slow computer

My computer has slowed down considerably lately. I found that some 50
processes are running (up from 39 a month ago). I removed some by unchecking
programs in the startup list (through msconfig).

Is there any way to find out what all these processes are good for and to
eliminate those which are not necessary?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:AdSdnahdqa5uyKLfRVn-2Q@comcast.com,
M Weiss <m2weiss@comcast.net> had this to say:

> My computer has slowed down considerably lately. I found that some 50
> processes are running (up from 39 a month ago). I removed some by
> unchecking programs in the startup list (through msconfig).
>
> Is there any way to find out what all these processes are good for
> and to eliminate those which are not necessary?

Google the process name. Works pretty well actually.

Galen

1. What loads at startup?
http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm

2. Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

M Weiss wrote:
> My computer has slowed down considerably lately. I found that some 50
> processes are running (up from 39 a month ago). I removed some by
> unchecking programs in the startup list (through msconfig).
>
> Is there any way to find out what all these processes are good for and to
> eliminate those which are not necessary?

Thanks. I downloaded Cswshredder. It found one entry, removed it, and freed
some 100MB of RAM.

Moshe

> 1. What loads at startup?
> http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm
>
> 2. Help with Hijackware http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/ --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
>

> M Weiss wrote:
>> My computer has slowed down considerably lately. I found that some 50
>> processes are running (up from 39 a month ago). I removed some by
>> unchecking programs in the startup list (through msconfig).
>>
>> Is there any way to find out what all these processes are good for and to
>> eliminate those which are not necessary?

Thanks. This Google search works great. Turned out that most of these
processes are required, though.

moshe

> In news:AdSdnahdqa5uyKLfRVn-2Q@comcast.com,
> M Weiss <m2weiss@comcast.net> had this to say:

>> My computer has slowed down considerably lately. I found that some 50
>> processes are running (up from 39 a month ago). I removed some by
>> unchecking programs in the startup list (through msconfig).
>>
>> Is there any way to find out what all these processes are good for
>> and to eliminate those which are not necessary?
>
> Google the process name. Works pretty well actually.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

100MB of RAM? Jeez...imagine what Ad-aware SE and Spybot will find/do!
--
~PA Bear

M Weiss wrote:
> Thanks. I downloaded Cswshredder. It found one entry, removed it, and
> freed some 100MB of RAM.
>
> Moshe

> > 1. What loads at startup?
> > http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm
> >
> > 2. Help with Hijackware http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm
> > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> > http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/ --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
> >

> > M Weiss wrote:
> > > My computer has slowed down considerably lately. I found that some 50
> > > processes are running (up from 39 a month ago). I removed some by
> > > unchecking programs in the startup list (through msconfig).
> > >
> > > Is there any way to find out what all these processes are good for
> > > and to eliminate those which are not necessary?

I use both Ad-aware and Spybot. The didn't find that one

> 100MB of RAM? Jeez...imagine what Ad-aware SE and Spybot will find/do!
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> M Weiss wrote:
>> Thanks. I downloaded Cswshredder. It found one entry, removed it, and
>> freed some 100MB of RAM.
>>
>> Moshe
>>
>> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > 1. What loads at startup?
>> > http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm
>> >
>> > 2. Help with Hijackware http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>> > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>> > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>> > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm
>> > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
>> > http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/ --
>> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta does a good job for me in addition to AdAware and
Spybot S&D. I also recommend Spyblaster, which works differently from the
others. I am impressed with it.

In news:ei6pOkzLFHA.1308@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:

> Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta does a good job for me in addition
> AdAware and Spybot S&D. I also recommend Spyblaster, which
> works
> differently from the others. I am impressed with it.

I typo, I'm sure, but I assume you mean "Spyware Blaster." I
agree and recommend it too.

Please reply to the newsgroup

I did. :)

> In news:ei6pOkzLFHA.1308@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:
>
>> Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta does a good job for me in addition to
>> AdAware and Spybot S&D. I also recommend Spyblaster, which works
>> differently from the others. I am impressed with it.
>

> I typo, I'm sure, but I assume you mean "Spyware Blaster." I agree and
> recommend it too.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

kelly

> I typo

:eek:)

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

In news:OwrGmn3LFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> typed:

>> I typo
>
>> o)

LOL! I can make typos with the best of 'em!

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in
> message
>> I did. :)
>>
>> --
>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>> message
>>> In news:ei6pOkzLFHA.1308@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>>> Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:

>>> I typo, I'm sure, but I assume you mean "Spyware Blaster." I
>>> agree
>>> and recommend it too.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

kelly

Double <LOL> Yup, me too and all day. <w>

--

In news:%23xP5b$DMFHA.1472@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:

> Double <LOL> Yup, me too and all day. <w>

Wot??? We've got a competition? Somewhere along my travels I once picked up
Gabe's Typometer... Grab it and play with it DTSers ;) It's fun...

Galen

Galen wrote:
> > Double <LOL> Yup, me too and all day. <w>
>
> Wot??? We've got a competition? Somewhere along my travels I once picked
> up Gabe's Typometer... Grab it and play with it DTSers ;) It's fun...

'ajow ua^a wa. asnJuoc ll.+I ¡bu!&hî umoC ap!s&ñ hjî

[http://www.superliminal.com/upsidedown/NQAS.htm]
--
~jeaqoä

kelly

--

> Galen wrote:
>> > Double <LOL> Yup, me too and all day. <w>
>>
>> Wot??? We've got a competition? Somewhere along my travels I once picked
>> up Gabe's Typometer... Grab it and play with it DTSers ;) It's fun...
>
> 'ajow ua^a wa. asnJuoc ll.+I ¡bu!&hî umoC ap!s&ñ hjî
>
> [http://www.superliminal.com/upsidedown/NQAS.htm]
> --
> ~jeaqoä

What'd the bear step in now? Hope he wipes his paws off outside this time.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> Oh-Oh....Bear stepped in and I have no clue what he said. :eek:(
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

>>> Wot??? We've got a competition? Somewhere along my travels I once picked
>>> up Gabe's Typometer... Grab it and play with it DTSers ;) It's fun...
>>
>> 'ajow ua^a wa. asnJuoc ll.+I ¡bu!&hî umoC ap!s&ñ hjî
>>
>> [http://www.superliminal.com/upsidedown/NQAS.htm]
>> --
>> ~jeaqoä

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%235magZbPFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> had this to say:

> What'd the bear step in now? Hope he wipes his paws off outside this
> time.

Yeah but we still have to let him in even if he doesn't. <g>

Galen