How do I track/locate/identify the interference of my 802...

Archived from groups: rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

I need help, and I can't find anyone smart enough to help me. I have
a 802.11b network where I live and I feel like I'm under attack. My
WiFi cards and my bridges see no other networks, my router reports no
attack or other anomalies. According to my Linksys WET11 bridge I
have a 65-78% signal strength (intermittent) with no Link Quality. My
instincts say it is some kind of interference, but I have no clue on
tracking/locating/identifying it.

Any ideas??? I'm desperate.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
4 answers Last reply
More about track locate identify interference
  1. Archived from groups: rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Newer cordless phones, cellular phones, wireless video transmitters, and
    microwave ovens, can all cause interference in the 2.4GHz spectrum.

    You might also post in: alt.internet.wireless, and
    microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless

    Bill Crocker

    "RangerScott" <rangerswh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I need help, and I can't find anyone smart enough to help me. I have
    > a 802.11b network where I live and I feel like I'm under attack. My
    > WiFi cards and my bridges see no other networks, my router reports no
    > attack or other anomalies. According to my Linksys WET11 bridge I
    > have a 65-78% signal strength (intermittent) with no Link Quality. My
    > instincts say it is some kind of interference, but I have no clue on
    > tracking/locating/identifying it.
    >
    > Any ideas??? I'm desperate.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Scott
  2. Archived from groups: rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    dect phones are the normal culprits.
    they have a somewhat greater range and higher power.
    as do video senders.

    however i think you may be just a little premature here.
    try changing channel away from 6 or 11
    there might be other networks that are not SSID'ing but i would not expect
    every channel to have multiple signals.

    what kind of range are we looking at here as to the failure you are getting.

    mike

    "RangerScott" <rangerswh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I need help, and I can't find anyone smart enough to help me. I have
    > a 802.11b network where I live and I feel like I'm under attack. My
    > WiFi cards and my bridges see no other networks, my router reports no
    > attack or other anomalies. According to my Linksys WET11 bridge I
    > have a 65-78% signal strength (intermittent) with no Link Quality. My
    > instincts say it is some kind of interference, but I have no clue on
    > tracking/locating/identifying it.
    >
    > Any ideas??? I'm desperate.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Scott

    ---
  3. Archived from groups: rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    "RangerScott" <rangerswh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I need help, and I can't find anyone smart enough to help me. I have
    > a 802.11b network where I live and I feel like I'm under attack. My
    > WiFi cards and my bridges see no other networks, my router reports no
    > attack or other anomalies. According to my Linksys WET11 bridge I
    > have a 65-78% signal strength (intermittent) with no Link Quality. My
    > instincts say it is some kind of interference, but I have no clue on
    > tracking/locating/identifying it.
    >
    > Any ideas??? I'm desperate.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Scott

    Leaky microwave ovens will do that a LOT. Doesnt take much of a leak from a
    700-1000 Watt cavity power osc to swap the router or bridge. They sit at
    2.450Ghz...give or take 100MHZ! They move around with voltage and most of
    all temperature variations...good luck in the hunt.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    herze what you need ........

    common problem ...... this fix has been around for some time ....

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25397&item=3837400143&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61818&item=5718755857&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61818&item=5719024854&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42196&item=6706375318&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

    this stuff is also great for the scanner hobbyist ..... great for
    finding nanny cams , room bugs and such ..... ( 2.4 gig , of course )

    k.....................

    On 6 Sep 2004 10:31:03 -0700, rangerswh@yahoo.com (RangerScott) wrote:

    >I need help, and I can't find anyone smart enough to help me. I have
    >a 802.11b network where I live and I feel like I'm under attack. My
    >WiFi cards and my bridges see no other networks, my router reports no
    >attack or other anomalies. According to my Linksys WET11 bridge I
    >have a 65-78% signal strength (intermittent) with no Link Quality. My
    >instincts say it is some kind of interference, but I have no clue on
    >tracking/locating/identifying it.
    >
    >Any ideas??? I'm desperate.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Scott