Copies of copies

When I try to move some picture files into another folder, I got a copy of it
in my C: drive. When I deleted them, I got copies of the copy. I gave up when
I got to copy 10 on the file. How do I get rid of them and make it stop
making copies of files I want to delete?
4 answers Last reply
More about copies copies

    Middleearther wrote:
    > When I try to move some picture files into another folder, I got a
    > copy of it in my C: drive. When I deleted them, I got copies of the
    > copy. I gave up when I got to copy 10 on the file. How do I get rid
    > of them and make it stop making copies of files I want to delete?

    This usually occurs when selecting images holding the control key, and
    the
    mouse button is released while dragging. To select images in consecutive
    order use the shift key, select the first and last image to highlight
    all
    images in between, release the mouse button, then right click the
    highlighted
    image(s) choose delete. To select images that are not in consective
    order,
    use the control key, then after highlighting the images you wish to
    delete,
    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    I had a similar problem, although it was word type files, not pictures. I
    finally was able to delete the copies...like 30 of each files!! (each time
    I would delete one, a copy was made, boy was that irritating.)by opening
    explorer from the start icon, and I can't remember if I had to select each
    individually, one at a time, or if I could highlight and 'select all' but it
    worked.

    "Kath Adams" <kathadams@(nospam)mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Middleearther wrote:
    >> When I try to move some picture files into another folder, I got a
    >> copy of it in my C: drive. When I deleted them, I got copies of the
    >> copy. I gave up when I got to copy 10 on the file. How do I get rid
    >> of them and make it stop making copies of files I want to delete?
    >
    > This usually occurs when selecting images holding the control key, and the
    > mouse button is released while dragging. To select images in consecutive
    > order use the shift key, select the first and last image to highlight all
    > images in between, release the mouse button, then right click the
    > highlighted
    > image(s) choose delete. To select images that are not in consective order,
    > use the control key, then after highlighting the images you wish to
    > delete,
    > release the mouse button then, right click the highlighted image(s) choose
    > delete.
    > --
    > Kath Adams
    > MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:49:02 -0800, "Middleearther"
    <Middleearther@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >When I try to move some picture files into another folder, I got a copy of it
    >in my C: drive. When I deleted them, I got copies of the copy. I gave up when
    >I got to copy 10 on the file. How do I get rid of them and make it stop
    >making copies of files I want to delete?

    This happened to me sometimes too if I am highlighting one file and
    another and another to delete them in one command - somehow I move the
    mouse wrong and I get copies of everything I have highlighted thus far.
    And then I go to mass delete those and I move the mouse just wrong and I
    get copies of copies.

    Try closing the window & going back and deleting. If going back after
    opening a new window doesn't work. instead of highlighting the file to
    move it normally to move it, hit control-A, which highlights all in the
    folder. Then hold down the cntrol key and click each highlighted file or
    folder to un-highlight them, butdo not unhighlight the files in question.
    Then when you have only those files left as highlighted, use the "edit"
    button of Win explorer, and choose to "move to a folder "- not the
    standard move command. Then you direct the files to be moved to a folder
    in a different way.

    This probably is way off but it's what I'd try.

    ...D.

    lvee wrote:
    > I had a similar problem, although it was word type files, not pictures. I
    > finally was able to delete the copies...like 30 of each files!! (each time
    > I would delete one, a copy was made, boy was that irritating.)by opening
    > explorer from the start icon, and I can't remember if I had to select each
    > individually, one at a time, or if I could highlight and 'select all' but it
    > worked.
    >
    > "Kath Adams" <kathadams@(nospam)mvps.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>Middleearther wrote:
    >>
    >>>When I try to move some picture files into another folder, I got a
    >>>copy of it in my C: drive. When I deleted them, I got copies of the
    >>>copy. I gave up when I got to copy 10 on the file. How do I get rid
    >>>of them and make it stop making copies of files I want to delete?
    >>
    >>This usually occurs when selecting images holding the control key, and the
    >>mouse button is released while dragging. To select images in consecutive
    >>order use the shift key, select the first and last image to highlight all
    >>images in between, release the mouse button, then right click the
    >>highlighted
    >>image(s) choose delete. To select images that are not in consective order,
    >>use the control key, then after highlighting the images you wish to
    >>delete,
    >>release the mouse button then, right click the highlighted image(s) choose
    >>delete.
    >>--
    >>Kath Adams
    >>MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    I've got a saved Print Screen on my pc of my desktop covered in copies
    and copies of copies and copies of copies of copies. It makes me laugh
    every time I come across it so I dont' delete it. The solution I found
    at the time was to only click on about 5 files at a time to delete them
    until you clean up the mess -took a while but I was laughing all the time :)

Microsoft Windows XP