Burning Cd

I have been trying to use windows media, nero and sonic. Puter will not burn
a cd, I have tried both CD-RW and and CD-R. I am going crazy, how do I test
my cd drive, I have done the new driver bit, no change...There must be a way
of testing a burner? Help
24 answers Last reply
More about burning

    Is your "CD Drive" a CD-R or CD-RW drive? If it is,
    what make and model?

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "carebear88" wrote:

    | I have been trying to use windows media, nero and sonic. Puter will not burn
    | a cd, I have tried both CD-RW and and CD-R. I am going crazy, how do I test
    | my cd drive, I have done the new driver bit, no change...There must be a way
    | of testing a burner? Help

    Hi and thank you. It is a samsungSM348B, not sure if it is a cd-r or cd-rw?
    sorry, how will downloading the service pak 2 help? or is it just good to
    have for securtity reasons? barry

    http://www.search4hardware.com/8/p_8_2242_Samsung_SM-348B.html

    "carebear88" wrote:

    > Hi and thank you. It is a samsungSM348B, not sure if it is a cd-r or cd-rw?
    > sorry, how will downloading the service pak 2 help? or is it just good to
    > have for securtity reasons? barry
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Is your "CD Drive" a CD-R or CD-RW drive? If it is,
    > > what make and model?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > Microsoft Newsgroups
    > >
    > > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
    > >
    > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > >
    > > "carebear88" wrote:
    > >
    > > | I have been trying to use windows media, nero and sonic. Puter will not burn
    > > | a cd, I have tried both CD-RW and and CD-R. I am going crazy, how do I test
    > > | my cd drive, I have done the new driver bit, no change...There must be a way
    > > | of testing a burner? Help

    Troubleshooting: SAMSUNG SM-348 CD-RW/DVD ROM Drive User's Guide
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/p50160/en/trouble.htm

    SAMSUNG SM-348 CD-RW/DVD ROM Drive User's Guide
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/p50160/en/index.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "carebear88" wrote:

    | Hi and thank you. It is a samsungSM348B, not sure if it is a cd-r or cd-rw?
    | sorry, how will downloading the service pak 2 help? or is it just good to
    | have for securtity reasons? barry

    LOL, if he had only a CD-R (only) drive, it is near a 100% probability, that
    his system wouldn't run XP!

    > Is your "CD Drive" a CD-R or CD-RW drive? If it is,
    > what make and model?
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "carebear88" wrote:
    >
    > | I have been trying to use windows media, nero and sonic. Puter will not
    > burn
    > | a cd, I have tried both CD-RW and and CD-R. I am going crazy, how do I
    > test
    > | my cd drive, I have done the new driver bit, no change...There must be a
    > way
    > | of testing a burner? Help

    What does that mean? I've installed XP on two systems that had CD-R only
    without any difficulty.

    "Tom" wrote:

    > LOL, if he had only a CD-R (only) drive, it is near a 100% probability, that
    > his system wouldn't run XP!

    > > Is your "CD Drive" a CD-R or CD-RW drive? If it is,
    > > what make and model?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > Microsoft Newsgroups
    > >
    > > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
    > >
    > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > >
    > > "carebear88" wrote:
    > >
    > > | I have been trying to use windows media, nero and sonic. Puter will not
    > > burn
    > > | a cd, I have tried both CD-RW and and CD-R. I am going crazy, how do I
    > > test
    > > | my cd drive, I have done the new driver bit, no change...There must be a
    > > way
    > > | of testing a burner? Help

    You had better explain that erroneous thought to enlighten us who think we
    know better!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    In news:Oz0IlDtKFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Tom <noway@nothere.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    > LOL, if he had only a CD-R (only) drive, it is near a 100%
    > probability, that his system wouldn't run XP!

    Fine thinking there Tom, tell that to Dell who sells their entry level XP
    systems with CD-R drives. LOY
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message
    > In news:Oz0IlDtKFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > Tom <noway@nothere.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    >> LOL, if he had only a CD-R (only) drive, it is near a 100%
    >> probability, that his system wouldn't run XP!
    >>

    > Fine thinking there Tom, tell that to Dell who sells their entry level XP
    > systems with CD-R drives. LOY

    Prove it, show me where at Dell they dell CD-Rs drives. Their cheapest
    desktops (which are the 2400 series), have no shows for CD-Rs, only CD-RWs.
    Funny Mikey, that you don't provide a link!

