Games Freezing

Hi

Recently I've started having a problem. All of my games except for WC3:TFT freeze whenever I try and play them.
I thought it was some software problem at first and couldn't fix it so I reformated but the problem still remained.
Then I started doing tests on my hardware, my onboard sound apperently didn't work anymore but it does detect my headset when I plug it in, however doesnt play any sound.

Also if I try and plug in my USB headset everything works fine for some reason and I'm able to play most games fine. However my USB headset's USB connector is slightly damaged and its unreliable and annoying using it..

I also tried using my ancient sounblaster live 5.1 card cause I thought my onboard sound might've been damaged somehow, sound works fine aslong I don't play any games.
However if I try playing games using the SB Live card only WC3 TFT works, any other game with more advanced graphics freeze my computer up really quick, forcing me to do a hard shut down.

And now I'm somewhat confused, I suspect there might be overheating problems now instead caused by the more graphical games cause it's strange how everything works fine otherwise..except for the onboard sound.

Oh and I installed some program called MBM5 to monitor my hardware temprature; everything seemed fine except for one sensor pointing out somethings running at 111 celcius (231 Fahrenhiet i think) WinBond1.

I had problems with one of my old fans so I got a Zalman replacement, the fan is located slightly below my CPU fan and I believe it to be located on an nforce chip on the mobo. It also feels extremely warm...

So I'm looking for a 2nd opinion on this, any ideas would be appreciated as to what the problem could be.

Comp specs are:

Geforce 6600 GT
1 gig ram
Abit KN8 Ultra
AMD 64 3700 +
Windows XP SP2
Soundblaster Live (Didn't really use it untill the mobo onboard sound stopped working)
8 answers Last reply
More about games freezing
  1. It sounds like something is overheating. What are your CPU and GPU temps when they are under a full load? You should also run memtest to check your RAM just in case. What is nice is that memtest will also jack your CPU load up so you can monitor those temps in the background.

Not familiar with that monitoring program...what is WinBond1 monitoring? You should figure out what your temps are tied to or else they are useless values. Do you have temp monitors in your BIOS?

Do you have a lot of dust in your heatsinks? Blowing the dust out of your heatsinks will be a good start. Your GPU will probably have a lot of build up as well if you haven't done it before.
  2. SpinachEater said:
    It sounds like something is overheating. What are your CPU and GPU temps when they are under a full load? You should also run memtest to check your RAM just in case. What is nice is that memtest will also jack your CPU load up so you can monitor those temps in the background.

Not familiar with that monitoring program...what is WinBond1 monitoring? You should figure out what your temps are tied to or else they are useless values. Do you have temp monitors in your BIOS?

Do you have a lot of dust in your heatsinks? Blowing the dust out of your heatsinks will be a good start. Your GPU will probably have a lot of build up as well if you haven't done it before.

Appreciate the reply.

So I did a memtest and it found no errors and checked my temps in the BIOs which also were fine at around 40 degrees celcius..

I also opened my case up and felt carefully around at some places for any signs of overheating, there were 2 notable spots :
    My Graphics card felt extremely hot and the Zalman fan I spoke of earlier that was on some nforce chip....

Anyway I downloaded another hardware monitoring program, heres the results of it's monitor while running a game :
    http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9554/tempsensor.th.jpg

I've never really dealt with temprature problems before untill now so I know nothing about it, unfortunaly.. but it clearly seems it's the problem.

There's really not much dust around either, but I'll clean it up anyway just incase in a minute.
  3. Only strange thing about this is that this other hardware monitor seems to point towards my Graphics card being at fault for the freezes here?

If so, I'm curious as to why the freezes occur faster when I plug in my soundcard.. and why my onboard sound stopped working through the regular connection pathway but works with USB. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Unless the problem is with the Graphicscard AND the nforce chip on the mobo ? I'm really confused now..

This is a pic of my mobo : http://www.megapc.com.au/pics_product/939-ABIT-KN8.jpg
    Theres a circled shaped fan in the middle with the "Abit" logo on it, thats the fan I replaced with this Zalman : http://images.webhallen.com/product/19571 ..

This is the only notible change I have ever done to my computer during these past 2 years now I think as far as hardware goes..

And again - would really appreciate any advice
  4. Sorry about the continous posts (unable to edit previous msg :<)

Anyways, I thought perhaps the reason why freezes occur faster because I've got my soundcard plugged in is because it's 1 centimeter away from my graphic card. Because of that I thought it might be making it warmer?

So I moved the soundcard 1 step down on the pci slot and moved my computer to a more "open" spot, the GPU temprature went down by 10 degrees on the monitor.
    However it's still at around 90 degrees now (max was 110 before).
    When I'm not running any apps or anything it's usually at around 60 degrees.

Anyways I'll proceed to consider this the problem.. In which case I'm wondering what would be the best solution to cool my GPU? I cleaned the dust off a while ago too but it didn't help any (barley was any there)
    I'm thinking about buying some extra additonal fan for my computer case..

Any suggestions?
  5. What are the specs for your memory?
    Some memory modules require 2.1Volts to run correctly.
    Most MBs default to 1.8v. This will cause many crashes if not set correctly.
    Its is usually a simple correction in the BIOS.

This will help cool the video card. It helped a lot with mine.
    Put it under the video card. My temps came down 15 degrees.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119066
  6. Bought some 120mm chassis fan and freezes stopped :) thanks for the help. GPU however is still abit warm so I'll probably end up buying the pci slot cooler too.

thanks again
  7. before you play or installed a game you should check first the need clients or pc requirements for that game if it is compatible in your pc.
  8. Ah, it looks like you found the culprit then. For those older cards, they run a bit hotter but getting into the 90s and higher would make me want to seek alternative cooling.

Looks like you figured it out, but in general, the more case fans you can pack in there the better in order to get your air dissipated and out of the case.

I think the PCI slot cooler is a good idea. If your case is a little cramped at the bottom, a video card will cut off the circulation of air and just snow ball the temps. A quick fix is just opening up your case when you play games.

If you are big into DIY projects and feel comfortable taking things apart, the best thing to do is take your video card heatsink off, clean off the thermal paste from the GPU and apply new paste. If you aren't the handy sort, then I wouldn't mess with it.

Best of luck!
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Gaming Headsets Games Video Games Product