Sign in with
Your question

PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW MY RIG!!!

Last response: in Motherboards
May 23, 2003 2:17:05 AM

I've never owned a computer my entire life, but i know everything about them.... except hardware... I've finnaly saved up enough money to build a PC and i am doing it myself.

I've done alot of researching on hardware. But i am still not sure if these are the best parts. Also if i am missing any parts or the parts are not compatible please if you would write a review for me and suggest better parts and configurations.

-Thank You

ANTEC Performance PLUSVIEW LE (Limited Edition) Model PLUSVIEW1000AMG LE - with Side Window Snap-On Fan Clips & Antec Case Straps Retail ***No Power Supply***
Specifications:
Color: Antec Metallic Gray AMG color
Material:Steel
Form Factor:Fits standard ATX / Xeon (PIII Core) / Pentium 4
Bays:External 4 x 5.25", 2 x 3.5" Internal 4 x 3.5"
Expansion Slots: 7 Slots
Fans: 2 Rear Standard
Power Supply:***NO POWER SUPPLY***
Large Side Window w/ 80mm Air Vent (fits 80mm case fan)
**Antec Case Strap Harness included

Asus Motherboard for AMD Athlon/XP/Duron Processors, Model# A7N8X Deluxe Retail
Socket A AMD Athlon/XP/Duron (support AMD XP3000 "Barton")
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 SPP, nForce2 MCP-T
FSB: 400/333/266MHz
IDE: 2 x ATA133
RAM: 3x 184-pin DIMM Sockets (PC3200/PC2700/PC2100 non-ECC DDR)
Slots: 1x AGP (Pro/8X), 5x PCI
Ports: 6x USB2.0
Onboard Silicon Image Sil 3112A Controller w/ 2 ports
NVIDIA SoundStorm Audio Processor Unit with Dolby
MCP integrated 3Com MAC + Broadcom AC101L PHY LAN
Firewire 1394: 2 Ports MCP-T integrated IEEE 1394a + Realtek PHY 8801B

POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DDR DVI+CRT+TV 8X AGP RETAIL
Specifications:
Chipset: RADEON 9800 PRO
Memory: 128MB DDR Double Data Rate
Bus:AGP 8X
256-bit memory interface delivers the bandwidth for real time 3D graphics and barrier free performance
8-pixel pipeline architecture doubles the rendering power of other graphics processors Maximum 3D
FULLSTREAM™ and VIDEOSHADER™ produce smoother looking, higher quality video and streaming Internet content without putting extra strain on the CPU.Supports the latest Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 and OpenGL® 2.0 feature sets.
Ports:VGA + DVI + S-Video

Antec Power supply True480 with Blue LED Fan Retail Antecs's True480 power supply with blue LED internal illumination.
Specifications:
+5V Stand-By & Logic On/Off
Antec Low Noise Technology
Maximum Power 480W
Dimensions - L5.9" x W5.5" x H3.4"
UL, CSA, TUV, CB, CE, NEMKO Approved
Antec Low Noise ATX12V, for AMD®
AQ3

AMD ATHLON XP 2800 "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- RETAIL
Specifications:
CPU: 2.08 GHz
Type: XP 2800 Barton Core
Cache: 512K L2, 128K L1, Total 640KB
BUS: 333MHz
Socket A

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency (Twin Pack) 512MB(2 x 256MB) 2x(32MX64) PC-3200LLPT With Platinum - Silver Heat Spreader.Retail
Specifications:
Speed 400 MHz
Organization 2 x 32M x 64
CAS Latency 2-2-2-6-T1
Memory type DDR

1.44MB 3.5 INCH INTERNAL FDD DRIVE - OEM-BLACK
Specifications:
Compatible with 720 KB and 1.44 MB 3.5-inch Floppy Disks
Media Maximum: 1.44 MB (Formatted)
Standard 34-pin floppy drive interface for easy installation
Rortational Speed: 300 rpm
MTBF: 30,000 Power On Hours

WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD800JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY
Specifications:
Size: 80 Gigabytes
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100
Seek time: 8.9ms
RPM:7200
Cache 8MB

Lite On 52x24x52 Black CDRW Model LTR-52246 OEM Buffer underrun error free & automatically adjust writing strategy plus running OPC to meet various burning condition.
Specifications:
Speed : Recording 52Xmax CAV Re-writing 24X High-Speed CLV Reading 52Xmax CAV
Interface : ATAPI-E/IDE, support up to Ultra-DMA Mode2 33.3MB/sec
Supported Media:CD-DA,CD-ROM,CD-Extra,CD-ROM/XA,Photo CD,CD-I Ready,Video CD,CD-R,CD-RW
Access Time : 80ms
Buffer Memory Size: 2MB
Operating System : Windows 95/98/NT/XP/2000/ME

LITE-ON XJ-HD166S/XJ-HD165H 16X DVD ROM Drive - Retail48X CD-ROM Access all format DVD-ROM/R/RW ,CD-ROM/R/RW title & disc Comes with Audio Cable, Manual and Power DVD Software

Thermaltake VOLCANO 10+, AMD Recommended!!
Opti-fin technology, made of All Copper.
For AMD Athlon XP up to 3400+.
Specifications:
Fan: 60x60x10 mm(Two Ball Bearing). Heat sink: 67x60x28.8 mm.
Fan Speed: 4800 ±10% RPM.
Air Flow: 21.19

More about : rate review rig

May 23, 2003 3:34:27 AM

Looks good. Make sure it's got at least one case fan, get an optical mouse, buy some Arctic Silver thermal compound to put in between the CPU and heatsink and run Windows XP or Linux. Might want to invest in some rounded IDE cables if you want the best possible airflow and look.

