Enabling User Switching

My computer is set up on a network at work and currently it does not allow me
to switch users. I want to continue to run programs in the background while
other users log on (switch) to their accounts.

I attempted to go to the "user accounts" area in the control panel and find
the 'button' that says "change the way users log on" but it was not even
available.

Thanks for the help!!!
8 answers Last reply
More about enabling user switching

    Were you logged on as system admin?

    "PilotV" wrote:

    > My computer is set up on a network at work and currently it does not allow me
    > to switch users. I want to continue to run programs in the background while
    > other users log on (switch) to their accounts.
    >
    > I attempted to go to the "user accounts" area in the control panel and find
    > the 'button' that says "change the way users log on" but it was not even
    > available.
    >
    > Thanks for the help!!!

    Yes, I was logged in as a system administrator. My profile is set up as an
    administrator. I'm hoping that the very same thing as it being 'the'
    administrator.

    Thanks!

    "Ron J" wrote:

    > Were you logged on as system admin?
    >
    > "PilotV" wrote:
    >
    > > My computer is set up on a network at work and currently it does not allow me
    > > to switch users. I want to continue to run programs in the background while
    > > other users log on (switch) to their accounts.
    > >
    > > I attempted to go to the "user accounts" area in the control panel and find
    > > the 'button' that says "change the way users log on" but it was not even
    > > available.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the help!!!

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/fast_user_switching.mspx

    "Fast User Switching is not available on computers that are members of a
    network domain."

    "PilotV" wrote:

    > My computer is set up on a network at work and currently it does not allow me
    > to switch users. I want to continue to run programs in the background while
    > other users log on (switch) to their accounts.
    >
    > I attempted to go to the "user accounts" area in the control panel and find
    > the 'button' that says "change the way users log on" but it was not even
    > available.
    >
    > Thanks for the help!!!

    More info:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;280758

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294739

    "PilotV" wrote:

    > My computer is set up on a network at work and currently it does not allow me
    > to switch users. I want to continue to run programs in the background while
    > other users log on (switch) to their accounts.
    >
    > I attempted to go to the "user accounts" area in the control panel and find
    > the 'button' that says "change the way users log on" but it was not even
    > available.
    >
    > Thanks for the help!!!

    If a PC is hooked to a network can't it still be listed as belonging to a
    work group if you give that work group a name? Just a thought.
    Ron J

    nRoy" wrote:

    > More info:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;280758
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294739
    >

    > "PilotV" wrote:
    >
    > > My computer is set up on a network at work and currently it does not allow me
    > > to switch users. I want to continue to run programs in the background while
    > > other users log on (switch) to their accounts.
    > >
    > > I attempted to go to the "user accounts" area in the control panel and find
    > > the 'button' that says "change the way users log on" but it was not even
    > > available.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the help!!!

    MCDST?
    "Candidates should...have a working knowledge of operating in a workgroup or
    Active Directory® domain environment and how end users are affected by each
    environment."

    The links didn't work? Now that is odd. I wasn't sure about the first one,
    it being so long and all, but http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294739 looks
    like a pretty standard knowledge base link. Nothing that shouldn't work. They
    all work from here. I just tried them.

    I did not have enough knowledge to type an answer beyond "I've read that
    Fast User Switching is not available if the computer is on a domain;" so I
    thought I'd let someone more knowledgeable answer. Until someone did, WITHOUT
    that information. So I did a quick search to make sure my info was right, and
    posted the links, which provided a more complete and authoritative
    explanation than I would have been able to. Also, there is far more available
    at http://www.microsoft.com/ than I am willing to type.

    "Ron J" wrote:

    > I am well aware of MS.com I am MCDST , just nice once and while to see
    > someone
    > type an anwser and not drop a bunch of links. I know about the time
    > factor, hell I have been trying to help here for some time now By the way
    > none of the links you gave worked.

    Hello Ian ,
    ,
    1. I know for a fact that you can have a computer belong to a
    work group and use it in the network. I done it to day. The key word here is
    "Join". Not enough time to go into it all now.
    2. I know full well what a DST has to know and your being
    "cute"as not nessary.
    3. I did not see you mention your certs here. What do you do look
    for links then copy and paste and act like a trouble shooter?
    4. Don't waste you font on a reply I will not be back to this
    post. I am not here to argue with a cut and paste trouble shooter.
    And I thought a needed a life.
    Best of luck to you Ian.
    Ron J MCDST A+ Security A+
    "IanRoy" wrote:

    > MCDST?
    > "Candidates should...have a working knowledge of operating in a workgroup or
    > Active Directory® domain environment and how end users are affected by each
    > environment."
    >
    > The links didn't work? Now that is odd. I wasn't sure about the first one,
    > it being so long and all, but http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294739 looks
    > like a pretty standard knowledge base link. Nothing that shouldn't work. They
    > all work from here. I just tried them.
    >
    > I did not have enough knowledge to type an answer beyond "I've read that
    > Fast User Switching is not available if the computer is on a domain;" so I
    > thought I'd let someone more knowledgeable answer. Until someone did, WITHOUT
    > that information. So I did a quick search to make sure my info was right, and
    > posted the links, which provided a more complete and authoritative
    > explanation than I would have been able to. Also, there is far more available
    > at http://www.microsoft.com/ than I am willing to type.
    >
    > "Ron J" wrote:
    >
    > > I am well aware of MS.com I am MCDST , just nice once and while to see
    > > someone
    > > type an anwser and not drop a bunch of links. I know about the time
    > > factor, hell I have been trying to help here for some time now By the way
    > > none of the links you gave worked.

    One mre thing Ian. I ahve not seen you mention your certs here. You are
    certified, right?

    "IanRoy" wrote:

    > MCDST?
    > "Candidates should...have a working knowledge of operating in a workgroup or
    > Active Directory® domain environment and how end users are affected by each
    > environment."
    >
    > The links didn't work? Now that is odd. I wasn't sure about the first one,
    > it being so long and all, but http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294739 looks
    > like a pretty standard knowledge base link. Nothing that shouldn't work. They
    > all work from here. I just tried them.
    >
    > I did not have enough knowledge to type an answer beyond "I've read that
    > Fast User Switching is not available if the computer is on a domain;" so I
    > thought I'd let someone more knowledgeable answer. Until someone did, WITHOUT
    > that information. So I did a quick search to make sure my info was right, and
    > posted the links, which provided a more complete and authoritative
    > explanation than I would have been able to. Also, there is far more available
    > at http://www.microsoft.com/ than I am willing to type.
    >
    > "Ron J" wrote:
    >
    > > I am well aware of MS.com I am MCDST , just nice once and while to see
    > > someone
    > > type an anwser and not drop a bunch of links. I know about the time
    > > factor, hell I have been trying to help here for some time now By the way
    > > none of the links you gave worked.

Switch Microsoft Windows XP