[SOLVED] Mac blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlslider89

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Im not sure if this would be under this category but, i have a mac book, when i try to turn it on the screen turns blue and the computer will not start, i believe it is a harddrive issue. i was able to start the mac up in safe mode but i can not do much from there, does anyone have any advice?
thanks

Solution
If it has a Core 2 Duo processor or better you can install Lion. ...but with no way to get to the Mac App Store that could cost you $70...unless you know someone nearby that can...wait...I can't say that.

It's gonna cost you at least $70. Perhaps you know someone with a Snow Leopard or Leopard install disk they could give you.

halcyon

Splendid

If you have the OS disk that came with the MacBook or a version of OS X that is newer than your MacBook you should be able to boot from it if you hold down the C key while the unit powers on (when you here the gong). Those disks will have Disk Utility that will allow you to take a look at the hard drive and see if that's the issue. If its a software issue, and it appears to be, they can even attempt a repair.

dlslider89

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
the mac is not mine, its my gfs and she does not have the original disk with her, it may be out of the country, dont ask why, but when i was in safe mode i tried to preform a disk repair but it would not let me, is that the same thing you are talking about?

halcyon

Splendid

I think that's the same thing. How old is the MacBook?

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
It's probably not a disk problem but a driver issue. I am not a Mac guy, but as the hardware platform is the same, as with PC's I am pretty sure in what I say. Try disabling your drivers one by one to find the troubling one. Is there something like device manager in Macs? If yes - see there for conflicting devices. And btw. what error code it gives you when BSODs?

dlslider89

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
i believe that there is a currupted file in the mac somewere, when i get on in safe mode and log in on a different user than my gfs account, i look at her account and her desktop file is highlighted in red. which is unusual to me, also its not like the bsod that you get on a pc, its just a blank blue screen when i try to start it up regularly, i changed the computer setting so it will not log into her user directly and i can log onto a test user, but thats the only one and i still cant do any disk repairs from there for some reason

halcyon

Splendid
If it has a Core 2 Duo processor or better you can install Lion. ...but with no way to get to the Mac App Store that could cost you $70...unless you know someone nearby that can...wait...I can't say that.

It's gonna cost you at least $70. Perhaps you know someone with a Snow Leopard or Leopard install disk they could give you.

Solution

halcyon

Splendid

Upgrading OS X should NOT make you lose your current files.

halcyon

Splendid

Any OS that you're not really familiar with can be a PITA. I wouldn't give Apple any extra credit here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.