MF Questions

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 30, 2005 5:57:10 PM

I'm still relatively new to this whole MF thing, so I have a few questions
for the experts.

* I've been running Hell Mephy, and he has dropped a few nice items, but
what items can he not drop? It seems like a nice safe place to farm, but is
it worth it to bump up the difficulty to have a chance for better items.
Character is a Meteor/Orb Sorc, L85.

* Currently running 415 MF with 75/75/75/66 resists. I could put 2x Ist in
an Ali Baba for a switch when Mephy is down to a sliver. That would give me
560 MF. But my resists (currently using Wizzy) would go to nothing, and 2x
Ist would eat up about all my wealth at this point. I understand there are
diminishing returns on MF, so would this be worth it as far as safety (HC of
course) and item return?

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury

More about : questions

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 5:57:11 PM

Mark wrote:
> I'm still relatively new to this whole MF thing, so I have a few
> questions for the experts.
>
> * I've been running Hell Mephy, and he has dropped a few nice items,
> but what items can he not drop? It seems like a nice safe place to
> farm, but is it worth it to bump up the difficulty to have a chance
> for better items. Character is a Meteor/Orb Sorc, L85.
>
> * Currently running 415 MF with 75/75/75/66 resists. I could put 2x
> Ist in an Ali Baba for a switch when Mephy is down to a sliver. That
> would give me 560 MF. But my resists (currently using Wizzy) would go
> to nothing, and 2x Ist would eat up about all my wealth at this
> point. I understand there are diminishing returns on MF, so would
> this be worth it as far as safety (HC of course) and item return?
>
> Regards-
> Mark
>
> Bongo-Fury

Hell Meph can drop most everything except things at the very top of the
treasure class food chain. He still gives the biggest "bang for the buck"
of any boss in the game IMO. If you're mf'ing, a routine of Hell Meph,
Eldritch, Pindle and Pit/Ancient Tunnel runs will give you as good odds of
garnering just about anything in the game as anything you could do.

You can't mf if you're dead. If you can figure out some way to keep
absolutely safe and get your merc to make the kill when you switch, then you
can get by. But since Meph will eventually nail your ass if you do that,
keep your 415 mf and those resists

--
chainbreaker
Anonymous

Mark wrote:
> I'm still relatively new to this whole MF thing, so I have a few questions
> for the experts.
>
> * I've been running Hell Mephy, and he has dropped a few nice items, but
> what items can he not drop? It seems like a nice safe place to farm, but is
> it worth it to bump up the difficulty to have a chance for better items.
> Character is a Meteor/Orb Sorc, L85.

Hi

I don think Im an EXPERT but I do like to magic hunt alot so here is
what I know from reading and what other ppl have told me and from doing
LOTS of magic hunt runs.

Meph can drop LOTS of nice stuff but the VERY high level stuff like
arachnids mesh or tyreals might he cant drop. and it very hard for a
monster to drop at the very very high end of his drop level ur mf wont
make ne difference. Game willd ecide if drop gonna be low or high or in
middle and most times it in middle then it willd ecide if its like
gold or green or blue or whatever and thats when ur mf is used. And cuz
game makes drops in middle more than at high or low bosses with higher
levels have better chance to drop some stuff that meph can like
doombringer or arkaines valors type stuff just cuz that is more in
middle for higher monsters not by lots but still more than meph.

Thats y my fave place to magic hunt is pit cuz all the bosses there can
drop everything and even if they dont have as good a chance as mep to
drop a unique when they do it could be an arachnid mesh or deaths
fathom and in pit there r LOTS more bosses so it like 7 or 8 kinda good
chances for something nice and meph just like 1 pretty goo good chance.
And sometimes with magic hunting it better to have LOTS of kinda good
chances than just a couple of pretty good 1s.

> * Currently running 415 MF with 75/75/75/66 resists. I could put 2x Ist in
> an Ali Baba for a switch when Mephy is down to a sliver. That would give me
> 560 MF. But my resists (currently using Wizzy) would go to nothing, and 2x
> Ist would eat up about all my wealth at this point. I understand there are
> diminishing returns on MF, so would this be worth it as far as safety (HC of
> course) and item return?
>
> Regards-
> Mark

Well just switching at last second to ali baba with no ists in it would
make ur mf 500 and higher as u got more levels so I wouldnt trade all
your stuff for 2 ists to put in it. 560 over 500 wont make THAT huge of
a difference I dont think. And if u have over 400 with ur resist all
maxed and good fighting gear on to that can kill faster and be more
safe I think that would be best way to do it. Specially if it faster.
if u need to slow down and be more careful with 560 or chances of dying
in hc go way up that it start taking to much longer to do a run then it
definitely not worth it. Like I think if some1 can do meph 2 or 3 times
with 300 or 400 mf in time it takes to do 1 with 560 on then person
with 300 will end up seeing more nice stuff.

I hope that helps :)

Kaytie
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 1:06:30 PM

Mark wrote:
> I'm still relatively new to this whole MF thing, so I have a few questions
> for the experts.
>
> * I've been running Hell Mephy, and he has dropped a few nice items, but
> what items can he not drop? It seems like a nice safe place to farm, but is
> it worth it to bump up the difficulty to have a chance for better items.
> Character is a Meteor/Orb Sorc, L85.
>
> * Currently running 415 MF with 75/75/75/66 resists. I could put 2x Ist in
> an Ali Baba for a switch when Mephy is down to a sliver. That would give me
> 560 MF. But my resists (currently using Wizzy) would go to nothing, and 2x
> Ist would eat up about all my wealth at this point. I understand there are
> diminishing returns on MF, so would this be worth it as far as safety (HC of
> course) and item return?