    My first (non-built) PC purchase was from Dell in early '99', and even then,
    they recommended CD-RWs (though the option was to buy a CD-R drive) I bought
    my own CD-RW, and installed it, it was cheaper than theirs. The CD-RW disks
    then cost almost $15

    In news:OMPbjF4KFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Tom <noway@nothere.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    > "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> In news:Oz0IlDtKFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >> Tom <noway@nothere.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    >>> LOL, if he had only a CD-R (only) drive, it is near a 100%
    >>> probability, that his system wouldn't run XP!
    >>>

    >> Fine thinking there Tom, tell that to Dell who sells their entry
    >> level XP systems with CD-R drives. LOY
    >
    > Prove it, show me where at Dell they dell CD-Rs drives. Their cheapest
    > desktops (which are the 2400 series), have no shows for CD-Rs, only
    > CD-RWs. Funny Mikey, that you don't provide a link!

    Here you go, TommyBoy. LOY again! Didn;t think it was necessary.

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/low_price_dimen?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

    List of the CD drives Dell sells with their systems.

    Optical Drives
    CD-ROM Drive
    The Dell CD-ROM drive provides a low cost way to read data files and load
    software onto your computer. Dell CD-ROM drives support high quality reading
    of compact discs. Dell's CD firmware allows extraction of high quality audio
    and data files even from CDs that have become dirty or scratched.
    CD-RW Drive
    With the Dell CD-RW Drive, also known as a CD burner, users can create their
    own custom data CDs on discs that costs less than $0.50 each and hold up to
    700MB of data. The Dell CD-RW drive will allow users to easily create their
    own custom data CDs for data back-up or data transfer purposes. It will also
    allow you to store and share audio files, video files, large data files and
    digital photos with millions of other people that have access to a CD-ROM
    drive. This drive will also do anything your CD-ROM drive will do. It reads
    all your existing CD-ROMs, Audio CDs, and CDs that you have created with
    your CD burner.
    DVD-ROM Drive
    The Dell DVD-ROM drive allows you to enjoy the crystal clear color, picture
    and sound clarity of DVD video on your PC1. It will also prepare you for
    future software and large data files that will be released or can be created
    on DVD media. A DVD-ROM drive can also read CD-ROM discs, effectively
    providing users with full optical read capability in one device. Just as
    with its CD-ROM drives, Dell DVD-ROM drives allow for high-quality Digital
    Audio Extraction even when discs have become somewhat scratched or dirty.
    CD-RW/DVD Combination Drive
    The Dell CD-RW/DVD Combination Drive brings all the advantages of a CD-RW, a
    DVD-ROM, and a CD-ROM to a single drive. This allows you to have CD-RW and
    DVD-ROM functionality in a single bay, freeing up space for other devices.
    With a CD-RW/DVD combo drive, users can read DVD-ROM discs, read CD-ROM
    discs and create their own custom data CDs on discs that cost less than
    $0.50 each and hold up to 700 MB of data.
    DVD+R/+RW Drive2
    The Dell DVD+R/+RW Drive brings you the latest in rewritable DVD technology,
    built around the DVD+RW standard. Use it to store your favorite original
    video (with SonicTM MyDVD® or DVDit!® SE video authoring software3) or to
    archive up to 4.7GB of your personal data (with RoxioTM Easy CD CreatorTM )
    to a DVD+R or DVD+RW disc. The DVD+R/+RW drive writes to DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R
    and CD-RW media, as well as reads all these media types including CD-ROM and
    DVD-ROM.

