Someone trying to get into my computer?

Hello all,

I've been on the computer a lot in the past 48 hours doing research and
writing. It seems that every 20 or 30 minutes, I receive a pop-up from Zone
Alarm advising the following:
"The firewall has blocked internet access to your computer (NetBIOS Name)
from 192.168.2.1 (192.168.2.1) (NetBIOS Name)"

What causes this? I've been experiencing privacy and security breaches in
the recent past, including financial info being unlawfully shared. Should I
be concerned? If so, what steps should I take?

Thank you,
Terry
--
Peaceis not to be pursued; it is a by-product of love.
16 answers Last reply

    In news:43524548-5641-47FA-B7AC-943022596E7D@microsoft.com,
    Peaceworks <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I've been on the computer a lot in the past 48 hours doing research
    > and writing. It seems that every 20 or 30 minutes, I receive a pop-up
    > from Zone Alarm advising the following:
    > "The firewall has blocked internet access to your computer (NetBIOS
    > Name) from 192.168.2.1 (192.168.2.1) (NetBIOS Name)"
    >
    > What causes this? I've been experiencing privacy and security
    > breaches in the recent past, including financial info being
    > unlawfully shared. Should I be concerned? If so, what steps should I
    > take?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Terry

    Well, in order for it to be 192.168.2.1 it would have to be you or someone
    near you ;) That's not a public IP address. That is ZA telling you it's
    doing something important so that you feel you've invested your money wisely
    and that you feel it's doing a good job. Configure it properly and disable
    the harrassing messages or use a better firewall. In all of the firewalls I
    list for free you'll find ZA isn't one of them...

    That's for a reason...

    Firewalls:
    www.agnitum.com - Outpost Personal Firewall
    http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm - Sygate Personal Firewall
    www.kerio.com/us/kpf_download.html - Kerio Personal Firewall

    Galen

    Thanks Galen.

    I take it that was meant to be helpful? I can't quite decide.

    In case it was, thanks again.
    Terry

    In news:025C7820-09D5-431F-807B-61F3E27E6DC4@microsoft.com,
    Peaceworks <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Thanks Galen.
    >
    > I take it that was meant to be helpful? I can't quite decide.
    >
    > In case it was, thanks again.
    > Terry

    It was meant to be. Your warning means that the IP address that's a "threat"
    according to ZA is something on your network. No ifs ands or buts about it.
    You can't make a computer mask itself as 198.162.xxx.xxx and then threaten a
    network, this means that the computer is ON your network or your own
    computer. It simply can't be a computer from outside of an allowed
    workgroups UNLESS you're suffering from a much more specific problem like
    rootkit but any decent controller (no longer you in that case) would disable
    ZA but force it to remain in the taskbar and appear functional while
    ignoring traffic at that IP.

    The problems that ZA is detecting and reporting to you are either null and
    void or are really just LAN traffic or normal configurations. My response
    was to either disable the reporting feature so that you'd not be bugged by
    an application reporting blocking what may very well be legitimate traffic
    or to upgrade to a firewall that gave a greater control over it's
    configuration. It is helpful, I hope, but perhaps needed clarification? MANY
    firewalls, my own included, often throw error reports from legit traffic and
    will block legitimate request which is why configuration of the firewall per
    your needs is required. A car, when you first get it, doesn't have your
    radio stations set, set in the right position, and all the additional
    settings you want. A firewall doesn't come configured for your tastes or
    your activity but rather for what the authors of the application felt would
    be the most likely settings required by the average user in that marketing
    niche.

    In short, it was meant to help you.

    Galen

    Hey Galen,

    In short, gotcha, and consider the situation remedied as per your suggestions.