His Mephyness can drop all items except for the few TC87 items, such as
Tyrael's might, Arachnid's Mesh and the like. For those, you do better
MFing in the Pit or the Ancient Tunnels. A warning here, the latter can
be VERY dangerous, as you get boss mummy packs that seem to ALWAYS be
FE, and that usually ends up in deeds.

Mickey
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 10:29:27 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 13:57:10 GMT, "Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net>
wrote:

>I'm still relatively new to this whole MF thing, so I have a few questions
>for the experts.

Not really an expert, but I have been into the whole MF thing
lately...

>* I've been running Hell Mephy, and he has dropped a few nice items, but
>what items can he not drop? It seems like a nice safe place to farm, but is
>it worth it to bump up the difficulty to have a chance for better items.
>Character is a Meteor/Orb Sorc, L85.

Hell Meph drops all but some of the very highest items in the game. I
would recommend checking out http://www.d2data.net for some good info
on what can drop from whom.

Also, I have found the resource:

http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/dropcalc/dropcalc.p...

very nice as well.

For example, you can list all the uniques that Hell Meph drops.

>* Currently running 415 MF with 75/75/75/66 resists. I could put 2x Ist in
>an Ali Baba for a switch when Mephy is down to a sliver. That would give me
>560 MF. But my resists (currently using Wizzy) would go to nothing, and 2x
>Ist would eat up about all my wealth at this point. I understand there are
>diminishing returns on MF, so would this be worth it as far as safety (HC of
>course) and item return?

You're brave to go HC on Meph with those damn Stygian Dolls all over
the place! :-p

The difference between +415% MF and +560% MF is not too much,
especially when it comes to finding Unique or Set items.

In HC, safety is always the #1 priority (so I hear), so I'd say it
wouldn't really make the much a difference.

>Regards-
>Mark
>
>Bongo-Fury

You can get many good drops from Hell Meph (I got a SS just the other
day as well as a Rainbow Facet). For the best items, I would
recommend hunting in The Pit (KaytieKat is making me a believer). The
boss drops are not as good Hell Meph quantity-wise, but the quality
can be amazing (best so far for me is an Ormus Robe, which admittedly,
Hell Meph can drop...).

- Samiel
(hunting like crazy)
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:47:56 PM

Mark wrote:
> "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > His Mephyness can drop all items except for the few TC87 items, such as
> > Tyrael's might, Arachnid's Mesh and the like. For those, you do better
> > MFing in the Pit or the Ancient Tunnels. A warning here, the latter can
> > be VERY dangerous, as you get boss mummy packs that seem to ALWAYS be
> > FE, and that usually ends up in deeds.
>
> I'm not fond of 'The Pit', I've walked into a few stair traps there with
> nasty archers waiting for you while the game loads. Lost a couple characters
> that way, so now I'm a little paranoid. Besides, I can find my way to Mephy,
> kill him and sell the loot in about 5 minutes a shot. Even with taking the
> time to bring a looter in on the second machine. Not great by the standards
> of REAL MFers, but pretty good for me.

True. The pit is safest for a necromancer. I usually stock up on
skeletons and revives on the way there, so stair traps are far less
likely to affect me. The best part about MFing the pit is that you gain
really nice XP en passant.
June 1, 2005 5:16:23 PM

"Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message

> His Mephyness can drop all items except for the few TC87 items, such as
> Tyrael's might, Arachnid's Mesh and the like. For those, you do better
> MFing in the Pit or the Ancient Tunnels. A warning here, the latter can
> be VERY dangerous, as you get boss mummy packs that seem to ALWAYS be
> FE, and that usually ends up in deeds.

I'm not fond of 'The Pit', I've walked into a few stair traps there with
nasty archers waiting for you while the game loads. Lost a couple characters
that way, so now I'm a little paranoid. Besides, I can find my way to Mephy,
kill him and sell the loot in about 5 minutes a shot. Even with taking the
time to bring a looter in on the second machine. Not great by the standards
of REAL MFers, but pretty good for me.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
June 1, 2005 5:26:47 PM

"Samiel" <samiel@samiel.com> wrote in message

> You're brave to go HC on Meph with those damn Stygian Dolls all over
> the place! :-p

The dolls are no problem. I teleport around till I find the stairs down. And
most times I'm gone before they react to me. My merc only has an Insight
Halberd, so he can't kill them in one hit, so that's not a problem. The only
scary time is when you hit a mana burn pack, and even then the Insight gives
me enough Mana to port away almost instantly.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 3:02:09 PM

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net>, supreme
ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>His Mephyness can drop all items except for the few TC87 items, such as
>Tyrael's might, Arachnid's Mesh and the like. For those, you do better
>MFing in the Pit or the Ancient Tunnels. A warning here, the latter can
>be VERY dangerous, as you get boss mummy packs that seem to ALWAYS be
>FE, and that usually ends up in deeds.

I think you'll find that Mephisto can indeed drop Arachnid's Mesh, because of
his level (it's a TC63 item, but level 87, which is why Pindleskin can't drop
it). However, TC81 and 84 items are out of his range, too, in addition to
TC87 (he can drop up to TC78, but is a level 87 creature).

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.
!