    --

> [...]
    > a DVD-ROM, and a CD-ROM to a single drive. This allows you to have CD-RW
    > and DVD-ROM functionality in a single bay, freeing up space for other
    > devices. With a CD-RW/DVD combo drive, users can read DVD-ROM discs, read
    > CD-ROM discs and create their own custom data CDs on discs that cost less
    > than $0.50 each and hold up to 700 MB of data.
    > DVD+R/+RW Drive2
    > The Dell DVD+R/+RW Drive brings you the latest in rewritable DVD
    > technology, built around the DVD+RW standard. Use it to store your
    > favorite original video (with SonicTM MyDVD® or DVDit!® SE video
    > authoring software3) or to archive up to 4.7GB of your personal data (with
    > RoxioTM Easy CD CreatorTM ) to a DVD+R or DVD+RW disc. The DVD+R/+RW drive
    > writes to DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R and CD-RW media, as well as reads all these
    > media types including CD-ROM and DVD-ROM.

    Oh dear, seems you didn't read what Carey asked LOL (did you not say in
    another thread that I need to follow the thread, to which I did apologize?)

    The OP stated his problem, though he didn't say what drive he had. Carey
    replied, " Is your "CD Drive" a CD-R or CD-RW drive? If it is, what make
    and model?", which the OP replied what he has, and Carey gave him relevant
    Sony links to his model. Carey stated CD-R, not CD-ROM types (or any
    XXX-ROM), and there is a specific difference. CD-R specific models have not
    been made in a few years, and some models, when made were not even supported
    on Win98/ME let alone 2000/XP. There were actual drives made for CD-Rs,
    though I am unsure if they then could burn to RWs when that disk format came
    around, since there was a time when RWs were not available.

    Again, did you see Dell sell actual devices listed as CD-Rs? (I know you
    didn't lol)

    http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_history.shtml

    One model in particular of among many brands (Buffalo comes to mind) that
    wasn't supported by 98 and later, SONY CD-R CRX510E:
    http://www.orlogix.com/support_dsl.php?pn=sbu&vendor=SONY

    There ya go Mikey *-)

    In news:eT44q7%23KFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> [...]
    > Carey replied, " Is your "CD Drive" a CD-R or CD-RW drive? If it is,
    > what make and model?", which the OP replied what he has, and Carey
    > gave him relevant Sony links to his model. Carey stated CD-R, not
    > CD-ROM types (or any XXX-ROM), and there is a specific difference.
    > CD-R specific models have not been made in a few years, and some
    > models, when made were not even supported on Win98/ME let alone
    > 2000/XP. There were actual drives made for CD-Rs, though I am unsure
    > if they then could burn to RWs when that disk format came around,
    > since there was a time when RWs were not available.
    > Again, did you see Dell sell actual devices listed as CD-Rs? (I know
    > you didn't lol)
    >
    > http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_history.shtml
    >
    > One model in particular of among many brands (Buffalo comes to mind)
    > that wasn't supported by 98 and later, SONY CD-R CRX510E:

    My Oh My, I am getting old and forgetful. I completely forgot about CD-R and
    my first burner was a Phillips CD-R.
    Sorry for misunderstanding, but try to let up on the nit picking ragging on
    Carey. For the occasional lapse in his posts, he makes ton's more that do
    help.

    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

    If your link is as you intended, there is NO mention of a CD-R, not even
    under customize this system.
    There is five products, CD/DVD from left to right are
    48X CD-ROM, 48X CD-ROM, 48X CD-ROM, 48X CD-ROM, 16X DVD-ROM

    Where did you find that CD-R ??

    ( CD-ROM = CD- ReadOnlyMemory
    CD-R = CD-Recordable
    CD-RW = CD-ReWritable)

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> kirjoitti viestissä
> [...]
    > DVD+R/+RW Drive2
    > The Dell DVD+R/+RW Drive brings you the latest in rewritable DVD
    technology,
    > built around the DVD+RW standard. Use it to store your favorite original
    > video (with SonicTM MyDVD® or DVDit!® SE video authoring software3) or
    > archive up to 4.7GB of your personal data (with RoxioTM Easy CD
    CreatorTM )
    > to a DVD+R or DVD+RW disc. The DVD+R/+RW drive writes to DVD+R, DVD+RW,
    CD-R
    > and CD-RW media, as well as reads all these media types including CD-ROM
    and
    > DVD-ROM.
    >

    > --
    > Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    > xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
    > For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I just went there and if you read down the features column on, say, the
    first machine ($299.00), it says under CD/DVD "48x cd-rom". Same for the
    machine to the right.