    Sincere thanks,
    Terry

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:025C7820-09D5-431F-807B-61F3E27E6DC4@microsoft.com,
    > Peaceworks <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > > Thanks Galen.
    > >
    > > I take it that was meant to be helpful? I can't quite decide.
    > >
    > > In case it was, thanks again.
    > > Terry
    >
    > It was meant to be. Your warning means that the IP address that's a "threat"
    > according to ZA is something on your network. No ifs ands or buts about it.
    > You can't make a computer mask itself as 198.162.xxx.xxx and then threaten a
    > network, this means that the computer is ON your network or your own
    > computer. It simply can't be a computer from outside of an allowed
    > workgroups UNLESS you're suffering from a much more specific problem like
    > rootkit but any decent controller (no longer you in that case) would disable
    > ZA but force it to remain in the taskbar and appear functional while
    > ignoring traffic at that IP.
    >
    > The problems that ZA is detecting and reporting to you are either null and
    > void or are really just LAN traffic or normal configurations. My response
    > was to either disable the reporting feature so that you'd not be bugged by
    > an application reporting blocking what may very well be legitimate traffic
    > or to upgrade to a firewall that gave a greater control over it's
    > configuration. It is helpful, I hope, but perhaps needed clarification? MANY
    > firewalls, my own included, often throw error reports from legit traffic and
    > will block legitimate request which is why configuration of the firewall per
    > your needs is required. A car, when you first get it, doesn't have your
    > radio stations set, set in the right position, and all the additional
    > settings you want. A firewall doesn't come configured for your tastes or
    > your activity but rather for what the authors of the application felt would
    > be the most likely settings required by the average user in that marketing
    > niche.
    >
    > In short, it was meant to help you.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

    Great reply, Galen!

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    In news:F5DEFC56-4A51-4F19-B632-49E2ED3EF49C@microsoft.com,
    Peaceworks <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Hey Galen,
    >
    > In short, gotcha, and consider the situation remedied as per your
    > suggestions.
    >
    > Sincere thanks,
    > Terry

    I really hate to sound like a donkey but I'm pretty anal when it comes to
    security, security is a process and not an application. I can only hope that
    every computer user will understand that at some point and I don't mean you
    specifically. I have real problems with ZoneAlarm and those problems are
    mine and mine alone. You are free to use ANY software firewall you're
    willing/able to use but please, for your own sake take the time to insure
    you've made the settings fit your usage. While ZA may not be specifically
    any less capable (they just recently started checking components to insure
    that the running process was indeed the original starting application where
    you could make any application named a trusted application access the
    internet before) than the other available options it is indeed easier than
    most but you seem to be capable. This? This is a compliment. It takes work
    and dedication to dig out the newsgroups, add them, and opt to use them. You
    seem interested in security as a process and not just sitting idle and
    clicking the box when ZA warns you. My problem goes back to a marketing
    choice with ZA where they completely disabled the ability for free users to
    turn off automatic updates and then foisted numerous malfunctioning (and not
    worthy of even beta status never mind release candidate) releases on
    end-users. I have a number of issues with denial as well but please do read
    on. As far as I know ZA, as a product, is an acceptable solution though I do
    not and will never recommend their software until they've made changes in
    their marketing practices. Again, that is my problem and mine alone. My
    posts, the initial, secondary, and now tertiary, are meant to help you to
    secure your computer and to understand the traffic warning that you're
    seeing. They are not meant to bash a specific product but rather to decypher
    the problem and give an answer accordingly.

    If you're even more curious and, for example, you're not even on a LAN/WAN
    then you could consider checking running processes and services to see
    what's running. Have you file and print sharing enabled? Do you have a
    wireless network? Where is this traffic coming from and what is it doing?
    Are the other PCs set to index networked drives? That sort of thing is where
    I'd start to debug this issue but in 99.999% of these cases it's legitimate
    traffic doing what it's supposed to do and being erroniously blocked by the
    software firewall and YES this even happens with my beloved Outpost until
    I've debugged it or configured it properly. So, again, the problems with ZA
    are mine and mine to hold. You can use any application you want provided you
    use it wisely. Your posts show that you are doing so. My posts are only
    meant to show you why this is being reported.

    Enough said? Carry this down to the TCP/IP packet at the lowest level? I'm
    willing to share AND learn from your experiences. I don't use ZA but I'm
    almost willing to try it again now that I've heard a number of good things
    about it's recent changes and functionality. I like easy and simple... ZA
    provides that for the AVERAGE user but in the process of doing so it tries
    to show it's working and this scares anyone who is alert to the messages it
    pops up and doesn't understand the stacks or IP at a level beyond my
    comprehension. Me? Personally? I know just enough to know I don't know
    anything ;)

    Galen

    In news:uDr7lAEMFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:

    > Great reply, Galen!

    Dearest Kelly --- Don't tell Hubby!

