System Restore Point - Still not quiite right

March 23, 2005 7:52:34 PM

When I schedule a system restore point, the Restore Point screen opens,
waiting for me to click on "Create a Restore Point" rather than run and
actually creating the RP.

Any ideas on how to get the RP created completely automatically?
Dave
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 9:26:50 PM

Why are you scheduling them? Just enable the SR service and they will be
created automatically.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
> When I schedule a system restore point, the Restore Point screen opens,
> waiting for me to click on "Create a Restore Point" rather than run and
> actually creating the RP.
>
> Any ideas on how to get the RP created completely automatically?
> Dave

March 23, 2005 11:32:58 PM

Rt click My Computer > Properties > System Restore and check each drive to
see if Status is "Monitoring" or "Turned Off"

"Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
> When I schedule a system restore point, the Restore Point screen opens,
> waiting for me to click on "Create a Restore Point" rather than run and
> actually creating the RP.
>
> Any ideas on how to get the RP created completely automatically?
> Dave

March 24, 2005 12:37:04 AM

Well, that would be a good idea, except it doesn't work. But I would like
to create the occasional RP, and like a fool, I picked "At System Startup",
because that is one of the options. Only it doesn't want to work either. I
was hoping someone could tell me how to fix it.

So I guess the bottom line is I want to schedule them because they are not
happening otherwise. What I really want to do is find out how to get the RP
created completely automatically, not debate why I want to do it.

I would appreciate your help.

Dave

> Why are you scheduling them? Just enable the SR service and they will be
> created automatically.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
>> When I schedule a system restore point, the Restore Point screen opens,
>> waiting for me to click on "Create a Restore Point" rather than run and
>> actually creating the RP.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to get the RP created completely automatically?
>> Dave

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 4:13:18 AM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:37:04 -0600, Dave B wrote:

> Well, that would be a good idea, except it doesn't work. But I would like
> to create the occasional RP, and like a fool, I picked "At System Startup",
> because that is one of the options. Only it doesn't want to work either. I
> was hoping someone could tell me how to fix it.
>
> So I guess the bottom line is I want to schedule them because they are not
> happening otherwise. What I really want to do is find out how to get the RP
> created completely automatically, not debate why I want to do it.
>
> I would appreciate your help.

How are you scheduling this? MVP Doug Knox has a .VBS file that can create
a "one click restore point." It can also be used to schedule system
restore:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_sysrestorepo...

NOTE: You can open the .VBS file with Notepad to see what commands Doug
used to get this to work.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thank you Sharon -

This is a Dell, and they are telling me to I need to perform repair
reinstall of the system (Win XP)
But I will DEFINITELY check out the Doug Knox approach first.

Thx much

Dave

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:37:04 -0600, Dave B wrote:
>
>> Well, that would be a good idea, except it doesn't work. But I would
>> like
>> to create the occasional RP, and like a fool, I picked "At System
>> Startup",
>> because that is one of the options. Only it doesn't want to work either.
>> was hoping someone could tell me how to fix it.
>>
>> So I guess the bottom line is I want to schedule them because they are
>> not
>> happening otherwise. What I really want to do is find out how to get the
>> RP
>> created completely automatically, not debate why I want to do it.
>>
>> I would appreciate your help.
>
> How are you scheduling this? MVP Doug Knox has a .VBS file that can create
> a "one click restore point." It can also be used to schedule system
> restore:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_sysrestorepo...
>
> NOTE: You can open the .VBS file with Notepad to see what commands Doug
> used to get this to work.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 10:13:27 AM

Hi Jerry - We're OK there, BUT, you bring up a good point.

I currently have 1 HD (C drive), 1 CD (H drive) and 1 CD/DVD (I drive)
burner

I recently removed a second HD, partitioned as D,E,F, and G, for other
reasons. Revised TweakUI accordingly. Maybe I should have done something
else?

