Why not Splitscreen? if L4D can do it, why not other games?

Come on, our decent rigs can perfectly do splitscreen as the weaker consoles can do...
I mean, why not just throw in two kb/m or something?


Is it that hard to implement it? i wish to see this as i got a whole lot of games on my computer, but they can only be played with ONE person. Bullshit! :fou: :fou:
14 answers Last reply
More about splitscreen games
  1. I know it sucks...im just glad i know have two moderate rigs for gaming between me and my buddy

    I ran L4D in split screen with a ps3 controller and kb mouse

    1920x1080

    And everything but AA/AF and vsync maxed out :D

    on my...

    AMD 4400+ @ 2.2ghz i believe...usually @ 2.6ghz for most games
    9800GTX+ @ 760mhz...runs ALOT smoother when around 830mhz...
    2gbs of ram...

    on my 50" samsung hdtv...delicious :)

    Freaking epic for like 4 hours straight...just awsome

    The only problem is L4D isn't much of a challenge...i mean its so easy to whip the M-16 out and head shot any enemy...
  2. ok, i can't get L4D splitscreen to work right... it's always my controller doing the wrong player... how the hell did you do it?
  3. Dude it is such a bitch to do its ridiculous...you know you have to have two controllers right

    Just follow one of the guides and pray it works the first time...one of the two controllers will work when done right and you can use the kb and mouse for player 1...

    Make sure you are replacing all of the right configs and installing the drivers right and the controllers are working etc...such a pain...but at the end its sooo worth it...

    I had to give up on my 64 bit rig system as i couldn't get it to work period on that system...
  4. what, it doesn't work on vista 64? then i'm screwed.
    what controllers, the xbox 360 ones?
    do they have to be the same controllers?

    i got two, only problem is the one of them is xbox 360, the other one is a Logitech PS2 knock-off...
  5. Emm i am not sure it may work...you have to have one controller plugged up and than a second one as well for l4d to recognize and assign one of the controllers as player two...i was mentioning my signature 64 bit os...XP 64 bit

    If you look at guides for generic controllers there may be something there...or go and specifically ask at the l4d forums or an l4d community
  6. First of all, it would be cool if more PC games did it. I think L4D was more mistake than intended to have split screen (they rushed the game out and just left a console feature in the PC version).


    As for getting it too work in L4D it's not too difficult once you figure it out the first time. Here's a few notes from my experience:

    It does work in Vista64, but some of the extra apps which make it easier may not.

    You don't need two controllers if you use the right extra apps to emulate a joystick. Also you can us those apps to dictate which controller is for which player.

    Most game pads will work. Basically if the game detect yours and the buttons are recognized it will work (test this out by going into the controller setup in the game menu).

    Personally for me the hardest part was getting my config file setup for my particular controller. I was able to get split screen w/KB&M on one side and gamepad on the other pretty easily, but it took a while to get the mapping correct for my gamepad to work the way I wanted it.
  7. what are the extra apps? I have Xpadder for kb/m emulation on my controllers, but what controllers are you using? if you happen to have mine, can you send me your controller config by email? (brett.bodi@gmail.com)
  8. ppjoy is the app for emulating a second controller (so you only need one). The other app is JoyIDs (from wingmanteam) and it let's you set the order of your joysticks. So if you have 1 real gamepad and an emulated one you can set the real one to #2 so that it is the second player.

    As for the config the biggest thing I got stuck on remembering to set all gamepad maps to player 2. That means using the "cmd2" command in front of each command in the config file. Some configs don't specify this so instead of
    +jlook
    you should use
    cmd +jlook

    Really the biggest pain of the whole process is that the various "how-tos" are not very good. For example the most popular one from the Steam forums (and #1 on a search of "Left 4 Dead Split Screen") says to do some stupid unplug-plug-back in during startup rather than using programs I listed above to get the right setup.
  9. You dont need any apps, mine worked first time no problem. Just convert the 360controller config file to a notepad documet and overrite it with the specialized code, enable it in the menu and your fine. No extra apps are needed.

    I even have it set up so I can get 4 player LAN with 2 PC's and one steam account, it's very fun.
  10. tallguy1618 said:
    You dont need any apps, mine worked first time no problem. Just convert the 360controller config file to a notepad documet and overrite it with the specialized code, enable it in the menu and your fine. No extra apps are needed.

    I even have it set up so I can get 4 player LAN with 2 PC's and one steam account, it's very fun.

    That's exactly what I said. The extra apps are not needed, thus why it can be done in Vista 64 even if the extra apps won't run. But they are nice if you want to change the config around (like which player uses the controller) since the game does not have any way of assigning controllers to specific players.
  11. purplerat said:
    ppjoy is the app for emulating a second controller (so you only need one). The other app is JoyIDs (from wingmanteam) and it let's you set the order of your joysticks. So if you have 1 real gamepad and an emulated one you can set the real one to #2 so that it is the second player.

    As for the config the biggest thing I got stuck on remembering to set all gamepad maps to player 2. That means using the "cmd2" command in front of each command in the config file. Some configs don't specify this so instead of
    +jlook
    you should use
    cmd +jlook

    Really the biggest pain of the whole process is that the various "how-tos" are not very good. For example the most popular one from the Steam forums (and #1 on a search of "Left 4 Dead Split Screen") says to do some stupid unplug-plug-back in during startup rather than using programs I listed above to get the right setup.


    ok, everything ALMOST works... except for one thing...

    the second controller, which is an xbox360, every controls on it work EXCEPT for the right stick, and you can only look left and right, not up and down at all... WTH?
  12. rewindlabs said:
    *snip*

    The only problem is L4D isn't much of a challenge...i mean its so easy to whip the M-16 out and head shot any enemy...

    Tried an expert campaign?
    Or indeed versus against a decent opponent
  13. alright, i got two xbox360 controllers, which means everything should work... but noooooo... the freaking second controller can't look up and down, yet everything else works fine. WTF?
  14. spuddyt said:
    Tried an expert campaign?
    Or indeed versus against a decent opponent

    I'm not interested in l4d online..and the campaign is on the highest difficulty...
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Computers Games Video Games