Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just ordered an AMD Barton XP 2500 333FSB from Newegg.com for $97. Will need new MB and Memory. Have always used AMD 761 chipset for AMD CPUs. Want Reliability and Stability first. Will probably use Corsair Memory (XMS as per MB specs). Need opinions from experience tween the Nvidia and VIA chipsets as used on these boards. Will probably go with the cheapest, non-delux boards.
Thanks,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Don't start asking question without reading some articles and posts first.

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

endyen

Splendid
The Athlon has been around so long that stability is not really an issue any more. That said, the nforce board gave me a 25% bandwidth boost in ram @ 166mhz fsb over the A7V333 board. Be aware though that the non deluxe does not have soundstorm, and while the onboard sound is still quite ok, the deluxe version sound is as good or better than any add on card available. Enjoy.

Hey TKH are you mad at take out. Are you more into drivethru or eat in.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by endyen on 05/25/03 08:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the civil reply. I am quite familiar with the Athlon itself, my question is about the chipsets. Your info is the stuff I am looking for. The soundstorm has a few detractors at other places on the web, could be due to inexperience with the operation of the hardware.
PS: Next time you get food at McDs or KFC, check the reciept carefully, my take is on the bill.
Thanks Much,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Take_Out on 05/25/03 07:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't tell me what to post. I am extremely well read on computers. I was asking for first hand experiences with the two chipsets. I have read in other places of problems with each. I have built about 25 computers for myself and friends and read about 1-2 hours a day on innovations in the field. I didn't say I didn't know anything about the subject. You assume a simple question means ignorance?
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
First of all buy a nForce2 based mobo. A7V8X is not a nForce2, so it's out of consideration.

Then pick the best nForce2 mobo. MSI K72 Delta-L is better than ASUS A7N8X. Faster and has less problems compared to ASUS

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for reply. Was aware A7V8X was VIA, not NVidia. Am comparing the two, using personal first hand experiences like yours. Have not been considering the MSI, till now.
Will check it out, am impressed if it indeed does have liss probs than ASUS, which I run a lot of with AMD chipsets (761 style), but reading about so many probs with ASUS newer boards, am uncertain whether to do with inexperience or board faults of complainers. I will read some MSI reviews.
The reason I am considering the VIA chipset, is that I like stuff nice and simple, and the NVidia chipset has a lot of trickey memory problems with the dual channel setup. Apparently tho, if you use the reccomended Corsair model you don't have as many probs.
Thanks again,
Take-Out

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
What's the problem with 2700+ and nForce2? THG always use AXP 2700+ with nForce2 for benchmarking grafix cards

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Pardon me but if don't use 2700+ what should we use? the 3200+? or should I say "3200-" :)

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

stealth_blade

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2003
lol, 3200-, thats perfect for it, they shouldve called it the 3010, and even that would have been stretching it

but i think he might have meant pc2700 DDR, not the XP 2700+

"Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion."
- Gen. (Ret) Norman Schwartzkopf

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Intriguing, why not, as ASUS website recommends several 2700 bandwidth (333Mb/s) memory sticks. Is there some NO-NO I am not aware of. I have seen testimonials that say no problems, using some 333 memory. I also thought that running at synchronized speeds (333fsb 333membus) is advantageous to good performance. Please enlighten me.
thanks,
Take-Out

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Although I don't disagree with people recommending Nforce2 chipsets to you (they are the fastest) I would strongly urge you go go for a KT400 instead. I have recently seen my mate upgrade to a Leadtek Nforce2 board and he still can't get it working properly (he is a system administrator by the way) and you can forget Windows 98 support.

Don't forget that in September AMD will be moving to a totally different socket type so the curret 3200+ will be the last chip that your new board will take. So why spend loads now for a board that will be outdated in a few months. OK the Nforce2 does support 400FSB now but that means more expensive memory and CPU as well.

Honestly it is not a good time to buy at the moment. Gone are the days when your Mobo would last for several CPU upgrades.

