5 Laptops that Destroy the New MacBook Pros

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Get a spare battery with the extra money and macbooks get pawned 100% :D

[citation][nom]dwave[/nom]Got to love the Apple Tax....[/citation]

Its Teaparty time in the Boston harbor again.

Along with an MacBook I'll toss in the recently passed and unfinished health care bill.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]hoyt81[/nom]Will they play Crysis?[/citation]

Who likes being banned?

Anyway, why should the comments get out of hand?
It's not like no one is arguing that Macs have a premium price tag for the Apple "experience"

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Nice to see the prices actually went down while offer a better product.
One of my coworkers is about to buy a mac, maybe he can afford a 15" instead of a 13" now. =D
The 17" MBP went down by $300 over the week.

It also only costs $400 to go from 4GB to 8GB on the 7" MBP, just a week ago it was $600 on the site!

It'd still rather a highend Sager or Clevo though (for raw mobile computing power).

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]"ASUS G Series G51JX-A1""Price: $1,1397.86 - Amazon.com" ??[/citation]
Sorry, I fixed it now, should see the update soon. I accidentally put an extra 1 in there.

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Like I've always said, the only keeping me from getting a mac is their poor price/performance ratios. That and I'd like to play games (although steam is coming to mac) and the Mac platform just isn't PC game friendly. You could argue OS and Form factor all day long but honestly those aren't big enough issues for most people seeing as most of that is personal taste and the huge security gaps in the mac OS have already been an issue.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
None of them can even compare.
PC laptops: Average battery life 4 hours; Material: Cheep Plastic

Macbook Pros: Average battery life 8 - 10 hours; Material: Aluminum Unibody

G

I see Apple recognizing the value of i7 620M, why can't more PC manufacturers? (integrated graphics for long battery life)

mianmian

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Mackbook pro 15" : 5.6lb
ASUS G Series G51JX-A1 7.26lb
Alienware M15x: Starts at 9 pounds
Dell Studio XPS 16: 6.5lb
Sony VAIO VPCF113FX/H: 6.9 lbs
Everyone knows the lightweight of notebook comes at price.
Only comparing spec is stupid pointless for notebooks.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
It is indeed true that Apple focuses more on two things: battery life, which they are very good at, and design. They pick their specs to augment the battery, still, one can't help but cringe.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I never understood why people would pay so much extra for a little Apple logo, until I was having a couple beers in Skagway, AK at a little tourist bar. I hate to say it, but I was eavesdropping on a conversation a few tables down. A lady was bragging about her recent purchase of a Mac Book. I listened as she rambled through every slogan, catch phrase, and Apple branded jargon in existence, finally she ended with, "It just works." It was then that I understood the power of the Apple advertising (brainwashing) campaigns. It is scary stuff.

gpace

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I don't think many people know or even care about hardware. The general consumer either:

-Looks for something cheap, and have the salesperson talk them into paying for relatively useless extras.

-Looks for something cool and pretty, and don't care much about the price.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Correct,and what is the point of buying a laptop if you are not buying it for mobility, which means it needs to be light, sturdy and have a great battery life... 13 inch and maybe 15 is the way to go.

I laugh at those 17 inch and 18 inch laptops. I might as well build two desktop PCs with twice the performance for that money. I can't imagine someone dragging around a 10 pound laptop with them all day. Lol... you might as well put some wheels on them and roll'em around

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]It is indeed true that Apple focuses more on two things: battery life, which they are very good at, and design. They pick their specs to augment the battery, still, one can't help but cringe.[/citation]

Too true, I mean really $500 for a couple extra hours? Not worth my hard earned green. Also most of that extra battery life is probably dependent on limiting power and performance on the hardware, I'm willing to bet that if you ran all of those laptops at full capacity the difference in battery life would be much less impressive.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
@HalJordan, Apple products are designed to be pretty, and women like pretty stuff. Also most wives handle the $$ in the family, so you get the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.