This has got to be a no-brainer but where is the backup utility in XP? In 98
it was under system tools but I can't find it in XP. A search of the help
menu has no information either. Thanks.
--
Ed S

In news:59DE9F44-7C54-4E42-A4F3-766048DCA770@microsoft.com,
Ed S <EdS@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> This has got to be a no-brainer but where is the backup utility
> in
> XP? In 98 it was under system tools but I can't find it in XP.
> search of the help menu has no information either. Thanks.

You have XP Home Edition?

Backup is installed automatically on XP Professional, but not on
XP Home. If you have the complete XP Home CD, find backup on the
CD, in \ValueAdd\MSFT\NTBACKUP and install it yourself by
doubleclicking the file ntbackup.msi.

If you don't have an XP CD, you can download ntbackup.msi at
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi

Also see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894

Please reply to the newsgroup

Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ed S" wrote:

| This has got to be a no-brainer but where is the backup utility in XP? In 98
| it was under system tools but I can't find it in XP. A search of the help
| menu has no information either. Thanks.
| --
| Ed S

I have XP Home and found the file on my XP disk. Does the warning about ASR
have any meaning to me? I find it confusing. Also, it says you must backup to
a file of 650MB or less and then copy the file to a CD. That seems pretty
awkward for such an important function that was present in previous releases
of Windows.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home
>
> HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Ed S" wrote:
>
> | This has got to be a no-brainer but where is the backup utility in XP? In 98
> | it was under system tools but I can't find it in XP. A search of the help
> | menu has no information either. Thanks.
> | --
> | Ed S

No. ASR is available in XP Pro only.
Why don't you take a look at Backup's big brother, BackUpMyPC (Stomp). The
XP Backup is a subset of this. You can download a 30-day trial and give it
a test drive.
http://www.stompinc.com/bump/bump-retail.phtml?stp

"Ed S" <EdS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP Home and found the file on my XP disk. Does the warning about ASR
> have any meaning to me? I find it confusing. Also, it says you must backup
> a file of 650MB or less and then copy the file to a CD. That seems pretty
> awkward for such an important function that was present in previous
> releases
> of Windows.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
>> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home
>>
>> HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in
>> Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "Ed S" wrote:
>>
>> | This has got to be a no-brainer but where is the backup utility in XP?
>> In 98
>> | it was under system tools but I can't find it in XP. A search of the
>> help
>> | menu has no information either. Thanks.
>> | --
>> | Ed S

Thank you all for your help. I'll try the utility in xp first; if that
doesn't meet my needs I'll take a look at BackUpMyPC.