MF Questions

I'm still relatively new to this whole MF thing, so I have a few questions
for the experts.

* I've been running Hell Mephy, and he has dropped a few nice items, but
what items can he not drop? It seems like a nice safe place to farm, but is
it worth it to bump up the difficulty to have a chance for better items.
Character is a Meteor/Orb Sorc, L85.

* Currently running 415 MF with 75/75/75/66 resists. I could put 2x Ist in
an Ali Baba for a switch when Mephy is down to a sliver. That would give me
560 MF. But my resists (currently using Wizzy) would go to nothing, and 2x
Ist would eat up about all my wealth at this point. I understand there are
diminishing returns on MF, so would this be worth it as far as safety (HC of
course) and item return?

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
8 answers Last reply
More about questions

    Mark wrote:
    > I'm still relatively new to this whole MF thing, so I have a few
    > questions for the experts.
    >
    > * I've been running Hell Mephy, and he has dropped a few nice items,
    > but what items can he not drop? It seems like a nice safe place to
    > farm, but is it worth it to bump up the difficulty to have a chance
    > for better items. Character is a Meteor/Orb Sorc, L85.
    >
    > * Currently running 415 MF with 75/75/75/66 resists. I could put 2x
    > Ist in an Ali Baba for a switch when Mephy is down to a sliver. That
    > would give me 560 MF. But my resists (currently using Wizzy) would go
    > to nothing, and 2x Ist would eat up about all my wealth at this
    > point. I understand there are diminishing returns on MF, so would
    > this be worth it as far as safety (HC of course) and item return?
    >
    > Regards-
    > Mark
    >
    > Bongo-Fury

    Hell Meph can drop most everything except things at the very top of the
    treasure class food chain. He still gives the biggest "bang for the buck"
    of any boss in the game IMO. If you're mf'ing, a routine of Hell Meph,
    Eldritch, Pindle and Pit/Ancient Tunnel runs will give you as good odds of
    garnering just about anything in the game as anything you could do.

    You can't mf if you're dead. If you can figure out some way to keep
    absolutely safe and get your merc to make the kill when you switch, then you
    can get by. But since Meph will eventually nail your ass if you do that,
    keep your 415 mf and those resists

    --
    chainbreaker

    Mark wrote:
    > I'm still relatively new to this whole MF thing, so I have a few questions
    > for the experts.
    >
    > * I've been running Hell Mephy, and he has dropped a few nice items, but
    > what items can he not drop? It seems like a nice safe place to farm, but is
    > it worth it to bump up the difficulty to have a chance for better items.
    > Character is a Meteor/Orb Sorc, L85.

    Hi

    I don think Im an EXPERT but I do like to magic hunt alot so here is
    what I know from reading and what other ppl have told me and from doing
    LOTS of magic hunt runs.

    Meph can drop LOTS of nice stuff but the VERY high level stuff like
    arachnids mesh or tyreals might he cant drop. and it very hard for a
    monster to drop at the very very high end of his drop level ur mf wont
    make ne difference. Game willd ecide if drop gonna be low or high or in
    middle and most times it in middle then it willd ecide if its like
    gold or green or blue or whatever and thats when ur mf is used. And cuz
    game makes drops in middle more than at high or low bosses with higher
    levels have better chance to drop some stuff that meph can like
    doombringer or arkaines valors type stuff just cuz that is more in
    middle for higher monsters not by lots but still more than meph.

    Thats y my fave place to magic hunt is pit cuz all the bosses there can
    drop everything and even if they dont have as good a chance as mep to
    drop a unique when they do it could be an arachnid mesh or deaths
    fathom and in pit there r LOTS more bosses so it like 7 or 8 kinda good
    chances for something nice and meph just like 1 pretty goo good chance.
    And sometimes with magic hunting it better to have LOTS of kinda good
    chances than just a couple of pretty good 1s.

    > * Currently running 415 MF with 75/75/75/66 resists. I could put 2x Ist in
    > an Ali Baba for a switch when Mephy is down to a sliver. That would give me
    > 560 MF. But my resists (currently using Wizzy) would go to nothing, and 2x
    > Ist would eat up about all my wealth at this point. I understand there are
    > diminishing returns on MF, so would this be worth it as far as safety (HC of
    > course) and item return?
    >
    > Regards-
    > Mark

    Well just switching at last second to ali baba with no ists in it would
    make ur mf 500 and higher as u got more levels so I wouldnt trade all
    your stuff for 2 ists to put in it. 560 over 500 wont make THAT huge of
    a difference I dont think. And if u have over 400 with ur resist all
    maxed and good fighting gear on to that can kill faster and be more
    safe I think that would be best way to do it. Specially if it faster.
    if u need to slow down and be more careful with 560 or chances of dying
    in hc go way up that it start taking to much longer to do a run then it
    definitely not worth it. Like I think if some1 can do meph 2 or 3 times
    with 300 or 400 mf in time it takes to do 1 with 560 on then person
    with 300 will end up seeing more nice stuff.

