Sign in with
Your question

quick question about onboard video

Last response: in Motherboards
May 23, 2003 4:13:11 AM

I'm looking at getting the Asus P4P800-VM motherboard for the p4 that I will be buying soon, but on pricewatch, the descriptions for this motherboard say that it has onboard video (which is definitely not acceptable for me). I'm planning on buying a radeon 9700 pro to put in there. My question was... with the onboard video, if I just disable it in the BIOS (I'm assuming), will it cause any slow-downs, conflicts, or problems of any kind with my radeon? Thanks in advance!

May 23, 2003 7:52:23 AM

No. Since the old days of the original i815 chipset, any Intel chipset that had both AGP and onboard AGP would disable the onboard AGP automatically when an AGP card is detected in the slot. So just stick a card in, don't worry about BIOS!

There won't be any slowdowns or conflicts, as the 865G chipset will be "magically transformed" into an 865P! You see, the added video feature is the only difference, and it is completely disabled (diconnected in fact) when a card is installed. It can't even be detected by the OS any longer. I say this from my earlier experience on the i815E, which was "transformed" into the i815EP when a card was installed.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
!