" HDDs are very power efficient and provide more than enough throughput for any Ultra-ATA-based system. Modern HDDs will certainly be a significant improvement over the HDDs that came with your old PATA system.

If your system is still running PATA, SSD-advances are not worth your while. Even if you can't upgrade the system to SATA, save your money and stick with HDDs. You'll need that money when you have to buy an old Pentium Pro or some old 133Mhz SDRAM dimms off eBay.

jaffa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
I can definitely see a niche market for this, computers in certain environments would definitely benefit. As an example industry sites where remote stations subject to high vibration/shock, speaking from experience seeing hdd's die bi-annually is not uncommon. In these cases machine spec requirements will be minimal anyway, to say P-III's/P-4M's based systems, as such suitable chipsets don't know a thing about sata!

G

I'd love a low-cost PATA SSD for my old Dell C840. It's a 2GHz mobile P4 with a nice big 1600x1200 screen and still chugging along nicely. A new box with a similar screen will cost me 800+ euros/1100+ usd.

Modern HDDs might be significantly faster than the older ones but still suck in random read/write compared to SSDs. I thought about upgrading the HDD but after installing SSDs in all my desktops I'll never go back to HDDs for system drives. Ever.

G

Excellent for older computers as a secondary or boot device!
They can still use the second controller to install a 256GB PATA HD or use an external USB drive of 2TB for storage!

[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Probably targeted to server farms that have been running just fine for years and don't need SATA, but would benefit from SSDs, particularly from a heat and efficiency standpoint.[/citation]
True, but even then, I doubt this SSD is server/enterprise grade.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Probably targeted to server farms that have been running just fine for years and don't need SATA, but would benefit from SSDs, particularly from a heat and efficiency standpoint.[/citation]

Or the countless Pentium 4 boxes sold for business with IDE drives in them. We've got a few 3GHz P4's at my office that are more than adequate after swapping an old non-NCQ 7200 RPM drive out for a SSD.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]simple_inhibition[/nom]to make grandma's blazing 1ghz Pentium III wicked fast :p LOL[/citation]

I have a Media Center running with a Pentium 3 1 Ghz... with a Sata HDD... connected to a PCI Sata card.... believe me, it's a lot more cost effective, and if you decide to move the HDD into a new computer with SATA, you just have to plug it in. With an SSD with a PATA connector first you have to check whether your board still has the connector, and if it does you will have an ugly cable impending your airflow.

However, that said, this DOES make sense for Laptops. If you have a Desktop however, it's just nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS