Performing Backups

This has got to be a no-brainer but where is the backup utility in XP? In 98
it was under system tools but I can't find it in XP. A search of the help
menu has no information either. Thanks.
--
Ed S
5 answers Last reply

    In news:59DE9F44-7C54-4E42-A4F3-766048DCA770@microsoft.com,
    Ed S <EdS@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > This has got to be a no-brainer but where is the backup utility
    > in
    > XP? In 98 it was under system tools but I can't find it in XP.
    > search of the help menu has no information either. Thanks.

    You have XP Home Edition?

    Backup is installed automatically on XP Professional, but not on
    XP Home. If you have the complete XP Home CD, find backup on the
    CD, in \ValueAdd\MSFT\NTBACKUP and install it yourself by
    doubleclicking the file ntbackup.msi.

    If you don't have an XP CD, you can download ntbackup.msi at
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi

    Also see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

    HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Ed S" wrote:

    | This has got to be a no-brainer but where is the backup utility in XP? In 98
    | it was under system tools but I can't find it in XP. A search of the help
    | menu has no information either. Thanks.
    | --
    | Ed S

    I have XP Home and found the file on my XP disk. Does the warning about ASR
    have any meaning to me? I find it confusing. Also, it says you must backup to
    a file of 650MB or less and then copy the file to a CD. That seems pretty
    awkward for such an important function that was present in previous releases
    of Windows.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
    > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home
    >
    > HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Ed S" wrote:
    >
    > | This has got to be a no-brainer but where is the backup utility in XP? In 98
    > | it was under system tools but I can't find it in XP. A search of the help
    > | menu has no information either. Thanks.
    > | --
    > | Ed S

    No. ASR is available in XP Pro only.
    Why don't you take a look at Backup's big brother, BackUpMyPC (Stomp). The
    XP Backup is a subset of this. You can download a 30-day trial and give it
    a test drive.
    http://www.stompinc.com/bump/bump-retail.phtml?stp

    "Ed S" <EdS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have XP Home and found the file on my XP disk. Does the warning about ASR
    > have any meaning to me? I find it confusing. Also, it says you must backup
    > a file of 650MB or less and then copy the file to a CD. That seems pretty
    > awkward for such an important function that was present in previous
    > releases
    > of Windows.
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
    >> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home
    >>
    >> HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in
    >> Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    >> "Ed S" wrote:
    >>
    >> | This has got to be a no-brainer but where is the backup utility in XP?
    >> In 98
    >> | it was under system tools but I can't find it in XP. A search of the
    >> help
    >> | menu has no information either. Thanks.
    >> | --
    >> | Ed S

    Thank you all for your help. I'll try the utility in xp first; if that
    doesn't meet my needs I'll take a look at BackUpMyPC.

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > No. ASR is available in XP Pro only.
    > Why don't you take a look at Backup's big brother, BackUpMyPC (Stomp). The
    > XP Backup is a subset of this. You can download a 30-day trial and give it
    > a test drive.
    > http://www.stompinc.com/bump/bump-retail.phtml?stp

    > "Ed S" <EdS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have XP Home and found the file on my XP disk. Does the warning about ASR
    > > have any meaning to me? I find it confusing. Also, it says you must backup
    > > a file of 650MB or less and then copy the file to a CD. That seems pretty
    > > awkward for such an important function that was present in previous
    > > releases
    > > of Windows.
    > >
    > > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
    > >> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home
    > >>
    > >> HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in
    > >> Windows XP
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Carey Frisch
    > >> Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    > >> Microsoft Newsgroups
    > >>
    > >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    > >> In 98
    > >> help

Backup Microsoft Windows XP