Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I've got my 2.8c running stable at 3.22 with stock cooling and without a voltage increase. Woo hoo! I'm gonna push it further. I've been using 3dMark to test for stability. I let it loop for a few hours. Is there any other program out there that will challenge the stability of my system?

New Rig:
Asus P4C800
P4 2.8C
OCZ PC3500 DDR (512MB)
Adaptec 2120S
2 Seagate 15,000RPM Cheetah RAID 0
WD 200GB IDE 8MB cache
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Hercules GTXP
Pioneer 120S DVD
Sony DRU-500AX
Lian Li PC6 case
Enermax 550W PSU

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
Have you tried Prime95??
See how it does ... it should stress it!

edit - sorry... here's the link:
<A HREF="http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm" target="_new">mersenne.org</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by okietex on 05/23/03 11:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
Man .. that is looking good on your sys.

I'm over on the ABIT boards reading what some of those guys are doing. Need to compare your numbers with theirs and see how they sum up. I haven't done any OC'ing on my IC7-G yet but might test the waters a little in the next couple of weeks. I'm just happy my sys is working fairly well and seems darn fast too!

Good luck... -ot

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I was just reading about Prime95. How the hell is that going to stress my system? It seems to run in the background, uses very little resources and takes a month to complete!

okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
well, all I know is I let it run for 2 minutes ... thing started going thru different processes and my temp was rising and I had to shut it off. others i've read let it go for a whole day and just let it "stress" their system. there's a choice you can make -- either join their 'net' group or do the stress test ... just do that stress test.

just install it .. go to OPTIONS --> TORTURE TEST ...

and it will run thru some stress tests. there's some text files on their site and also when you install it called "Stress Test Info" ... read that - it should give more info.

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
I'd recommend running prime95 for at least 24 hours using the torture test.

I've had systems that have run completely stable with 3DMark 200x, Sandra, Toast etc but fell over with prime95.

On a 100% stable rig prime95 will run and run without fault so go for that. Also it can take a rig a couple of hours for all your components to get warmed up - especially the case which has a large impact on overall temps.

Therefore run any benchmark over a long period of time and if things start to get too hot then clearly theres a cooling issue.

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Whoa big fella! 4 Gig? Let's not go crazy. I'll go little by little. So far I've run 3dMark and Sandra CPU burn in for several hours without a problem. Meanwhile, I haven't increased the voltage yet! This CPU might be an awesome overclocker. And yes I would assume liquid cooling would be necessary to hit 4 Gig although even that would be a great feat.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I got it to boot at 3.3GHz but it crashed during Sandra's CPU burn-in. I increased the core voltage to 1.6V but to no avail. I'll go back to 3.2GHz and increase slowly.

As I was playing around with RAM timings and voltages in an effort to squeak out a little more performance, I noticed that if I leave the Configure DRAM Timing by SPD it defaults to CL 3. That's pretty lame. Also if the DRAM frequency is set to Auto, on the BIOS startup screen it reads 266. WTF? Am I wrong to assume that the memory bus and FSB are running synchronously? Is this just a BIOS glitch?

I have OCZ PC3500 RAM and have read several articles stating they were running the timings at 2-2-2-6 and 414MHz. If I set the DRAM frequency to 400 it won't POST. If I configure the RAM timings to 2-2-2-6 it won't POST. The best I can do is set the DRAM frequency to Auto and the timings to 2-2-2-7. Does anybody have an explanation for this? Is the motherboard the limiting factor?

Skipper007

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Quick question: Is O/Cing a 2.4 P4B to 3.0GHZ at a 166 FSB a safe overclock? I need to go cheap, but I know a local store who warrenties O/C systems as long as they consider it a safe O/C. I wanted to get your opinion on whether I should try and ask them.

BTW I would probably run a 865 board with dual channel DDR 333. Good DDR 400 is expensive in Canada.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I think it's pretty damn hard to fry a P4 nowadays. I would go for it but there's never a guarantee when you overclock. You might be able to go beyond 3.0 or you may be stuck around 2.5. Either way get good RAM. You increase your likelyhood of a good overclock.