System Restore Point - Still not quiite right

When I schedule a system restore point, the Restore Point screen opens,
waiting for me to click on "Create a Restore Point" rather than run and
actually creating the RP.

Any ideas on how to get the RP created completely automatically?
Dave
11 answers Last reply
More about system restore point quiite right

    Why are you scheduling them? Just enable the SR service and they will be
    created automatically.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
    > When I schedule a system restore point, the Restore Point screen opens,
    > waiting for me to click on "Create a Restore Point" rather than run and
    > actually creating the RP.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to get the RP created completely automatically?
    > Dave

    Rt click My Computer > Properties > System Restore and check each drive to
    see if Status is "Monitoring" or "Turned Off"

    "Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
    > When I schedule a system restore point, the Restore Point screen opens,
    > waiting for me to click on "Create a Restore Point" rather than run and
    > actually creating the RP.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to get the RP created completely automatically?
    > Dave

    Well, that would be a good idea, except it doesn't work. But I would like
    to create the occasional RP, and like a fool, I picked "At System Startup",
    because that is one of the options. Only it doesn't want to work either. I
    was hoping someone could tell me how to fix it.

    So I guess the bottom line is I want to schedule them because they are not
    happening otherwise. What I really want to do is find out how to get the RP
    created completely automatically, not debate why I want to do it.

    I would appreciate your help.

    Dave

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:37:04 -0600, Dave B wrote:

    > Well, that would be a good idea, except it doesn't work. But I would like
    > to create the occasional RP, and like a fool, I picked "At System Startup",
    > because that is one of the options. Only it doesn't want to work either. I
    > was hoping someone could tell me how to fix it.
    >
    > So I guess the bottom line is I want to schedule them because they are not
    > happening otherwise. What I really want to do is find out how to get the RP
    > created completely automatically, not debate why I want to do it.
    >
    > I would appreciate your help.

    How are you scheduling this? MVP Doug Knox has a .VBS file that can create
    a "one click restore point." It can also be used to schedule system
    restore:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_sysrestorepoint.htm

    NOTE: You can open the .VBS file with Notepad to see what commands Doug
    used to get this to work.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Thank you Sharon -

    This is a Dell, and they are telling me to I need to perform repair
    reinstall of the system (Win XP)
    But I will DEFINITELY check out the Doug Knox approach first.

    Thx much

    Dave

    > On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:37:04 -0600, Dave B wrote:
    >
    >> Well, that would be a good idea, except it doesn't work. But I would
    >> like
    >> to create the occasional RP, and like a fool, I picked "At System
    >> Startup",
    >> because that is one of the options. Only it doesn't want to work either.
    >> was hoping someone could tell me how to fix it.
    >>
    >> So I guess the bottom line is I want to schedule them because they are
    >> not
    >> happening otherwise. What I really want to do is find out how to get the
    >> RP
    >> created completely automatically, not debate why I want to do it.
    >>
    >> I would appreciate your help.
    >
    > How are you scheduling this? MVP Doug Knox has a .VBS file that can create
    > a "one click restore point." It can also be used to schedule system
    > restore:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_sysrestorepoint.htm
    >
    > NOTE: You can open the .VBS file with Notepad to see what commands Doug
    > used to get this to work.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol

    Hi Jerry - We're OK there, BUT, you bring up a good point.

    I currently have 1 HD (C drive), 1 CD (H drive) and 1 CD/DVD (I drive)
    burner

    I recently removed a second HD, partitioned as D,E,F, and G, for other
    reasons. Revised TweakUI accordingly. Maybe I should have done something
    else?

    Dave

    > Rt click My Computer > Properties > System Restore and check each drive to
    > see if Status is "Monitoring" or "Turned Off"
    >
    > "Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
    >> When I schedule a system restore point, the Restore Point screen opens,
    >> waiting for me to click on "Create a Restore Point" rather than run and
    >> actually creating the RP.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on how to get the RP created completely automatically?
    >> Dave

    Sharon -
    Just as a matter of academic interest, the mere existence of the Doug Knox
    script sorta suggests it always takes a manual action to get the SR to do
    its thing in WinXP. Is that right?
    Dave

