brettbattles

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2003
I recently purchased an Antec 1080 AMG case from an online retailer with an Antec TruePower 550 PS, that I plan on using for an Athlon XP/nforce2 setup. It came in today, and eager to put it to use (and make sure the PS was working) I moved my old components from a <cough> Dell into the new case. I know it is an injustice to the case, but just for a week. OK, so I moved all of my components, and plugged in the power supply, turned on the switch on the back of the power supply, and pressed the power switch on the PS, and then for the case, NOTHING. I looked the install over thoroughly to make sure I didn't miss something, NOTHING. I plugged in the old PS from the Dell, and pressed the power switch on the case and presto. What could I be missing? How can I tell if the new PS works properly without trying it with another MB setup? Can it be done? Help. I can provide more detail if necessary.

Thanks.

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
Make sure the ATX plug is firmly attatched to your motherboard - as it's new it will probably be a tight fit.

To get the thing powered up without a mobo, connect a piece of wire between the green wire and a black one on the ATX plug (plz correct me if I'm wrong).This should make your PSU fans spin up.

If you've got a multimeter then proble the backs of the ATX plug whilst plugged into your mobo and powered on.

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>

okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
I've had to buy a couple of PS's for a couple of Dells that I have. They are proprietary ... and they have a special design. When you buy a replacement, you just can't get an Antec or whatever -- you have to make sure it's compatible with Dell. So, I'm guessing your PS isn't compatible with the DELL components ... if you have another sys that you can plug into that is not DELL, I bet it will work.

Try this out and you can see some diagrams of it --
<A HREF="http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/selector/index.htm" target="_new">pc power & cooling selector</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Take a look at your Intel motherboard. Notice near the ATX plug there are solder points for pins that are not there. Dell's version has the pins moved over 3 positions so that the voltage definitions are different. Dell did this to "teach you a lesson" when you tried to use "inferior" non-Dell replacement parts! It's actually supposed to fry the whole thing when you connect a standard power supply.

Unfortunately, some newer power supplies have "smart" circuitry built in to prevent that from happening, instead not powering up at all. It's really a shame as Dell worked so hard to make sure you'd get smoke and fireworks!

There is a site that shows how to rewire a power supply to work with Dell spec boards. But since it's really just an Intel board, you could, with some soldering skill, move the ATX connector back to the standard position. If you choose to modify the board to make it a standard Intel board, don't use the extra 6-pin header. Standard Intel boards don't have that header (just a bunch of solder points where it would go).

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>