    "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> DVD+R/+RW Drive2
    >> The Dell DVD+R/+RW Drive brings you the latest in rewritable DVD
    > technology,
    >> built around the DVD+RW standard. Use it to store your favorite original
    >> video (with SonicTM MyDVD® or DVDit!® SE video authoring software3) or
    >> archive up to 4.7GB of your personal data (with RoxioTM Easy CD
    > CreatorTM )
    >> to a DVD+R or DVD+RW disc. The DVD+R/+RW drive writes to DVD+R, DVD+RW,
    > CD-R
    >> and CD-RW media, as well as reads all these media types including CD-ROM
    > and
    >> DVD-ROM.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    >> xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
    >> For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    In news:%23uIJDT%23KFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    > I just went there and if you read down the features column on, say,
    > the first machine ($299.00), it says under CD/DVD "48x cd-rom". Same
    > for the machine to the right.

    Thanks Colin,
    Don't know what they are seeing, but I see the same as you. 8-)

    I just ordered a no frills Dell for a friend for a neighbor friend and it
    came with a 48x CD-ROM.
    BTW, they are still shipping with a proper XP CD.

    --
> [...]

    >>> CD-ROM discs and create their own custom data CDs on discs that
    >>> cost less than $0.50 each and hold up to 700 MB of data.
    >>> DVD+R/+RW Drive2
    >>> The Dell DVD+R/+RW Drive brings you the latest in rewritable DVD
    >>> technology, built around the DVD+RW standard. Use it to store your
    >>> favorite original video (with SonicTM MyDVD® or DVDit!® SE video
    >>> authoring software3) or to archive up to 4.7GB of your personal
    >>> data (with RoxioTM Easy CD CreatorTM ) to a DVD+R or DVD+RW disc.
    >>> The DVD+R/+RW drive writes to DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R and CD-RW media,
    >>> as well as reads all these media types including CD-ROM and DVD-ROM.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    >>> xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    >>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
    >>> For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Michael Stevens wrote:
    > Here you go, TommyBoy. LOY again! Didn;t think it was necessary.
    >
    > http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/low_price_dimen?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
    >
    > List of the CD drives Dell sells with their systems.

    <snipped>

    Michael Stevens wrote:
    > Don't know what they are seeing, but I see the same as you. 8-)
    >
    > I just ordered a no frills Dell for a friend for a neighbor friend
    > and it came with a 48x CD-ROM.
    > BTW, they are still shipping with a proper XP CD.

    Okay - this is one of those "semantics" things.

    If taken as written, Tom did state "CD-R (only)" drive. This would mean it
    would be incapable of doing anything but reading CDs and writing to CD-Rs..
    Not CD-RWs. I still have a few 2x examples of this lying around that cost
    $400 (or more) a LONG time ago.

    Dell's come with CD drives, CD-RW drives, Combo DVD-ROM/CD-RW drives or DVD
    burners (that burn different formats depending on the drive, but almost
    always burn CD-R and CD-RW disks as well.)

    The trick here is that Tom specified CD-R (only). As far as I know - you
    can no longer purchase (new) a CD-R (only) drive alone or in a package
    system anywhere.. NEW.. Because they are not made any longer. All such
    drives will now write CD-R and CD-RW - not just CD-R. You can buy a Dell
    (as pointed out in the thread so far) with JUST CD-ROM drives, but there is
    no Dell sold today that comes NEW with a CD-R (CD-Recordable) (only) drive
    without getting the CD-RW functionality as well.

    Yes - semantics.

    Thomas Wendall pointed this out already:

    CD-ROM = CD- ReadOnlyMemory
    CD-R = CD-Recordable
    CD-RW = CD-ReWritable

    So, Tom's statement makes sense - although technically - I could put a CD-R
    (only) drive in a system and still likely be able to use my 3GHz machine to
    run Windows XP - who knows if I would be able to burn - but likely yes...
    But i would have to buy that drive used and/or already have it from WAY back
    (in technology years..)