    Anything less would be uncivilized ;)

    By the way, I'd noted you were missing so I'd stepped up my 'work' and made
    it a point to check. You're still on leave as far as I'm concerned or until
    you tell me you're comfortable here again. I try to be honest, open,
    understanding, AND willing to learn. My third response was, in my opinion,
    better. I'm actually downloading ZA for the sole reason of knowing it's
    configuration so that I can help people with it. I can't help if I don't
    know and I can't complain if I haven't compared current product to current
    product. My taskbar will seem empty on this computer without my familiar "?"
    or lighthouse ;)

    Galen

    Hi again, for probably the final time tonight,

    I gather Alex has passed? I have used his site material extensively in the
    past year. as recently as last evening. It feels as if I've known him.

    Is there something someone can suggest that would be fitting for those of us
    who have benefited from his knowledge and being, to do in paying respects?

    Thanks again,
    Terry

    "Galen" wrote:

> [...]
    > meant to show you why this is being reported.
    >
    > Enough said? Carry this down to the TCP/IP packet at the lowest level? I'm
    > willing to share AND learn from your experiences. I don't use ZA but I'm
    > almost willing to try it again now that I've heard a number of good things
    > about it's recent changes and functionality. I like easy and simple... ZA
    > provides that for the AVERAGE user but in the process of doing so it tries
    > to show it's working and this scares anyone who is alert to the messages it
    > pops up and doesn't understand the stacks or IP at a level beyond my
    > comprehension. Me? Personally? I know just enough to know I don't know
    > anything ;)
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

    For what it is worth, I am in total agreement with you on ZA. It
    used to be
    a great firewall but after the freedownload become some popular, hackers
    became better at configureing it than the users. I have spoke with guys from
    Check Point ( the company that owns ZA) at the RSA Expo . Although Check
    Point owns it control of it has been given to Brouderbund (excuse my
    misspelling). The people there are aware of the problem but it has not hurt
    sells, so don't look for any improvements soon. I hate saying this, I have
    made friends there, but the truth is the truth. Best of luck to all.
    ps: welcome back Kelly, the group is not the same without you
    Ron J

