compressed folders/files

i could not figure out how to access the zip utility in xp so i downloaded
'stuffit' and now wish to NOT use stuffit, as they wish me to purchase. i
need to know how to change my 'stuffit' files to regular xp zip files--i
don't know how to do this and cannot lose the files. i know i sound like a
computard, but i need to know how to access the winxp zip utility and change
the default for the files. does this make sense??
thank you so much. i am trying to learn...

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:35:02 -0800, circe801 wrote:

> i could not figure out how to access the zip utility in xp so i downloaded
> 'stuffit' and now wish to NOT use stuffit, as they wish me to purchase. i
> need to know how to change my 'stuffit' files to regular xp zip files--i
> don't know how to do this and cannot lose the files. i know i sound like a
> computard, but i need to know how to access the winxp zip utility and change
> the default for the files. does this make sense??
> thank you so much. i am trying to learn...

Start by uninstalling stuffit. Then at a command prompt, or in the start
run box, execute the following command:

regsvr32.exe zipfldr.dll
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

i did as you said, though for some reason i cannot uninstall 'stuffit 7.0'.
the other one is gone--thanks. now i also ran the dll you suggested and a
box came up and said it was successful. now what???? thanks, tom!!

circe801 wrote:
> i did as you said, though for some reason i cannot uninstall 'stuffit
> 7.0'. the other one is gone--thanks. now i also ran the dll you
> suggested and a box came up and said it was successful. now what????
> thanks, tom!!

Why are you unable to uninstall stuffit? Do you get errors? If so, what
are they?

See if the following articles from the stuffit support site help get you
going:

http://support.allume.com/techsupport/qanda.php?id=606
http://support.allume.com/techsupport/qanda.php?id=609
http://support.allume.com/techsupport/qanda.php?id=378
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

okay, tom--just got home so haven't visited the sites you suggested yet, but
i think i may have tried to remove/uninstall the stuffit 7.0 program a while
ago and that's why i'm getting no response trying to do it now. no errors or
anything, though--just nothing [no success] when i hit 'change/remove'. the
uninstall of 'stuffit standard' [the way larger file] was successful, though.
as far as the winxp zip utility, as i said, i was advised that the 'run dll'
command was successful, but what do i do next in order to access the zip
utility itself??i will try adn improvise and maybe do a run command on the
zip folder itself. is that the proper thing to do?? otherwise, i don't know
how to access it.

thanks again, you're quite helpful to a 'computard'...
allyson [circe801]

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:31:02 -0800, circe801 wrote:

> okay, tom--just got home so haven't visited the sites you suggested yet, but
> i think i may have tried to remove/uninstall the stuffit 7.0 program a while
> ago and that's why i'm getting no response trying to do it now. no errors or
> anything, though--just nothing [no success] when i hit 'change/remove'. the
> uninstall of 'stuffit standard' [the way larger file] was successful, though.
> as far as the winxp zip utility, as i said, i was advised that the 'run dll'
> command was successful, but what do i do next in order to access the zip
> utility itself??i will try adn improvise and maybe do a run command on the
> zip folder itself. is that the proper thing to do?? otherwise, i don't know
> how to access it.
>
> thanks again, you're quite helpful to a 'computard'...

OK, so once you have the associations correct, if you want to send a file
to a zipped folder you right click on the file and select Send
To->Compressed (zipped) Folder. This will create a new zipped folder with
the file in it. The folder will have the same name as the original file.

You can also open explorer, navigate to an existing folder and select
File->New->Compressed (zipped) Folder to create a new zip file. Opening a
compressed folder is the same as opening any other folder, just double
click on it.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

tom, thank you. now i realize that i needn't have posted the last query--i
should have known that. thank you for all of your help--i know i will likely
need it again in the future...

thanks again--
allyson [circe801]