Search for files & folders-HELP

I recently puchased XP pro & cannot use the search for files tool.
When I click, nothing happens.
Any other alternative software to use or a fix would be appreciated.
thanks,Dave
5 answers Last reply
More about search files folders help

    Hi Dave,

    Without knowing more about your system make:

    Why doesn't Search work?

    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Dave" <tarzanREMOVE2005@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I recently puchased XP pro & cannot use the search for files tool.
    > When I click, nothing happens.
    > Any other alternative software to use or a fix would be appreciated.
    > thanks,Dave

    Dave,

    Please open up REGEDIT (under Start > Run). Look up this entry:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFind If "NoFind" has the value "01 00 00 00" change it to "00 00 00 00" and itwill probably solve your problem. You will need to restart ("log off & login" will probably suffice).--Jabez GanGive me a chance, Let me help you!http://www.blizhosting.com"Dave" <tarzanREMOVE2005@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:u09ILn1LFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...>I recently puchased XP pro & cannot use the search for files tool.> When I click, nothing happens.> Any other alternative software to use or a fix would be appreciated.> thanks,Dave>

    I don't have what you suggested...just this
    NoDriveTypeAutoRun 0x00000091 (145)
    "Jabez Gan" <mingteikg@blizNOSPAMhosting.com> wrote in message
    > Dave,
    >
    > Please open up REGEDIT (under Start > Run). Look up this entry:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFind
    > If "NoFind" has the value "01 00 00 00" change it to "00 00 00 00" and
    > itwill probably solve your problem. You will need to restart ("log off &
    > login" will probably suffice).--Jabez GanGive me a chance, Let me help
    > you!http://www.blizhosting.com"Dave" <tarzanREMOVE2005@gmail.com> wrote in
    > messagenews:u09ILn1LFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...>I recently puchased
    > XP pro & cannot use the search for files tool.> When I click, nothing
    > happens.> Any other alternative software to use or a fix would be
    > appreciated.> thanks,Dave>

    Thank you!
    I did the install (from XP cd) as your site suggested and I now
    have"search". I have your site bookmarked.
    Does" oe saves all " work with XP pro? had to use it with Me always.
    thanks again, Dave

    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > Without knowing more about your system make:
    >
    > Why doesn't Search work?
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
    >
    > --
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Dave" <tarzanREMOVE2005@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I recently puchased XP pro & cannot use the search for files tool.
    >> When I click, nothing happens.
    >> Any other alternative software to use or a fix would be appreciated.
    >> thanks,Dave

    Most welcome, Dave. Glad you have it sorted and thanks for the feedback.
    :o)

    --

    > Thank you!
    > I did the install (from XP cd) as your site suggested and I now
    > have"search". I have your site bookmarked.
    > Does" oe saves all " work with XP pro? had to use it with Me always.
    > thanks again, Dave

    >> Hi Dave,
    >>
    >> Without knowing more about your system make:
    >>
    >> Why doesn't Search work?
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "Dave" <tarzanREMOVE2005@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I recently puchased XP pro & cannot use the search for files tool.
    >>> When I click, nothing happens.
    >>> Any other alternative software to use or a fix would be appreciated.
    >>> thanks,Dave

Windows XP Microsoft Software