    > On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:37:04 -0600, Dave B wrote:
    >
    >> Well, that would be a good idea, except it doesn't work. But I would
    >> like
    >> to create the occasional RP, and like a fool, I picked "At System
    >> Startup",
    >> because that is one of the options. Only it doesn't want to work either.
    >> was hoping someone could tell me how to fix it.
    >>
    >> So I guess the bottom line is I want to schedule them because they are
    >> not
    >> happening otherwise. What I really want to do is find out how to get the
    >> RP
    >> created completely automatically, not debate why I want to do it.
    >>
    >> I would appreciate your help.
    >
    > How are you scheduling this? MVP Doug Knox has a .VBS file that can create
    > a "one click restore point." It can also be used to schedule system
    > restore:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_sysrestorepoint.htm
    >
    > NOTE: You can open the .VBS file with Notepad to see what commands Doug
    > used to get this to work.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol

    No, not right. I get a daily 'System Checkpoint' every morning around 8:15
    a.m. I have not done anything to generate a schedule. It is automatic.

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:47:50 -0600, Dave B wrote:

    > Sharon -
    > Just as a matter of academic interest, the mere existence of the Doug Knox
    > script sorta suggests it always takes a manual action to get the SR to do
    > its thing in WinXP. Is that right?
    > Dave

    The automatic restore points in XP take place every 24 hours but there are
    circumstances that can cause those restore points not to happen. For
    example: When I turn my computer off at night, that 24 hour period doesn't
    happen. XP *should* check on the next power up and create a missed restore
    point but that doesn't always happen.

    To avoid the skipped restore points, you have choices. Create one manually
    or schedule one to occur. Creating one manually involves several clicks.
    Using Doug's script reduces this operation to one click. Formally
    scheduling of the task using the System Restore's *.exe file is problematic
    and can fail. Scheduling the script to run avoids most of the pitfalls and
    is more reliable.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    OK everybody, it's time to end this thread. Thank you all for your inputs -
    always sincere, and that's what makes your assistance so valuable. I need
    to decide what I want to do. You have all contributed to the background I
    need to do that - something I did not have before, and for which I thank
    you very much.

    I'll probably be back with some more stupid questions later, on
    who-knows-what topic, so please don't cross me of your list entirely.

    A casual glance at today's news headlines only underscores how trivial our
    problems really are!

    Dave

    > Hi Jerry - We're OK there, BUT, you bring up a good point.
    >
    > I currently have 1 HD (C drive), 1 CD (H drive) and 1 CD/DVD (I drive)
    > burner
    >
    > I recently removed a second HD, partitioned as D,E,F, and G, for other
    > reasons. Revised TweakUI accordingly. Maybe I should have done something
    > else?
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
    >> Rt click My Computer > Properties > System Restore and check each drive
    >> to see if Status is "Monitoring" or "Turned Off"
    >>
    >> "Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
    >>> When I schedule a system restore point, the Restore Point screen opens,
    >>> waiting for me to click on "Create a Restore Point" rather than run and
    >>> actually creating the RP.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas on how to get the RP created completely automatically?
    >>> Dave

    Hi Dave,

    You may find this site of interest.
    All About System Restore in WinXP
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/index.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Dave B wrote:
    > OK everybody, it's time to end this thread. Thank you
    > all for your inputs - always sincere, and that's what
    > makes your assistance so valuable. I need to decide what
    > I want to do. You have all contributed to the background
    > I need to do that - something I did not have before, and
    > for which I thank you very much.
    > I'll probably be back with some more stupid questions
    > later, on who-knows-what topic, so please don't cross me
    > of your list entirely.
    > A casual glance at today's news headlines only
    > underscores how trivial our problems really are!
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > "Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Jerry - We're OK there, BUT, you bring up a good
    >> point. I currently have 1 HD (C drive), 1 CD (H drive) and 1
    >> CD/DVD (I drive) burner
    >>
    >> I recently removed a second HD, partitioned as D,E,F,
    >> and G, for other reasons. Revised TweakUI accordingly. Maybe I
    >> should have done something else?
    >>
    >> Dave
    >>

    >> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
    >>> Rt click My Computer > Properties > System Restore and
    >>> check each drive to see if Status is "Monitoring" or
    >>> "Turned Off" "Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message

Microsoft System Restore Windows XP