the problem i have with these new motherboards!!!!

These new boards SUCK!

What sucks about the new chipsets from intel is that there is not ONE motherboard that looks remotely decent. Every board doesn't even make use to intels CSA bus. On top of that there is not one person here that even has a serial ATA drive. If you do i'm sure the rest of us would like to know where you bought it and how much you paid. So it is stupid to not have any IDE RAID controllers along with IDE controllers like normal. If you do include Serial ATA RAID and non-raid - how about include some necessary cables?

There might be one motherboard that includes the proper power cables for serial ata. This is mind boggling. Not one power supply has Serial ATA power cables. It makes sense for EVERY motherboard to include serial ata power cables if you include serial ata. This should be standard!

another thing that urks me is that there is only one motherboard that includes a "IDE to Serial ata" adapter. Why one? Obviusly you need two if you want to use RAID. It should be standard to include at least one adapter on every single motherboard that includes serial ata. To include 2 adapters should be considered a bonus for people who want to setup raid.

I think the direction the motherboard makes are making are the wrong ones.

They should keep the IDE and RAID controller as normal and add the serial ata as a bonus (ultra vs non-ultra or delux vs non-delux) and the added serial ata should include the proper serial ata power adapers and at least one ide to serial ata adapter.

every board i've seen sucks!

"Bread makes me poop!" - Special Ed

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

FallOutBoyTonto

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
So it is stupid to not have any IDE RAID controllers along with IDE controllers like normal. If you do include Serial ATA RAID and non-raid - how about include some necessary cables?
This is one thing I agree on, just about everyone claims to support SATA but don't include any cables (you call that 'support', I don't think so!).

Not one power supply has Serial ATA power cables. It makes sense for EVERY motherboard to include serial ata power cables if you include serial ata. This should be standard!
That may be because most of the new SATA drives don't even use the new standard for power cables, they include the regular molex connector as a power source.

there is only one motherboard that includes a "IDE to Serial ata" adapter. Why one? Obviusly you need two if you want to use RAID. It should be standard to include at least one adapter on every single motherboard that includes serial ata.
IMO mobo makers include only one (if any) adapters because they may want to save a few bucks. Or maybe they want to encourage you to get 'native' SATA for more performance. But thats a bunch of crap too since the SATA drives use a bridge to change the interface from IDE to SATA. I have yet to see or even hear about a 'native' SATA drive.

Let them know how you feel about it. Send e-mails, make phone calls, tell others to do the same. They won't change unless we tell them to.

They should keep the IDE and RAID controller as normal and add the serial ata as a bonus (ultra vs non-ultra or delux vs non-delux) and the added serial ata should include the proper serial ata power adapers and at least one ide to serial ata adapter.
Good idea! Unfortunately the RAID option is only available with SATA because its built into the SATA controllers, mobo makers would need to add another RAID controller if they want IDE RAID (I'm pretty sure on that, but I could be wrong). That would make the non-dlx version more expensive which is one thing they are trying to avoid.

lfe01

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
www.newegg.com has Seagate Serial ATA hard drives for sale in the 80 and 160GIG flavors. Hasn't done me much good yet, I can't get the system working. WinXP won't finish installing and computer keeps switching to a blue screen and says:

"Windows has stopped loading to prevent damage to your computer" (or something to that effect).

I'm going to continue looking down through the forum with the hopes that someone else has found and fixed this problem.

Lonnie

dude that sucks!

i'm gonna guess bad hardware. i doubt it's the hard drive. I guess the best way to find out is to find normal IDE drives and try to load the same windows on there and see if yo uget the same error.

try that out alright! hope you get it fixed!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
These new boards SUCK!

What sucks about the new chipsets from intel is that there is not ONE motherboard that looks remotely decent.
I think my Gigabyte 8KNXP non-Ultra looks great! <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-128-185-05.JPG/13-128-185-06.JPG/13-128-185-04.JPG/13-128-185-02.JPG/13-128-185-03.jpg/13-128-185-07.JPG" target="_new">Picture</A>

On top of that there is not one person here that even has a serial ATA drive. If you do i'm sure the rest of us would like to know where you bought it and how much you paid. So it is stupid to not have any IDE RAID controllers along with IDE controllers like normal. If you do include Serial ATA RAID and non-raid - how about include some necessary cables?
I have two Seagate 120 GIG Barracudas that I run on the Intel integrated RAID 0...bought them at newegg.com for $128 each...My 8KNXP also has a GigaRAID PATA controller for regular IDE drives. And the necessary cables came with the motherboard...

