Broad band wireless difficulties

allen

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,
I hope someone here might be able to give me some pointers on this as I am
terribly frustrated with it.

I have recently hand a cable modem installed. I have three computers tied to
this modem through a wireless router.

The router is a NetGear. One computer is directly connected by wire. The
other two computers are connected by wireless cards.

Ever since getting this set up I have had great difficulty getting this to
maintain a connection. NetGear is not helpful (one e-mail from them is not
enough for tech support).

I am not sure exactly what the problem is. The computers are very close to
the router. The family computer is in the next room, approximately 20-30
feet and this computer I am on is no more than 5 feet away.

At all times the WinXP "Wireless Network Connection (NETGEAR)" shows a
connection speed of 54 Mbps; connection EXCELLENT and Status CONNECTED.

When the signal drops this is still reading the same. I pull the plug on the
router, wait 15 seconds, reconnect, wait 15 seconds and then again try
accessing.

The cable modem is working just great. The problem appears, to me (NO
EXPERT) to be the router. OR it could be I have not set this thing up
correctly at all. It should not be dropping like it does. Sometimes it stays
connected for several hours at a time 24-48, and then trouble starts again.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Allen

Hi,

Here's a way to tell if it's the router or the cable modem: When the
connection drops, can you still see the other machines in your home network?
If you can, then the problem is probably the connection to the outer world
(modem), and not the router. You may find that you need a firmware update
for the router as well. Netgear has them for free on their support site,
follow the instructions to the letter.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/