NT formatting for fresh XP

Hi I have installed NT 4.0 workstation and I have a
winsrv bsod screen I need to format the machine. I would
like to boot from cd allowing the option to format the
existing partition or to use a bootdisk with cd drivers
included to format then install xp from cd.

Can someone tell me how to do this?

Thanks

Rob
4 answers Last reply
More about formatting fresh

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;3100­64

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Rob Hargreaves" wrote:

    | Hi I have installed NT 4.0 workstation and I have a
    | winsrv bsod screen I need to format the machine. I would
    | like to boot from cd allowing the option to format the
    | existing partition or to use a bootdisk with cd drivers
    | included to format then install xp from cd.
    |
    | Can someone tell me how to do this?
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | Rob

    The loader seems to load to the nt page not the cd. What
    could this be?

    Rob

    Technologies:

    ----------------------------------

    Rob wrote:
    > The loader seems to load to the nt page not the cd. What
    > could this be?

    In your system BIOS, can you change to boot from CD first (has nothing to do
    with OS)?

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Rob Hargreaves wrote:
    || Hi I have installed NT 4.0 workstation and I have a
    || winsrv bsod screen I need to format the machine. I would
    || like to boot from cd allowing the option to format the
    || existing partition or to use a bootdisk with cd drivers
    || included to format then install xp from cd.
    || Can someone tell me how to do this?
    || Thanks
    || Rob

    Stick the XP CD in, set your BIOS to boot from CD and follow the
    instructions.

    QED

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director