To summarise:
Nforce2 +ve stuff: fastest chipset, great onboard sound, FSB400 support.
Nforce2 -ve stuff: Poor drivers esp. IDE (Win98 + XP), very poor memory compatibility, expensive based on current lifecycle.
KT400 +ve stuff: Rock solid and reliable, takes up to 3000+, cheaper, more variety of manufacturers to choose from. Very mature drivers
KT400 -ve stuff: Marginally slower than Nforce2 in real world apps, no FSB400 support, only mediocre onboard sound.

Obviously if you have infinite cash then you will always buy the latest and greatest but I think it would be prudent to wait for AMD64 - even if it turns out that an Intel chip would be better at the time.

4.77MHz to 4.0GHz in 10 years. Imagine the space year 2020 :)

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
Hi!

Well, I think that either board will be fine since you don't seem to plan any overclocking, not with your priority. Also I think that the posting about not to get PC2700 memory is based on thoughts about fsb overclocking.

GL

Turk

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
THANK YOU, david_T, apparently you can read my mind, as this is exactly what I needed to know. And what I had suspected from other forums and this. I need and want a motherboard that is minimum hassle. I suspected the ASUS A7V8X was the board for me, but I was swayed by people putting it down, and suggesting the A7N8X instead. I don't care about 5-15% performance difference, I can make that up in tweaks.
I just recieved today my brand new AMD Barton 2500+XP 33mhz FSB CPU and can get the A7V8X at Newegg.com for about $60 or less, as I will be doing here in a minute. I generally stay behind the curve on everything except the video card, as my main function on the Puter is to play FPS games.
This is also good news as I recommended the A7V8X to a friend 5 months ago and we will be assembling the puter in a week or so (he takes a LONG time to do stuff like this).
I will be looking to buy the 64 in about 5 months.
My CPU retail boxed was $103 shipped from newegg, my MB will be about $60, my memory will be about $100. Not bad for a nice upgrade. Keeping my IBM 60Gb pre-problem HD, and my Antec 1240 tower and my 19" Sylvania monitor ($180 Costco). And keeping my Lite-On 52x24x52 burner ($49 Newegg)and my WinXP home full edition ($93 Newegg).
If this works out good like I am sure it will, I will problably build 2 or 3 alike for my kids to game on too.
Thanks Very Much,
Take-Out

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks buddy, I am going to get the Via chipset A7V8X, and maybe a LITTLE ocing, tho if I encounter any instability, back it goes. Can't figure out what the 2700 message means, so I just won't pay $2700 for one.
Thanks again,
Take-Out

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
UPDATED 6/9/03- Well, I got the A7V8X w/GbLan, Barton 2.5Ghz 333fsb, Corsair XMS 3200CL2 512Meg. Assembled and ran yesterday. GREAT. Was able to take out a P4 1.5 and ASUS P4S333 (SIS645) with Corsair PC2400 mem, and put the new in, and boot with WinXP (was before,too) CD, go into install and use the repair function to save all my old settings and files.
I went from 2001 Marks of 7747 to 10777. Some of the game fps ratings were wild high with the new stuff, at least compared to my other computers, looks like CPU REALLY makes a good difference. My video card is a GF4 4200 128meg Leadtek, BTW.
Thanks to all who helped in the decision, I got the stability and speed I was looking for, NOW FOR THE O/Cing, just kidding, tho I may dabble a little.
Take-Out

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Go with the Asus A7n8x .. im assuming by now the newest bios updates and board revisions have cleared away the CPU speed readings.

RIG
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
PC2700 will run better with any barton CPU, since they are 333 MHz CPU's. PC3200 will let you overclock with the A7N8X board.

dinoX aka BlackDog

Prografx

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
I'm Running an A7N8X Delux with 1700+ oc to 2400+ with no problems at all. I highly recomend this board

My CPU is so hot I use it to brew my morning JAVA.