Microsoft sidewinder precision 2 joystick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iain

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
This joystick is compatible up to microsoft windows Xp.
I am looking to upgrade. Is it compatible with Intel i7? Or Vista?

Solution
I also own a Sidewinder Precision 2, and I can confirm it works with Windows 7 (and therefore Vista as well) using the default Windows USB drivers. No extra installation was necessary. The type of processor you use is irrelevant - this joystick should work with every x86 processor made in the last 2 decades.

Iain

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008

I missed putting the other future operating system, or Windows 7?

Sci_Tech

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
I also own a Sidewinder Precision 2, and I can confirm it works with Windows 7 (and therefore Vista as well) using the default Windows USB drivers. No extra installation was necessary. The type of processor you use is irrelevant - this joystick should work with every x86 processor made in the last 2 decades.

Solution

pshackett

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I have the Sidewinder Precision 2 and in my new computer... Windows 7. I fly several Combat Flight Simulators and Flight Simulator X. The stick works on most with the notable exception of MS Combat Flight Simulator WWII Europe Series. The game simply does not see it. The computer tells me it's connected and working fine. Nothing I do relinquishes the command of flight to the joystick. If someone has a reason or a remedy, please don't hesitate.

Pete

Iain

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Thank you very much for your replies to my query. I shall go on with it as long a windows allows, at least up to windows 7. Recent sticks just dont have its feel.
I used to use the precision 2 as well as the precision pro in combat flight simulator WW2 Europe series using windows 98.

Microsoft support should help with issues related to windows 7 in this page related to the game itself.

http://www.microsoft.com/GAMES/combatfs1/tips_and_support.htm

Combat Flight Simulator Support Statement
The majority of Combat Flight Simulator customers report a flawless installation and a great game experience. However, a few of our customers have reported issues when installing the North American version of the game. If you have experienced an issue with installation, please contact Microsoft Technical Support at 425-637-9308 M-F, 6am - 6pm Pacific Time.

When you call please have the following information ready:
Name
Address
Phone number
Combat Flight Simulator package
Combat Flight Simulator CD
CD drive brand name and speed
A Microsoft technician will provide swift resolution to the issue.
Combat Flight Simulator Technical Support is also available online via the FAQ, or you may search for a specific question in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

nucleare

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Microsoft SideWinder Precision 2 joystick VS. XBOX 360

Does someone know any aplication for xbox360 so my xbox360 can recognize my Microsoft SideWinder Precision 2 joystick

peterjay

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010

Good morning,

I am in exactly the same situation as you and wondered if you have any advice as to a solution to the problem. I'd be extremely grateful for any advice you can offer.
kind regards
peterjay

RAC_Murph

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Despite Microsoft's own misleading claims on their website, the MS SideWinder 2, Precison Pro and Force Feedback controllers are NOT compatable with Windows 7 (32/64 bit).

For while the stick will work "as is" and "out of the box" when plugged into any USB port (as it will in any Win OS)......

- Win7 refuses to recogonize the stick in the Device Mananger.

- As there are no drivers for the SideWinder you cannot force an "update to install" a SideWinder from within the Device Manager.

- Likewise you cannot force an istall of a SideWinder through the use of the Add Hardware utility/feature.

- The SideWinder software (versions 3-4) itself will install in Win7, but the installation setup will always fails at the testing portion, asking you to then exit or continue.

- The Sidewinder System Tray icon will show in the taskbar and the SW Control Panel will actually open and run. The SideWinder will even be correctly listed in the Control Panel, but as soon as you click on Properties to modify the stick settings or create/test an existing/new profile, the listing of the SideWinder in the Control Panel will disapear.

- The SideWinder calibration software (from earlier versions of the software) will install and run, but without being able to modify and customize the stick is otherwise useless.

- The SideWinder settings may be able to be modified/customized from within and while in/running certain games, but the success rate of the settings working and being saved is near Zero.

- Neither the use of compatability mode or installing/running as an adminstrator will correct the problems.

- Nor will the installation of a ready made/saved stick profile into the SW folder.

Conclusion:

Buy a new stick for Win7 after first checking with others that it will actually work and can be customized in Win7 (and is not simply listed as being compatabile the way the SideWinder is).

Status
Not open for further replies.