    I hope that helps :)

    Kaytie

    Mark wrote:
    > I'm still relatively new to this whole MF thing, so I have a few questions
    > for the experts.
    >
    > * I've been running Hell Mephy, and he has dropped a few nice items, but
    > what items can he not drop? It seems like a nice safe place to farm, but is
    > it worth it to bump up the difficulty to have a chance for better items.
    > Character is a Meteor/Orb Sorc, L85.
    >
    > * Currently running 415 MF with 75/75/75/66 resists. I could put 2x Ist in
    > an Ali Baba for a switch when Mephy is down to a sliver. That would give me
    > 560 MF. But my resists (currently using Wizzy) would go to nothing, and 2x
    > Ist would eat up about all my wealth at this point. I understand there are
    > diminishing returns on MF, so would this be worth it as far as safety (HC of
    > course) and item return?

    His Mephyness can drop all items except for the few TC87 items, such as
    Tyrael's might, Arachnid's Mesh and the like. For those, you do better
    MFing in the Pit or the Ancient Tunnels. A warning here, the latter can
    be VERY dangerous, as you get boss mummy packs that seem to ALWAYS be
    FE, and that usually ends up in deeds.

    Mickey

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 13:57:10 GMT, "Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net>
    wrote:

    >I'm still relatively new to this whole MF thing, so I have a few questions
    >for the experts.

    Not really an expert, but I have been into the whole MF thing
    lately...

    >* I've been running Hell Mephy, and he has dropped a few nice items, but
    >what items can he not drop? It seems like a nice safe place to farm, but is
    >it worth it to bump up the difficulty to have a chance for better items.
    >Character is a Meteor/Orb Sorc, L85.

    Hell Meph drops all but some of the very highest items in the game. I
    would recommend checking out http://www.d2data.net for some good info
    on what can drop from whom.

    Also, I have found the resource:

    http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/dropcalc/dropcalc.php?lang=en&patch=110&mode=closed&interface=default&window=true

    very nice as well.

    For example, you can list all the uniques that Hell Meph drops.

    >* Currently running 415 MF with 75/75/75/66 resists. I could put 2x Ist in
    >an Ali Baba for a switch when Mephy is down to a sliver. That would give me
    >560 MF. But my resists (currently using Wizzy) would go to nothing, and 2x
    >Ist would eat up about all my wealth at this point. I understand there are
    >diminishing returns on MF, so would this be worth it as far as safety (HC of
    >course) and item return?

    You're brave to go HC on Meph with those damn Stygian Dolls all over
    the place! :-p

    The difference between +415% MF and +560% MF is not too much,
    especially when it comes to finding Unique or Set items.

    In HC, safety is always the #1 priority (so I hear), so I'd say it
    wouldn't really make the much a difference.

    >Regards-
    >Mark
    >
    >Bongo-Fury

    You can get many good drops from Hell Meph (I got a SS just the other
    day as well as a Rainbow Facet). For the best items, I would
    recommend hunting in The Pit (KaytieKat is making me a believer). The
    boss drops are not as good Hell Meph quantity-wise, but the quality
    can be amazing (best so far for me is an Ormus Robe, which admittedly,
    Hell Meph can drop...).

    - Samiel
    (hunting like crazy)

    Mark wrote:
    > "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > His Mephyness can drop all items except for the few TC87 items, such as
    > > Tyrael's might, Arachnid's Mesh and the like. For those, you do better
    > > MFing in the Pit or the Ancient Tunnels. A warning here, the latter can
    > > be VERY dangerous, as you get boss mummy packs that seem to ALWAYS be
    > > FE, and that usually ends up in deeds.
    >
    > I'm not fond of 'The Pit', I've walked into a few stair traps there with
    > nasty archers waiting for you while the game loads. Lost a couple characters
    > that way, so now I'm a little paranoid. Besides, I can find my way to Mephy,
    > kill him and sell the loot in about 5 minutes a shot. Even with taking the
    > time to bring a looter in on the second machine. Not great by the standards
    > of REAL MFers, but pretty good for me.

    True. The pit is safest for a necromancer. I usually stock up on
    skeletons and revives on the way there, so stair traps are far less
    likely to affect me. The best part about MFing the pit is that you gain
    really nice XP en passant.

    "Samiel" <samiel@samiel.com> wrote in message

    > You're brave to go HC on Meph with those damn Stygian Dolls all over
    > the place! :-p

    The dolls are no problem. I teleport around till I find the stairs down. And
    most times I'm gone before they react to me. My merc only has an Insight
    Halberd, so he can't kill them in one hit, so that's not a problem. The only
    scary time is when you hit a mana burn pack, and even then the Insight gives
    me enough Mana to port away almost instantly.

    Regards-
    Mark

    Bongo-Fury

    Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net>, supreme
    ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

    >His Mephyness can drop all items except for the few TC87 items, such as
    >Tyrael's might, Arachnid's Mesh and the like. For those, you do better
    >MFing in the Pit or the Ancient Tunnels. A warning here, the latter can
    >be VERY dangerous, as you get boss mummy packs that seem to ALWAYS be
    >FE, and that usually ends up in deeds.

    I think you'll find that Mephisto can indeed drop Arachnid's Mesh, because of
    his level (it's a TC63 item, but level 87, which is why Pindleskin can't drop
    it). However, TC81 and 84 items are out of his range, too, in addition to
    TC87 (he can drop up to TC78, but is a level 87 creature).

    --
    If in doubt, hit with axe.

Video Games