    DQoiUGVhY2V3b3JrcyIgPFBlYWNld29ya3NAZGlzY3Vzc2lvbnMubWljcm9zb2Z0LmNvbT4gd3Jv
    dGUgaW4gbWVzc2FnZSBuZXdzOjQzNTI0NTQ4LTU2NDEtNDdGQS1CN0FDLTk0MzAyMjU5NkU3REBt
    aWNyb3NvZnQuY29tLi4uDQo+IEhlbGxvIGFsbCwNCj4gDQo+IEkndmUgYmVlbiBvbiB0aGUgY29t
    cHV0ZXIgYSBsb3QgaW4gdGhlIHBhc3QgNDggaG91cnMgZG9pbmcgcmVzZWFyY2ggYW5kIA0KPiB3
    cml0aW5nLiBJdCBzZWVtcyB0aGF0IGV2ZXJ5IDIwIG9yIDMwIG1pbnV0ZXMsIEkgcmVjZWl2ZSBh
    IHBvcC11cCBmcm9tIFpvbmUgDQo+IEFsYXJtIGFkdmlzaW5nIHRoZSBmb2xsb3dpbmc6DQo+ICJU
    aGUgZmlyZXdhbGwgaGFzIGJsb2NrZWQgaW50ZXJuZXQgYWNjZXNzIHRvIHlvdXIgY29tcHV0ZXIg
    KE5ldEJJT1MgTmFtZSkgDQo+IGZyb20gMTkyLjE2OC4yLjEgKDE5Mi4xNjguMi4xKSAoTmV0QklP
    UyBOYW1lKSINCj4gDQo+IFdoYXQgY2F1c2VzIHRoaXM/IEkndmUgYmVlbiBleHBlcmllbmNpbmcg
    cHJpdmFjeSBhbmQgc2VjdXJpdHkgYnJlYWNoZXMgaW4gDQo+IHRoZSByZWNlbnQgcGFzdCwgaW5j
    bHVkaW5nIGZpbmFuY2lhbCBpbmZvIGJlaW5nIHVubGF3ZnVsbHkgc2hhcmVkLiBTaG91bGQgSSAN
    Cj4gYmUgY29uY2VybmVkPyBJZiBzbywgd2hhdCBzdGVwcyBzaG91bGQgSSB0YWtlPw0KPiANCj4g
    VGhhbmsgeW91LA0KPiBUZXJyeQ0KPiAtLSANCj4gUGVhY2VpcyBub3QgdG8gYmUgcHVyc3VlZDsg
    aXQgaXMgYSBieS1wcm9kdWN0IG9mIGxvdmUuDQoNClRoaXMgaXMgYSBmYWtlZCBJUCBhZGRyZXNz
    LiBTZWUgYmVsb3csIGVzcGVjaWFsbHkgdGhlIGNvbW1lbnQgbGluZXMuIEFzIGxvbmcgYXMgWm9u
    ZSBBbGFybSBpcyBibG9ja2luZyB0aGUgaW50cnVzaW9ucywgeW91IHNob3VsZG4ndCBoYXZlIGFu
    eXRoaW5nIHRvIHdvcnJ5IGFib3V0Lg0KDQpPcmdOYW1lOiAgICBJbnRlcm5ldCBBc3NpZ25lZCBO
    dW1iZXJzIEF1dGhvcml0eSANCk9yZ0lEOiAgICAgIElBTkENCkFkZHJlc3M6ICAgIDQ2NzYgQWRt
    aXJhbHR5IFdheSwgU3VpdGUgMzMwDQpDaXR5OiAgICAgICBNYXJpbmEgZGVsIFJleQ0KU3RhdGVQ
    cm92OiAgQ0ENClBvc3RhbENvZGU6IDkwMjkyLTY2OTUNCkNvdW50cnk6ICAgIFVTDQpOZXRSYW5n
    ZTogICAxOTIuMTY4LjAuMCAtIDE5Mi4xNjguMjU1LjI1NSANCkNJRFI6ICAgICAgIDE5Mi4xNjgu
    MC4wLzE2IA0KTmV0TmFtZTogICAgSUFOQS1DQkxLMQ0KTmV0SGFuZGxlOiAgTkVULTE5Mi0xNjgt
    MC0wLTENClBhcmVudDogICAgIE5FVC0xOTItMC0wLTAtMA0KTmV0VHlwZTogICAgSUFOQSBTcGVj
    aWFsIFVzZQ0KTmFtZVNlcnZlcjogQkxBQ0tIT0xFLTEuSUFOQS5PUkcNCk5hbWVTZXJ2ZXI6IEJM
    QUNLSE9MRS0yLklBTkEuT1JHDQpDb21tZW50OiAgICBUaGlzIGJsb2NrIGlzIHJlc2VydmVkIGZv
    ciBzcGVjaWFsIHB1cnBvc2VzLg0KQ29tbWVudDogICAgUGxlYXNlIHNlZSBSRkMgMTkxOCBmb3Ig
    YWRkaXRpb25hbCBpbmZvcm1hdGlvbi4NCkNvbW1lbnQ6ICAgIA0KUmVnRGF0ZTogICAgMTk5NC0w
    My0xNQ0KVXBkYXRlZDogICAgMjAwMi0wOS0xNg0KT3JnQWJ1c2VIYW5kbGU6IElBTkEtSVAtQVJJ
    Tg0KT3JnQWJ1c2VOYW1lOiAgIEludGVybmV0IENvcnBvcmF0aW9uIGZvciBBc3NpZ25lZCBOYW1l
    cyBhbmQgTnVtYmVyIA0KT3JnQWJ1c2VQaG9uZTogICsxLTMxMC0zMDEtNTgyMA0KT3JnQWJ1c2VF
    bWFpbDogIGFidXNlQGlhbmEub3JnDQpPcmdUZWNoSGFuZGxlOiBJQU5BLUlQLUFSSU4NCk9yZ1Rl
    Y2hOYW1lOiAgIEludGVybmV0IENvcnBvcmF0aW9uIGZvciBBc3NpZ25lZCBOYW1lcyBhbmQgTnVt
    YmVyIA0KT3JnVGVjaFBob25lOiAgKzEtMzEwLTMwMS01ODIwDQpPcmdUZWNoRW1haWw6ICBhYnVz
    ZUBpYW5hLm9yZw0KIyBBUklOIFdIT0lTIGRhdGFiYXNlLCBsYXN0IHVwZGF0ZWQgMjAwNS0wMy0y
    MyAxOToxMA0KIyBFbnRlciA/IGZvciBhZGRpdGlvbmFsIGhpbnRzIG9uIHNlYXJjaGluZyBBUklO
    J3MgV0hPSVMgZGF0YWJhc2UuDQo=