Never owned a computer before and you're building your first? Nicely done. It looks like you've planned out a screamer. Remember, many people's first build (including mine) either don't work or don't work properly, so don't get aggrivated if you encounter some problems. Just ask on the boards or send me an e-mail (darkdude@myrealbox.com).
May 23, 2003 3:46:51 AM

this is essentially what i have (2600+) and 9500 pro, but i must say this looks great. Same heatsink i have, quiet and keeps me at 105F at full load. Get a nice monitor and XP and ur in good shape. Iv had minor Memory probs with that board but I thinks thats due to the cheaper ram i bought, yours looks fine.
Related resources
May 23, 2003 4:10:40 AM

Wow, you do your homework well. I'm impressed. Slap a Thermaltake Smart Case Fan II or some other equivelant kind of 80mm case fan in that side cover. I'd also reccomend the ThermalTake Volcano 11 over the Volcano 10 due to the larger fan (spins slower, less noise), larger heatsink (better heat dissipation), and the fan speed controller (adjust it to what you like!).

Spread a super-thin coat of Artic Silver onto the CPU die (just the small chunk of metal sticking up) with a credit card and gently, but firmly mount the heatsink. Use extreme caution not to tip the heatsink while mounting. It's not hard to crack the corner of the CPU die.

I don't know how much of this you already know, as it seems you're above average in your research skills. Since you're short on hands-on experience we'll set you up with as much info as we can to prep ya!

<A HREF="http://rebturtle.com" target="_new">rebturtle</A>
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/rebturtle/TurtleTech.html" target="_new">My System</A>
May 23, 2003 4:20:13 AM

From what I understand, the PC2700 (333MHz) RAM will actually run faster than the 400MHz because of the FSB speed on your processor (which is 333MHz). If I remember correctly, it's because the RAM will run in sync with your processor. Other than that, your setup looks good! Just my two cents...

May 23, 2003 4:59:56 AM

Pretty good.... When you say you know everything about them, do you know how to install stuff?? It's pretty straight forward if you don't know. Asus should have a good manual so you can go through step by step.

I would not reccomend the Volcano 10 or the 11 cause I have not read good reviews about them. Instead take a look at the SK7 or similar. It's $25 compared to thermaltake's ~$30 stuff and you can choose any fan to put on top of it. It performs ALMOST as close to the SLK800, the current top heatsink on the market.

Don't know if you're an OCer but the 2800 should be good. OCing is pretty basic and with your PC3200 mem, it should perform very well.

Don't know anything about the 9800...except it's good reviews
May 23, 2003 5:57:52 AM

There are many details missing in your list. We can't reach a concrete conclusion.

/\/\ito
May 23, 2003 5:10:15 PM

wow cool, i want to thankyou all for your help!! and the more input i get from these boards the better. And no im not planning to over clock the computer... i dont even know how. And i bought a book on how to put it all together so i guess i should be fine.

-ThankYou!!
May 23, 2003 5:17:07 PM

Mito... what details am i missing from the list... i would like to know...
May 23, 2003 8:47:01 PM

youre not misssing any details, that sarcasm

also check out AMD's website, they have some videos on how to apply thermal grease, and how to properly mount your heatsink

by the way, if your paying for the 9800 pro, why not buy an nvidia 5900 ultra (if you can find one) its faster than the 9800 but will probably be the same price,

otherwise thats a really nice system

"Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion."
- Gen. (Ret) Norman Schwartzkopf
May 23, 2003 8:50:27 PM

Seriously bro, can you please elaborate a little more? LOL Mito..

My computer is the leading cause of global warming.
May 24, 2003 2:32:32 AM

bump! i really could use some more feedback please
May 24, 2003 3:02:43 AM

I see a lot of positive user feedback with Sapphire, so I'd go with Sapphire if you get the 9800 Pro.
May 24, 2003 12:02:02 PM

Just remember to include some coffee - lots of it.

As this is your first build it's inevitable you'll run into a couple of hiccups and then once you've got your rig built you'll want to run some benchmarks over a couple of days to test stability and performance.

Also keep another rig in reach so you'll be able to get back here in case things go pear shaped.

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>
May 25, 2003 3:30:29 AM

I don't check the mobo forum often, but I'm glad I did today. THe system you've got planned is almost exactly the same as I plan on building before June. The only exception is that I'm going with a 2600+

Everythign you have looks perfect, imo anyway

It's all good ^_^
May 27, 2003 5:10:03 PM

How do i run some benchmarks over a couple of days to test stability and performance? I'm curious to see how they work.
!