From 98 to Home XP, appl cannot find internet connection

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I recently upgraded from 98 to XP Home edition. I can open IE6 and surf the
web but when I try to use a hyperlink to the net I get a message saying it
can't find an internet connection. (i.e. click to "activate" XP or for an
application to look for an update.)

Is there a setting I'm missing?
3 answers Last reply
More about from home appl find internet connection
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Go to Start->Run->type appwiz.cpl to go to Add/Remove Programs->Add/Remove
    Windows Components->uninstall the Internet Explorer->Restart your computer
    then go back to the same place reinstall the IE, see if it works...

    "Todd" wrote:

    > I recently upgraded from 98 to XP Home edition. I can open IE6 and surf the
    > web but when I try to use a hyperlink to the net I get a message saying it
    > can't find an internet connection. (i.e. click to "activate" XP or for an
    > application to look for an update.)
    >
    > Is there a setting I'm missing?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Thank you for trying but it did not work. Any other thoughts?

    "Canice" wrote:

    > Go to Start->Run->type appwiz.cpl to go to Add/Remove Programs->Add/Remove
    > Windows Components->uninstall the Internet Explorer->Restart your computer
    > then go back to the same place reinstall the IE, see if it works...
    >
    > "Todd" wrote:
    >
    > > I recently upgraded from 98 to XP Home edition. I can open IE6 and surf the
    > > web but when I try to use a hyperlink to the net I get a message saying it
    > > can't find an internet connection. (i.e. click to "activate" XP or for an
    > > application to look for an update.)
    > >
    > > Is there a setting I'm missing?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    maybe i can do a remote assistance for you...u have msn?

    my msn is dimitri_can@hotmail.com

    "Todd" wrote:

    > Thank you for trying but it did not work. Any other thoughts?
    >
    > "Canice" wrote:
    >
    > > Go to Start->Run->type appwiz.cpl to go to Add/Remove Programs->Add/Remove
    > > Windows Components->uninstall the Internet Explorer->Restart your computer
    > > then go back to the same place reinstall the IE, see if it works...
    > >
    > > "Todd" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I recently upgraded from 98 to XP Home edition. I can open IE6 and surf the
    > > > web but when I try to use a hyperlink to the net I get a message saying it
    > > > can't find an internet connection. (i.e. click to "activate" XP or for an
    > > > application to look for an update.)
    > > >
    > > > Is there a setting I'm missing?
Ask a new question

Read More

Microsoft Internet Connection Windows XP