    In news:B08ED44C-2139-4247-9B78-50A31C0C729F@microsoft.com,
    Peaceworks <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Hi again, for probably the final time tonight,
    >
    > I gather Alex has passed? I have used his site material extensively
    > in the past year. as recently as last evening. It feels as if I've
    > known him.
    >
    > Is there something someone can suggest that would be fitting for
    > those of us who have benefited from his knowledge and being, to do in
    > paying respects?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Terry

    Yes he has and the world is a lesser place because of this.

    This is probably the best spot to ask about this:

    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=12206

    Galen

    > <snip> My problem goes back to a marketing
    > choice with ZA where they completely disabled the ability for free users
    > turn off automatic updates ...<snip>
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

    Perhaps you are a little out of date. I run Zone Alarm 5.5.xxxx, it's the
    free version and there is a choice for auto update or manual update, I run
    it in Manual Update.

    Rob

    In news:3afq2bF6b6sgdU3@individual.net,
    Canopus <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> had this to say:

    > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> <snip> My problem goes back to a marketing
    >> choice with ZA where they completely disabled the ability for free
    >> users to turn off automatic updates ...<snip>
    >>
    >> Galen
    >> --
    >> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    >> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
    >>

    > Perhaps you are a little out of date. I run Zone Alarm 5.5.xxxx,
    > it's the free version and there is a choice for auto update or manual
    > update, I run it in Manual Update.
    >
    > Rob

    Not so much out of date as I'm aware that they've reverted to allowing users
    to opt to update and have stoped foisting malware on their free customers
    but still outraged that they did so in the first place. If I go into a store
    and they treat me poorly while I'm there I will drive the extra miles to go
    to another store in the future instead of returning to that one.

    Galen

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Missing, Galen? I don't work this group. :o)

    --

    > In news:uDr7lAEMFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:

    >> Great reply, Galen!
    >
    > Dearest Kelly --- Don't tell Hubby!
    >
    > Anything less would be uncivilized ;)
    >
    > By the way, I'd noted you were missing so I'd stepped up my 'work' and
    > made it a point to check. You're still on leave as far as I'm concerned or
    > until you tell me you're comfortable here again. I try to be honest, open,
    > understanding, AND willing to learn. My third response was, in my opinion,
    > better. I'm actually downloading ZA for the sole reason of knowing it's
    > configuration so that I can help people with it. I can't help if I don't
    > know and I can't complain if I haven't compared current product to current
    > product. My taskbar will seem empty on this computer without my familiar
    > "?" or lighthouse ;)
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Thanks, Ron. :o)

    --

    "Ron J" <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    >>
    >> Hello Galen,
    > For what it is worth, I am in total agreement with you on ZA.
    > It
    > used to be
    > a great firewall but after the freedownload become some popular, hackers
    > became better at configureing it than the users. I have spoke with guys
    > from
    > Check Point ( the company that owns ZA) at the RSA Expo . Although Check
    > Point owns it control of it has been given to Brouderbund (excuse my
    > misspelling). The people there are aware of the problem but it has not
    > hurt
    > sells, so don't look for any improvements soon. I hate saying this, I
    > have
    > made friends there, but the truth is the truth. Best of luck to all.
    > ps: welcome back Kelly, the group is not the same without you
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    In news:ewP%23A7ZPFHA.2568@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:

    > Missing, Galen? I don't work this group. :o)

    I downloaded, installed, paid for, and configured ZA Pro because I figured
    that I'd be better off learning about it. As you'd not been working the
    group lately (I don't even know WHERE I'd posted that) you surely missed
    that event. Anyhow, it's now no longer installed but it felt different to be
    using a product other than Outpost. It was just plain freaky to see an empty
    (to me) taskbar and have all the silly prompts come up. I set it up as
    default which I figured most users would do. I let it run that way for a
    while before I configured it more to my liking. Now it's still installed but
    disabled and OP is back up and running. I dare say that it was one of the
    most annoying applications I've ever used.

    Galen

Internet Access Computers Netbios Windows XP