There might be one motherboard that includes the proper power cables for serial ata. This is mind boggling. Not one power supply has Serial ATA power cables. It makes sense for EVERY motherboard to include serial ata power cables if you include serial ata. This should be standard!

It also makes sense for Seagate to include them with the actual hard drives, but they don't! Why? They did come with the 8KNXP though (though I confess, they were incorrect and I had to go buy different ones at Fry's.)

another thing that urks me is that there is only one motherboard that includes a "IDE to Serial ata" adapter. Why one? Obviusly you need two if you want to use RAID. It should be standard to include at least one adapter on every single motherboard that includes serial ata. To include 2 adapters should be considered a bonus for people who want to setup raid.
This I agree with, actually. They're obviously trying to shove SATA down everyone's throat, but making it a pain to utilize SATA controllers...

As I said, I think they are focusing too heavily on SATA. I think Intel and the mobo manufacturers anticipated much higher availability than what's been out there. And some of the blame goes to Maxtor, IMHO. They paper released their SATA drive weeks ago, but I have yet to see one anywhere for purchase.

every board i've seen sucks!
Well, I guess that depends on your definition of "sucks." It sounds to me like you're mostly disappointed with Intel's sudden fixation on SATA without adequate support/hardware to actually utilize the features. I can't really argue against that, except to say that my 8KNXP has been running for what--three weeks now? And it's uber-fast and stable with not one hiccup so far (except when I was overclocking...but that's to be expected.)

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Twitch on 05/28/03 02:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

i said boards not chipsets. huge difference.

"I think my Gigabyte 8KNXP non-Ultra looks great!"

ya but for 250 bucks i'll pass thanks!

"I have two Seagate 120 GIG Barracudas that I run on the Intel integrated RAID 0...bought them at newegg.com for $128 each...My 8KNXP also has a GigaRAID PATA controller for regular IDE drives. And the necessary cables came with the motherboard..."

I need PATA IDE RAID 0 as well as normal IDE controller and i need firewire. I also want to use my existing drives.

"As I said, I think they are focusing too heavily on SATA. I think Intel and the mobo manufacturers anticipated much higher availability than what's been out there. And some of the blame goes to Maxtor, IMHO. They paper released their SATA drive weeks ago, but I have yet to see one anywhere for purchase."

this is why all the new boards suck. maybe .0001% of the world population MIGHT have SATA drives. I mentioned what i need and i'm sure there are a lot more people like me that need the samething. But the the motherboard manufacturers made a poor choice in their designs.

"Well, I guess that depends on your definition of "sucks." It sounds to me like you're mostly disappointed with Intel's sudden fixation on SATA without adequate support/hardware to actually utilize the features. I can't really argue against that, except to say that my 8KNXP has been running for what--three weeks now? And it's uber-fast and stable with not one hiccup so far (except when I was overclocking...but that's to be expected.)"

The motherboard you speak of is insanely expensive. i refuse to spend over 200 dollars for a motherboard. thats crazy! I'm dissapointed in the assumption that everyone has SATA drives. It's one thing to include them as an option but it's another thing as you say to "shove them down our throats". If the motherboard manufacturers were smart they would include the normal IDE RAID and the IDE and then include SATA as an option. If you do only include SATA RAID 0 then include the IDE to SATA adapaters and include at least 1 as a standard. Not everyone has 400 dollars to spend every month.

It is these assumptions that are wrong. thats all i'm saying.

and yes i saw that board before that you have mentioned. but it's way to expensive! keep in mind i also have to buy new ram with it.

sturm

Splendid
Just noticed here at work (HP) the new line of HP/Compaq computers have both onboard sata and the power connections. Now if they werent such pieces of [-peep-] would be nice.
also has dual channel 333 ddr memory HOLY SH*T.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sturm on 05/28/03 04:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>