Dave

> Rt click My Computer > Properties > System Restore and check each drive to
> see if Status is "Monitoring" or "Turned Off"
>
> "Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
>> When I schedule a system restore point, the Restore Point screen opens,
>> waiting for me to click on "Create a Restore Point" rather than run and
>> actually creating the RP.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to get the RP created completely automatically?
>> Dave

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 11:47:50 PM

Sharon -
Just as a matter of academic interest, the mere existence of the Doug Knox
script sorta suggests it always takes a manual action to get the SR to do
its thing in WinXP. Is that right?
Dave

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:37:04 -0600, Dave B wrote:
>
>> Well, that would be a good idea, except it doesn't work. But I would
>> like
>> to create the occasional RP, and like a fool, I picked "At System
>> Startup",
>> because that is one of the options. Only it doesn't want to work either.
>> was hoping someone could tell me how to fix it.
>>
>> So I guess the bottom line is I want to schedule them because they are
>> not
>> happening otherwise. What I really want to do is find out how to get the
>> RP
>> created completely automatically, not debate why I want to do it.
>>
>> I would appreciate your help.
>
> How are you scheduling this? MVP Doug Knox has a .VBS file that can create
> a "one click restore point." It can also be used to schedule system
> restore:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_sysrestorepo...
>
> NOTE: You can open the .VBS file with Notepad to see what commands Doug
> used to get this to work.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:36:27 AM

No, not right. I get a daily 'System Checkpoint' every morning around 8:15
a.m. I have not done anything to generate a schedule. It is automatic.

"Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
news:o cycLUOMFHA.2384@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Sharon -
> Just as a matter of academic interest, the mere existence of the Doug Knox
> script sorta suggests it always takes a manual action to get the SR to do
> its thing in WinXP. Is that right?
> Dave
>
> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:37:04 -0600, Dave B wrote:
>>
>>> Well, that would be a good idea, except it doesn't work. But I would
>>> like
>>> to create the occasional RP, and like a fool, I picked "At System
>>> Startup",
>>> because that is one of the options. Only it doesn't want to work
>>> either. I
>>> was hoping someone could tell me how to fix it.
>>>
>>> So I guess the bottom line is I want to schedule them because they are
>>> not
>>> happening otherwise. What I really want to do is find out how to get
>>> the RP
>>> created completely automatically, not debate why I want to do it.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate your help.
>>
>> How are you scheduling this? MVP Doug Knox has a .VBS file that can
>> create
>> a "one click restore point." It can also be used to schedule system
>> restore:
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_sysrestorepo...
>>
>> NOTE: You can open the .VBS file with Notepad to see what commands Doug
>> used to get this to work.
>>
>> --
>> Sharon F
>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 3:49:58 PM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:47:50 -0600, Dave B wrote:

> Sharon -
> Just as a matter of academic interest, the mere existence of the Doug Knox
> script sorta suggests it always takes a manual action to get the SR to do
> its thing in WinXP. Is that right?
> Dave

The automatic restore points in XP take place every 24 hours but there are
circumstances that can cause those restore points not to happen. For
example: When I turn my computer off at night, that 24 hour period doesn't
happen. XP *should* check on the next power up and create a missed restore
point but that doesn't always happen.

To avoid the skipped restore points, you have choices. Create one manually
or schedule one to occur. Creating one manually involves several clicks.
Using Doug's script reduces this operation to one click. Formally
scheduling of the task using the System Restore's *.exe file is problematic
and can fail. Scheduling the script to run avoids most of the pitfalls and
is more reliable.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

OK everybody, it's time to end this thread. Thank you all for your inputs -
always sincere, and that's what makes your assistance so valuable. I need
to decide what I want to do. You have all contributed to the background I
need to do that - something I did not have before, and for which I thank
you very much.

I'll probably be back with some more stupid questions later, on
who-knows-what topic, so please don't cross me of your list entirely.

A casual glance at today's news headlines only underscores how trivial our
problems really are!

Dave

> Hi Jerry - We're OK there, BUT, you bring up a good point.
>
> I currently have 1 HD (C drive), 1 CD (H drive) and 1 CD/DVD (I drive)
> burner
>
> I recently removed a second HD, partitioned as D,E,F, and G, for other
> reasons. Revised TweakUI accordingly. Maybe I should have done something
> else?
>
> Dave
>

> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>> Rt click My Computer > Properties > System Restore and check each drive
>> to see if Status is "Monitoring" or "Turned Off"
>>
>> "Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message
>>> When I schedule a system restore point, the Restore Point screen opens,
>>> waiting for me to click on "Create a Restore Point" rather than run and
>>> actually creating the RP.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how to get the RP created completely automatically?
>>> Dave

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 10:05:19 PM

Hi Dave,