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

> [...]
    > system anywhere.. NEW.. Because they are not made any longer. All such
    > drives will now write CD-R and CD-RW - not just CD-R. You can buy a Dell
    > (as pointed out in the thread so far) with JUST CD-ROM drives, but there
    > is no Dell sold today that comes NEW with a CD-R (CD-Recordable) (only)
    > drive without getting the CD-RW functionality as well.
    >
    > Yes - semantics.
    >
    > Thomas Wendall pointed this out already:
    >
    > CD-ROM = CD- ReadOnlyMemory
    > CD-R = CD-Recordable
    > CD-RW = CD-ReWritable
    >
    > So, Tom's statement makes sense - although technically - I could put a
    > CD-R (only) drive in a system and still likely be able to use my 3GHz
    > machine to run Windows XP - who knows if I would be able to burn - but
    > likely yes... But i would have to buy that drive used and/or already have
    > it from WAY back (in technology years..)

    Though off the point, I have never used an actual CD-R when they were out,
    simlpy because then the need for mass backup wasn't needed like it is now, I
    used Floppies, and a second 3gig hard rive LOL. Anyway, can an 'actual'
    CD-R drives, write to a CD-RW, as I wondered this as CD-RW disks seem to
    have morphed seamlessly into writable media then?
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

> [...]
    > >
    > > CD-ROM = CD- ReadOnlyMemory
    > > CD-R = CD-Recordable
    > > CD-RW = CD-ReWritable
    > >
    > > So, Tom's statement makes sense - although technically - I could put a
    > > CD-R (only) drive in a system and still likely be able to use my 3GHz
    > > machine to run Windows XP - who knows if I would be able to burn - but
    > > likely yes... But i would have to buy that drive used and/or already
    have
    > > it from WAY back (in technology years..)
    > >
    > > --
    >
    > Though off the point, I have never used an actual CD-R when they were out,
    > simlpy because then the need for mass backup wasn't needed like it is now,
    > used Floppies, and a second 3gig hard rive LOL. Anyway, can an 'actual'
    > CD-R drives, write to a CD-RW, as I wondered this as CD-RW disks seem to
    > have morphed seamlessly into writable media then?

    The now obsolete CD-R (only) drives could not write to CD-R/W discs. I
    recall that Yamaha, Memorex and a few other companies used to sell those
    drives. They were eventually fazed out.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    You're welcome.

    > In news:%23uIJDT%23KFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    >> I just went there and if you read down the features column on, say,
    >> the first machine ($299.00), it says under CD/DVD "48x cd-rom". Same
    >> for the machine to the right.
    >>

    > Thanks Colin,
    > Don't know what they are seeing, but I see the same as you. 8-)
    >
    > I just ordered a no frills Dell for a friend for a neighbor friend and it
    > came with a 48x CD-ROM.
    > BTW, they are still shipping with a proper XP CD.
    >

    > --
    > Michael Stevens MS-MVP XPxpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
    > For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm
    >

    >>> If your link is as you intended, there is NO mention of a CD-R, not
    >>> even under customize this system.
    >>> There is five products, CD/DVD from left to right are
    >>> 48X CD-ROM, 48X CD-ROM, 48X CD-ROM, 48X CD-ROM, 16X DVD-ROM
    >>>
    >>> Where did you find that CD-R ??
    >>>
    >>> ( CD-ROM = CD- ReadOnlyMemory
    >>> CD-R = CD-Recordable
    >>> CD-RW = CD-ReWritable)
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Tumppi
    >>> Reply to group
    >>> =================================================
    >>> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    >>> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    >>> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    >>> =================================================
    >>>

    >>> "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> kirjoitti viestissä

    >>> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/low_price_dimen?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Tom wrote:
    > "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> In news:Oz0IlDtKFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >> Tom <noway@nothere.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    >>> LOL, if he had only a CD-R (only) drive, it is near a 100%
    >>> probability, that his system wouldn't run XP!
    >>>

    >> Fine thinking there Tom, tell that to Dell who sells their entry
    >> level XP systems with CD-R drives. LOY
    >
    > Prove it, show me where at Dell they dell CD-Rs drives. Their cheapest
    > desktops (which are the 2400 series), have no shows for CD-Rs, only
    > CD-RWs. Funny Mikey, that you don't provide a link!
    >
    > My first (non-built) PC purchase was from Dell in early '99', and
    > even then, they recommended CD-RWs (though the option was to buy a
    > CD-R drive) I bought my own CD-RW, and installed it, it was cheaper
    > than theirs. The CD-RW disks then cost almost $15

