Policy on Service Contract and customer owned equipment.

Hi,

I'm in the Northern-NJ Metro area, and I'm curious about service
agreements. I know at one time, if you activated your own equipment
you were not bound by an annual service agreement. However, I have
reason to suspect that this may have changed? Does anyone know if a
service contract is required when activating your own wireless device?
If I want to activate a phone which I purchased from ebay or other
source, will verizon require me to commit to a one year contract? I
do not want to bind myself to any service agreement. I don't see why I
should have to, especially when I'm not purchasing any equipment from
them.

I'd be interested to hear any feedback someone may have regarding this
issue.

Thanks,

---Andy

Andy Malato wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the Northern-NJ Metro area, and I'm curious about service
> agreements. I know at one time, if you activated your own equipment
> you were not bound by an annual service agreement. However, I have
> reason to suspect that this may have changed? Does anyone know if a
> service contract is required when activating your own wireless device?
> If I want to activate a phone which I purchased from ebay or other
> source, will verizon require me to commit to a one year contract? I
> do not want to bind myself to any service agreement. I don't see why I
> should have to, especially when I'm not purchasing any equipment from
> them.
>
> I'd be interested to hear any feedback someone may have regarding this
> issue.
>

> Thanks,
>
> ---Andy

It is also a matter of credit guarantees. The contract provides Vz with
some rights for securing the account for non-payment. Otherwise, you
would traditionally be required to post a security bond for perhaps
three months' estimated usage, refundable after one year. Note that I
do not know if Vz actually would do this. Talk to customer service.