Ping works, but still can't share files?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
September 6, 2004 7:10:54 PM

I have a wireless router, my desktop is plugged straight into it, and my
laptop has the wireless card. Before I went wireless, I had networked them
using a firewire and had created a firewire network that worked fine. When
I went wireless, I found that all of those networking settings worked fine
over the wireless, I didn't have to change anything.

But.

When I was attending grad-school, the tech took our laptops so we could
access the school's massively encrypted wireless internet. When I got home,
blamo, I could no longer share files.

I can ping each computer with the other.
The laptop actually sees the desktop in the workgroup, but you can't expand
it and see the shared folders.
The desktop can't see the laptop in the workgroup, but can ping it.

The desktop of course lists all of its own shared folders under the
workgroup name, but not the laptop's.

The laptop lists all of its own share folders under the workgroup name but
not the desktop's

Any ideas?

Thanks!

JR

More about : ping works share files

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
September 7, 2004 2:01:32 AM

Spassvogel wrote:

>I have a wireless router, my desktop is plugged straight into it, and my
>laptop has the wireless card. Before I went wireless, I had networked them
>using a firewire and had created a firewire network that worked fine. When
>I went wireless, I found that all of those networking settings worked fine
>over the wireless, I didn't have to change anything.
>
>But.
>
>When I was attending grad-school, the tech took our laptops so we could
>access the school's massively encrypted wireless internet. When I got home,
>blamo, I could no longer share files.
>
>I can ping each computer with the other.
>The laptop actually sees the desktop in the workgroup, but you can't expand
>it and see the shared folders.
>The desktop can't see the laptop in the workgroup, but can ping it.
>
>The desktop of course lists all of its own shared folders under the
>workgroup name, but not the laptop's.
>
>The laptop lists all of its own share folders under the workgroup name but
>not the desktop's
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks!
>
>JR

The tech at the grad school may have set your NodeType to 2 or the
network at the school may have set a DHCPNodeType of 2. If the NodeType
is 2, your system is trying to resolve addresses by querying the lan's
WINS server. If your system has no WINS (or SAMBA) server, as few home
networks do, your computer cannot find other computers.

I keep my NodeType set to 8.

Go here: http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/69/01/9.html . Near the
bottom of the page is an explanation of the NodeType parameter and where
it is set in the registry.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
September 7, 2004 2:17:14 AM

"Spassvogel" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in

> I have a wireless router, my desktop is plugged straight into it, and
> my laptop has the wireless card. Before I went wireless, I had
> networked them using a firewire and had created a firewire network
> that worked fine. When I went wireless, I found that all of those
> networking settings worked fine over the wireless, I didn't have to
> change anything.
>
> But.
>
> When I was attending grad-school, the tech took our laptops so we
> could access the school's massively encrypted wireless internet. When
> I got home, blamo, I could no longer share files.
>
> I can ping each computer with the other.
> The laptop actually sees the desktop in the workgroup, but you can't
> expand it and see the shared folders.
> The desktop can't see the laptop in the workgroup, but can ping it.
>
> The desktop of course lists all of its own shared folders under the
> workgroup name, but not the laptop's.
>
> The laptop lists all of its own share folders under the workgroup name
> but not the desktop's
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> JR

You sure the laptop is in the same Workgroup as the desktop? I just use
TCP/IP, MS Client and MS File a Print Share on the NIC and that allows me
to access wired and wireless machines on the network.

Duane :)
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
September 7, 2004 3:34:07 AM

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:10:54 -0700, "Spassvogel" <nospam@nospam.org>
wrote:

>I have a wireless router, my desktop is plugged straight into it, and my
>laptop has the wireless card. Before I went wireless, I had networked them
>using a firewire and had created a firewire network that worked fine. When
>I went wireless, I found that all of those networking settings worked fine
>over the wireless, I didn't have to change anything.

Yep. Just a minor explanation. The hardware runs on IP layers 1 and
2. That can be ethernet, wireless, firewire, USB, IRDA, or just about
any transport mechanism. TCP/IP sits on layer 3 and is indpendent of
the communications medium. NETBIOS over TCP is what Microsloth uses
for its networking protocol.

>When I was attending grad-school, the tech took our laptops so we could
>access the school's massively encrypted wireless internet. When I got home,
>blamo, I could no longer share files.

Oops. Did they add any software such as a proxy server, kerberos
authentication module, or VPN client?

>I can ping each computer with the other.

I'll assume Windoze XP Home since you didn't bother to disclose
anything about your hardware and software. You'll find you get better
answers and less irate answerers if you supply such details.

>The laptop actually sees the desktop in the workgroup, but you can't expand
>it and see the shared folders.
>The desktop can't see the laptop in the workgroup, but can ping it.
>
>The desktop of course lists all of its own shared folders under the
>workgroup name, but not the laptop's.

Sounds like you're on two different workgroups. Right click on "My
Computah" on your desktop, select "Properties" and "System Name".
Make sure the workgroup name is the same on both machines.

>The laptop lists all of its own share folders under the workgroup name but
>not the desktop's

Well, one misfeature of Windoze is the 12 minute delay between master
browser updates. You can bypass this "network neighborhood" delay
with the following incantations. Try:
Run -> \\192.168.1.123
where the IP address is that of the other machine. Try it from both
machines. You should see a window with all the available shares. You
can also do it more properly with the NETBIOS names:
Run -> \\Netbios_name
To get a list of names, run:
cmd
net view

If you can now see shared folders, but get a password error when you
try to open them, you have several options. You can trash your
security by enabling the guest account. Or, you can setup identical
user/password pairs of accounts on both machines.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
September 7, 2004 5:08:15 PM

> If you can now see shared folders, but get a password error when you
> try to open them, you have several options. You can trash your
> security by enabling the guest account. Or, you can setup identical
> user/password pairs of accounts on both machines.

Yes, it's XP Home...and there is a guest account enabled on both machines,
the workgroup is exactly the same, and as I mentioned (I think) one of the
computers, the laptop, can see the desktop on the workgroup, but just none
of the shared folders. However, the desktop can't seen the laptop on the
same workgroup!

I'll try changing the node type...weeeeeee.

JR
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
September 8, 2004 1:58:30 AM

Spassvogel wrote:

> "Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
>>>
>> If you can now see shared folders, but get a password error when you
>> try to open them, you have several options. You can trash your
>> security by enabling the guest account. Or, you can setup identical
>> user/password pairs of accounts on both machines.
>
> Yes, it's XP Home...and there is a guest account enabled on both machines,
> the workgroup is exactly the same, and as I mentioned (I think) one of the
> computers, the laptop, can see the desktop on the workgroup, but just none
> of the shared folders. However, the desktop can't seen the laptop on the
> same workgroup!
>
> I'll try changing the node type...weeeeeee.
>
> JR

I'll repeat it to you again. If you run with just MS Client, MS File and
Print Share as the services and TCP/IP as the protocol --- no NETBeui or no
Netbios on the NIC(s), then you'll be able to share resources between the
machines wired and wireless with no problems. It's either that or use
NWlink as the protocol on the NIC(s) - no Netbeui or NetBios and the
protocol will allow resources to be shared between the wired and wireless
machines on XP with no problems.

<http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...;

You may want to do a little bit to secure the XP O/S.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

Duane :)
!