peter

Trying to use backup. It says please enter a name for this backup. Whatever
name I enter it says you cannot use this name. Why?
What is it trying to tell me? Many thanks.

--

All mail scanned with Norton Antivirus.

"Peter" <p.j.w@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Trying to use backup. It says please enter a name for this backup. Whatever
>name I enter it says you cannot use this name. Why?
>What is it trying to tell me? Many thanks.

This may help: "Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or
DVD-R Devices" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315255).

--
(tm)

peter

Thank you for the link. Doesn't MS know that computers don't have floppies
anymore. What are we supposed to back up on! So I have to copy rather than
'backup'.

--

All mail scanned with Norton Antivirus.

As a test, I just reconfirmed what I found out 3 years ago. I just used the
native Windows XP backup program to create a backup and store it on a CD-R
disk. Works with CD-RW also. No problem!

Note that this can NOT be accomplished without 3rd party software installed,
specifically packet writing software from Roxio's DVD-CD Creator, Nero or
something similar.

A CD that has been formatted by the above programs is treated as if it was
another drive and the Operating System and programs can write to it
directly!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

In news:d1c86m$lsg$1@hercules.btinternet.com,
Peter <p.j.w@btinternet.com> typed:

> Thank you for the link. Doesn't MS know that computers don't
> have
> floppies anymore.

Not true. *Some* computers don't have floppy drives anymore. All
of mine do, and so do those of lots of other people. Even though
I use the floppy drive very seldom these days, if I got a
computer that came without one, I'd spend the $10-15, and buy and
install one.

Besides, it's really irrelevant. These days, a floppy is much to
small to be an effective backup medium.

> What are we supposed to back up on! So I have to
> copy rather than 'backup'.

No. Be aware of several things:

1. The built-in Windows backup program is among the poorest
choices available. There are many third-party backup programs
that are much superior.

2. If you have packet-writing software installed, you can use
Windows backup to back up to a CD-RW.

3. You can backup to a tape drive, or to a second hard drive
(preferably a removable one).

My personal backup scheme uses two identical removable hard
drives, which fit into a sleeve installed in the computer. I
alternate between the two, and use Drive Image to make a complete
copy of the primary drive.

Please reply to the newsgroup

peter

I realise that I was being a bit difficult. Anyway thank you for that info.

--

All mail scanned with Norton Antivirus.

pop

It should work; It'd help if you gave more detail on the steps you took, but
By default it wants to save to A:, floppy drive.
Using the Advanced Wizard, you have to use the Browse button to switch to
another drive letter, and the usefulness of CD etc. for backup will be
dependent on its own software. Most CD/DVDs work fine with XP SP1 and 2
unless it's an old software version/drivers.
After you use the Browse and locate your drive/folder, it'll still look
like it wants to go to A:, so keep clicking and it'll throw that screen away
and display the one you need.

Then you should be off and running.

HTH

Pop
--
I never bother to get even.
But, I try hard to get AHEAD
> Trying to use backup. It says please enter a name for this backup.
> Whatever
> name I enter it says you cannot use this name. Why?
> What is it trying to tell me? Many thanks.
>
> --
>

> All mail scanned with Norton Antivirus.

pop

> This may help: "Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or
> DVD-R Devices" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315255).

True, but that link's information is very badly worded, a trait of MS
documentation that's not uncommon. Where it says:
"RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, perform the backup to some other media type, for
example, to a tape or to a hard disk. "

means: The "other" media type is the applications that came with your CD,
DVD, whatever. I think it's the "packet" feature that's required, but I
could be wrong on that. At any rate, any app/drivers that will let you
access the CD/DVD drive as a drive letter will in fact let you write to it
with MS backup, or, more specifically, ntbackup.exe.

Personally, I favor WinZip for backups with one exception: Full Backups. I
use ntbackup.exe for each full backup only, and then I use Winzip to do
further incrementals etc, because it makes it so much easier to restore a
singly file, Favorites, email, whatever. I haven't yet had to use the full
backups for anything, but it's comforting to have them because eventually
they WILL be needed!

HTH,

Pop

You may want to check out http://www.firestreamer.com/fsdvd/

Peter wrote:
> I realise that I was being a bit difficult. Anyway thank you for that
info.

> --
>

> All mail scanned with Norton Antivirus.

In line..

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Pop" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> kirjoitti viestissä
> > This may help: "Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or
> > DVD-R Devices" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315255).
> >

> True, but that link's information is very badly worded, a trait of MS
> documentation that's not uncommon. Where it says:
> "RESOLUTION
> To resolve this issue, perform the backup to some other media type, for
> example, to a tape or to a hard disk. "
>
> means: The "other" media type is the applications that came with your CD,
> DVD, whatever. I think it's the "packet" feature that's required, but I
> could be wrong on that. At any rate, any app/drivers that will let you
> access the CD/DVD drive as a drive letter will in fact let you write to it
> with MS backup, or, more specifically, ntbackup.exe.

Yes and no. (I haven't tried) It may be possible to backup to a "packet
formatted" CD-RW, but Windows inbuilt BackUp will NOT span disks, so be very
sure all data is going to fit on one disk.