    I have a home LAN set up. The PC that we connect to the internet with is
    an old IBM machine. It's running Windows XP Professional SP2 and has an
    Hitachi CD-ROM drive. I can run Belarc or Aida on it and post the
    results if you so wish?
    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/low_price_dimen?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

    >> > <snipped>

    >> > Okay - this is one of those "semantics" things.
    >> >
    >> > If taken as written, Tom did state "CD-R (only)" drive. This would
    >> > mean
    >> > it would be incapable of doing anything but reading CDs and writing to
    >> > CD-Rs.. Not CD-RWs. I still have a few 2x examples of this lying
    >> > around
    >> > that cost $400 (or more) a LONG time ago.
    >> >
    >> > Dell's come with CD drives, CD-RW drives, Combo DVD-ROM/CD-RW drives or
    >> > DVD burners (that burn different formats depending on the drive, but
    >> > almost always burn CD-R and CD-RW disks as well.)
    >> >
    >> > The trick here is that Tom specified CD-R (only). As far as I know -
    > you
    >> > can no longer purchase (new) a CD-R (only) drive alone or in a package
    >> > system anywhere.. NEW.. Because they are not made any longer. All such
    >> > drives will now write CD-R and CD-RW - not just CD-R. You can buy a
    > Dell
    >> > (as pointed out in the thread so far) with JUST CD-ROM drives, but
    >> > there
    >> > is no Dell sold today that comes NEW with a CD-R (CD-Recordable) (only)
    >> > drive without getting the CD-RW functionality as well.
    >> >
    >> > Yes - semantics.
    >> >
    >> > Thomas Wendall pointed this out already:
    >> >
    >> > CD-ROM = CD- ReadOnlyMemory
    >> > CD-R = CD-Recordable
    >> > CD-RW = CD-ReWritable
    >> >
    >> > So, Tom's statement makes sense - although technically - I could put a
    >> > CD-R (only) drive in a system and still likely be able to use my 3GHz
    >> > machine to run Windows XP - who knows if I would be able to burn - but
    >> > likely yes... But i would have to buy that drive used and/or already
    > have
    >> > it from WAY back (in technology years..)
    >> >
    >> > --
    >>
    >> Though off the point, I have never used an actual CD-R when they were
    >> out,
    >> simlpy because then the need for mass backup wasn't needed like it is
    >> now,
    >> used Floppies, and a second 3gig hard rive LOL. Anyway, can an 'actual'
    >> CD-R drives, write to a CD-RW, as I wondered this as CD-RW disks seem to
    >> have morphed seamlessly into writable media then?
    >>
    > The now obsolete CD-R (only) drives could not write to CD-R/W discs. I
    > recall that Yamaha, Memorex and a few other companies used to sell those
    > drives. They were eventually fazed out.

    Thnaks for that info Harry, I did not know that since I never bought any
    recordable optical drive at that time (they were pricy anyway).
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

> [...]
    >> 2000/XP. There were actual drives made for CD-Rs, though I am unsure
    >> if they then could burn to RWs when that disk format came around,
    >> since there was a time when RWs were not available.
    >> Again, did you see Dell sell actual devices listed as CD-Rs? (I know
    >> you didn't lol)
    >>
    >> http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_history.shtml
    >>
    >> One model in particular of among many brands (Buffalo comes to mind)
    >> that wasn't supported by 98 and later, SONY CD-R CRX510E:
    >> http://www.orlogix.com/support_dsl.php?pn=sbu&vendor=SONY
    >>
    >> There ya go Mikey *-)
    >
    > My Oh My, I am getting old and forgetful. I completely forgot about CD-R
    > and my first burner was a Phillips CD-R.
    > Sorry for misunderstanding, but try to let up on the nit picking ragging
    > on Carey. For the occasional lapse in his posts, he makes ton's more that

    I'll admit this time may have been a bit of a rag on Carey, and I'll let up
    in the future, but I will point out when he makes blatantly wrong posts by
    not reading the content of messages, as he does quite often (but I won't
    rag). About the CD-Rs, I knew they existed (long ago), but I avoided them
    because of the price.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    In news:OPhQKBCLFHA.2716@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Tom <noway@nothere.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    > "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> In news:eT44q7%23KFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >> Tom <noway@nothere.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    >>> "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message

