i need help and i need it bad!!

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
no sooner have i changed my epox board for a abit NF7-s like i said i would, im having yet more problems with that than i ever thought possible!
now i have changed a total of three cpus out of it to see if there would be any differences in the amount of overclockablity in them (they are all xp1700s) and im having, i must say some very weird problems..
for starters this last cpu that i have put in, the temp reading from the bios is telling me its at about 58C.. (after a few minutes) i know for a FACT its nowhere near that, as on the cpu heatsink, i can physically put my finger on it and its not that hot at all. whilst i was in the bios, the machine shut itself down, just like a click of a mouse..
i have set the shut down temps for 70C and the one in the soft set menu is at about 85C. so why is this shutting down? on my epox board the cpu temps of the xp1700 i had in the board never went above 50C, never. but now it seems to be a regular thing happening.. but as of now when its shut itself down, i cant seem to get it to turn on again. great eh? also the warning temp is set at 65C, i never had any sign of warnings or anything.. it just shut itself down.. also, it never said it got to 65C either...
i have no idea whats going on with this board, i have had so much trouble getting this board today its unreal.. but its even worse then the epox board for everything, overclocking, stabilty and more importantly, actually working!!
something is definitly wrong with this board, has anyone really got any sugguestions on what it could be? its a brand new board, bios hasnt been flashed or anything, its running out of the box....
when i was trying to overclock the cpu, the voltage wasnt high at all (never above 1.8v) same as the vdimm (never above 2.8v) and same with the chip set.. so why is it performing so bad? the board wont boot with the same cpu that was in the epox with the same settings, it wont run at half the settings that the epox did and when trying to overclock it slightly higher than 200fsb.. all i get is problems..
please please please please please, can someone give me some insight as to what is happening with this apparently, great board..
oh and yes the heat sink is on right and there is thermal paste on the cpu...
before the below problem, with a 1.55V setting, cpu set to 2ghz (10x200) it was under load using folding 3.24 and was reading at 50C.. and now its reading the temp at -48C in the bios and in Windows XP using the Motherboard monitor 5 program.. something isnt right here guys... please help me!!
oh and i have just found a big prob, the thermal probe has come off.. i just found it on the floor...

If it blows up? Opps.... I must have been doing something wrong

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Man, you sure have the guts to overclock when your CPU is extremely unstable even under normal condition (thumb up). Like I said to you before if you remember, Epox is the best thing for overclockers. Anyway, just exchange this mobo for a new one, it has been blown up.

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
well with overclocking the cpu i have, it was at stock voltage, which was 1.5V. it was running at 2ghz with an idle temp of about 40C, which is miles to high compared to the Epox board which was struggling to hit 30C in the same setup...
well i had an epox board, but that went wrong, so i bought this one thinking things might be different as all the reviews and what not ever saying that the NF7-S was giving the epox board a run for its money, but in my case, it was making things miles worse...
im just in the process of emailing abit and the company that sold me the board.. :frown:

If it blows up? Opps.... I must have been doing something wrong