installing xp home

last night i my power supply went out on me after installing a new video
card. i have since replaced the PS. everything seems to be working fine.
BUT i cannot install windows xp home OR pro. i can install 98 with no
problems but when i try to install either of the XPs i get the messege "line
XXXX of the INF file i\i386\txtsetup.sif is invalid. setup cannot continue.
press any key to exit." now i had no trouble like this ever. what can i do
to get xp home installed? thanks

rob

i coudlnt find the edit button if there is one so sorry for double
post..anyway here's an update. i hope someone cann tell me wth is up.

i went into BIOS and lowered my cpus speed. it was not OCed to begin with.
AMD 2600 at 2.1GHZ. i lowered it o 1.6GHZ and now xp is loading. any ideas?

"chicagojedi" wrote:

> last night i my power supply went out on me after installing a new video
> card. i have since replaced the PS. everything seems to be working fine.
> BUT i cannot install windows xp home OR pro. i can install 98 with no
> problems but when i try to install either of the XPs i get the messege "line
> XXXX of the INF file i\i386\txtsetup.sif is invalid. setup cannot continue.
> press any key to exit." now i had no trouble like this ever. what can i do
> to get xp home installed? thanks
>
> rob

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

What actually was on line XXXX of the SIF?

"chicagojedi" <chicagojedi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> last night i my power supply went out on me after installing a new video
> card. i have since replaced the PS. everything seems to be working fine.
> BUT i cannot install windows xp home OR pro. i can install 98 with no
> problems but when i try to install either of the XPs i get the messege
> "line
> XXXX of the INF file i\i386\txtsetup.sif is invalid. setup cannot
> continue.
> press any key to exit." now i had no trouble like this ever. what can i
> do
> to get xp home installed? thanks
>
> rob

XXXX was a different set of numbers each time..as of right now i have
everything loaded and running smoothly with xp home. the only thing is now
when i try to set my cpu to its supposed running speed of 2.1 windows fails
to load. it goes to the balck screen where you can load to safe mode,
previous settings mode, or normal mode. i can get no further no matter which
setting i choose. i am thinking something got fried when the power supply
blew...? any help here would be great as i want to run my cpu at its original
speed. thanks.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:17:04 -0800, chicagojedi wrote:

> i coudlnt find the edit button if there is one so sorry for double
> post..anyway here's an update. i hope someone cann tell me wth is up.
>
> i went into BIOS and lowered my cpus speed. it was not OCed to begin with.
> AMD 2600 at 2.1GHZ. i lowered it o 1.6GHZ and now xp is loading. any ideas?

If FSB is 133 MHz, then using a multiplier of 16 sounds right
(16x133=2133). 12.5 for 166, etc.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User