    >>> Oh dear, seems you didn't read what Carey asked LOL (did you not say
    >>> in another thread that I need to follow the thread, to which I did
    >>> apologize?)
    >>> The OP stated his problem, though he didn't say what drive he had.
    >>> Carey replied, " Is your "CD Drive" a CD-R or CD-RW drive? If it
    >>> is, what make and model?", which the OP replied what he has, and
    >>> Carey gave him relevant Sony links to his model. Carey stated CD-R,
    >>> not CD-ROM types (or any XXX-ROM), and there is a specific
    >>> difference. CD-R specific models have not been made in a few years,
    >>> and some models, when made were not even supported on Win98/ME let
    >>> alone 2000/XP. There were actual drives made for CD-Rs, though I am
    >>> unsure if they then could burn to RWs when that disk format came
    >>> around, since there was a time when RWs were not available.
    >>> Again, did you see Dell sell actual devices listed as CD-Rs? (I know
    >>> you didn't lol)
    >>>
    >>> http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_history.shtml
    >>>
    >>> One model in particular of among many brands (Buffalo comes to mind)
    >>> that wasn't supported by 98 and later, SONY CD-R CRX510E:
    >>> http://www.orlogix.com/support_dsl.php?pn=sbu&vendor=SONY
    >>>
    >>> There ya go Mikey *-)
    >>
    >> My Oh My, I am getting old and forgetful. I completely forgot about
    >> CD-R and my first burner was a Phillips CD-R.
    >> Sorry for misunderstanding, but try to let up on the nit picking
    >> ragging on Carey. For the occasional lapse in his posts, he makes
    >> ton's more that do help.
    >>

    > I'll admit this time may have been a bit of a rag on Carey, and I'll
    > let up in the future, but I will point out when he makes blatantly
    > wrong posts by not reading the content of messages, as he does quite
    > often (but I won't rag). About the CD-Rs, I knew they existed (long
    > ago), but I avoided them because of the price.

    Thanks Tom,
    Fair enough, I think if anyone [other than Alex Nichol] answered as many
    posts as Carey they would get it wrong occasionally. In Carey's defense,
    even when wrong his replies are very seldom dangerous.
    I am still smarting over not remembering there was a CD-R before CDRW and I
    even had a SCSI CD-R. 10 bucks per disk was pretty steep and I did make a
    few painful coasters. 8-(

    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    > In news:OPhQKBCLFHA.2716@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > Tom <noway@nothere.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    >> "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> In news:eT44q7%23KFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >>> Tom <noway@nothere.com> respectfully replied ;-)

    >>> My Oh My, I am getting old and forgetful. I completely forgot about
    >>> CD-R and my first burner was a Phillips CD-R.
    >>> Sorry for misunderstanding, but try to let up on the nit picking
    >>> ragging on Carey. For the occasional lapse in his posts, he makes
    >>> ton's more that do help.
    >>>

    >> I'll admit this time may have been a bit of a rag on Carey, and I'll
    >> let up in the future, but I will point out when he makes blatantly
    >> wrong posts by not reading the content of messages, as he does quite
    >> often (but I won't rag). About the CD-Rs, I knew they existed (long
    >> ago), but I avoided them because of the price.
    >
    > Thanks Tom,
    > Fair enough, I think if anyone [other than Alex Nichol] answered as many
    > posts as Carey they would get it wrong occasionally. In Carey's defense,
    > even when wrong his replies are very seldom dangerous.
    > I am still smarting over not remembering there was a CD-R before CDRW and
    > I even had a SCSI CD-R. 10 bucks per disk was pretty steep and I did make
    > a few painful coasters. 8-(

    In your defense, don't smart, as it seems apparent by many respondents that
    CD-R was translated into meaning CD-ROM (the lone "R" is what got most on
    this), and I can see how. If you read the whole thread, you'll see quite a
    few who also think I was mistaken. And in all honesty, I am sure Carey meant
    CD-ROM, as I have seen him correct others seeking help with their burning
    devices.

Burner CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP