how to delete previous searched files or folders

Hi there, I do a search from Start>search>for files or folders. If I have
done a search for a particular file name and if I have searched for that file
that previously have been searched and if I type the file name it pops up
automatically by only typing the first alphabet. I do not want other users to
see wht files I've previously searched for. Please help how to clear the
search query that comes in the drop down menu.
--
purvi

Hey,
You can disable Auto Complete by just clicking on Change Preferences. You
will see this below the list of options "Pictures, music and video..."

The preferences will have "Turn AutoComplete Off" - its the last option.
CLick on that.

You can also clear the Search history from the Registry. If you really want
to. Depends how desperately you want to remove the Search History.
Visit this link for screenshots, if you like:
http://www.winxptutor.com/searchac.htm

~A

"Purvi" wrote:

> Hi there, I do a search from Start>search>for files or folders. If I have
> done a search for a particular file name and if I have searched for that file
> that previously have been searched and if I type the file name it pops up
> automatically by only typing the first alphabet. I do not want other users to
> see wht files I've previously searched for. Please help how to clear the
> search query that comes in the drop down menu.
> --
> purvi

Clear IE History, AutoComplete, Clear the TIF, Clear the Run MRU, Typed
URL's
and Clear List:

XP Start Menu:
Right click the Start button | Properties | Customize button | Advanced tab
| Recent Documents | Clear List.

Classic Start Menu:
Right click the Start button | Properties | Customize button | Clear button

Clear button
[[Removes the list of recently accessed documents, programs, and Web sites
from the Documents menu.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:CD366C36-67C5-4C38-89D0-DB2B70D9A265@microsoft.com,
Purvi <Purvi@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi there, I do a search from Start>search>for files or folders. If I
> have done a search for a particular file name and if I have searched
> for that file that previously have been searched and if I type the
> file name it pops up automatically by only typing the first alphabet.
> I do not want other users to see wht files I've previously searched
> for. Please help how to clear the search query that comes in the drop
> down menu. --
> purvi

Thank you so much Aristarkhos and Wesley Vogel. It worked me. :)

"Aristarkhos" wrote:

> Hey,
> You can disable Auto Complete by just clicking on Change Preferences. You
> will see this below the list of options "Pictures, music and video..."
>
> The preferences will have "Turn AutoComplete Off" - its the last option.
> CLick on that.
>
> You can also clear the Search history from the Registry. If you really want
> to. Depends how desperately you want to remove the Search History.
> Visit this link for screenshots, if you like:
> http://www.winxptutor.com/searchac.htm
>
> ~A
>
> "Purvi" wrote:
>
> > Hi there, I do a search from Start>search>for files or folders. If I have
> > done a search for a particular file name and if I have searched for that file
> > that previously have been searched and if I type the file name it pops up
> > automatically by only typing the first alphabet. I do not want other users to
> > see wht files I've previously searched for. Please help how to clear the
> > search query that comes in the drop down menu.
> > --
> > purvi

Hi Purvi,
Glad we could be of help.