Cleaning inkjet printer cartridges

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

I have to use or clean my HP inkjet color cartridge every two weeks or
it will put white lines through the image. Is this just true of all
inkjet printers or what?

Why does the clogging produce the white lines which would imply
exactly one area on the head is clogged?
15 answers Last reply
More about cleaning inkjet printer cartridges
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    "Felix Oscar" <tree01@inreach.com> wrote in message
    >I have to use or clean my HP inkjet color cartridge every two weeks or
    > it will put white lines through the image. Is this just true of all
    > inkjet printers or what?
    >
    > Why does the clogging produce the white lines which would imply
    > exactly one area on the head is clogged?

    This is certainly not normal. What model of printer do you have?

    - Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    > >I have to use or clean my HP inkjet color cartridge every two weeks or
    > > it will put white lines through the image. Is this just true of all
    > > inkjet printers or what?
    > >
    > > Why does the clogging produce the white lines which would imply
    > > exactly one area on the head is clogged?

    It's odd I didn't see the original post on this one. An inkjet head has
    tiny nozzles which push or spray paint onto paper. You can think of it as a
    collection of lots of little tiny pens all squished together. When the
    print head starts drying out, some of these little nozzles get clogged, so
    that those specific nozzles are not transferring ink to the paper. The
    result is that you have lines across the paper (usually white, as the paper
    you are printing on is white) where the specific nozzles are clogged. -Dave
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    In article <22986a60.0408281027.24d8037@posting.google.com>,
    tree01@inreach.com (Felix Oscar) wrote:

    > I have to use or clean my HP inkjet color cartridge every two weeks or
    > it will put white lines through the image. Is this just true of all
    > inkjet printers or what?
    >
    > Why does the clogging produce the white lines which would imply
    > exactly one area on the head is clogged?

    I have never had to do that with any of the Epson ink jet printers
    I have owned. I clean them only once in a blue moon when I notice
    the print quality is diminished.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    On 28 Aug 2004 11:27:58 -0700, tree01@inreach.com (Felix Oscar) wrote:

    >I have to use or clean my HP inkjet color cartridge every two weeks or
    >it will put white lines through the image. Is this just true of all
    >inkjet printers or what?
    >
    >Why does the clogging produce the white lines which would imply
    >exactly one area on the head is clogged?

    Which is one of a million reasons I will never own one of them. I
    have a laser printer and a dot matrix (ribbon type) printer.

    Inkjets produce poor quality, and are the most expensive printers of
    all types to own, due to the cost of the inks. In fact, it is often
    cheaper to buy a new printer than buy ink refills.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    Shawn Hearn <srhi@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<srhi-94769B.09030029082004@news-40.giganews.com>...
    > In article <22986a60.0408281027.24d8037@posting.google.com>,
    > tree01@inreach.com (Felix Oscar) wrote:
    >
    > > I have to use or clean my HP inkjet color cartridge every two weeks or
    > > it will put white lines through the image. Is this just true of all
    > > inkjet printers or what?
    > >
    > > Why does the clogging produce the white lines which would imply
    > > exactly one area on the head is clogged?
    >
    > I have never had to do that with any of the Epson ink jet printers
    > I have owned. I clean them only once in a blue moon when I notice
    > the print quality is diminished.

    I just had a C82 Stylus go bad on me. I don't think it was clogged
    print heads, but after going online to get tips on what the problem
    might, I found a lot of people complaining about clogged heads on
    Epsons. But even among those complaints, it appeared the biggest
    cause of trouble was third party cartridges. Epson touts their
    pigment based "Dura Brite" ink, and many say that the nozzles don't
    tolerate substitutes well.

    Inkjet nozzles, regardless of brand, will be prone to drying up and
    possibly clogging after extended periods of non-use. And a couple of
    weeks may be considered an "extended period" for some printers. But
    hell, they can clog with regular use too - The C82 we had, and the C86
    we have now will briefly pause printing to touch up the heads in the
    middle of print jobs.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    "Curtis CCR" <curtisccr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Shawn Hearn <srhi@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > In article <22986a60.0408281027.24d8037@posting.google.com>,
    > > tree01@inreach.com (Felix Oscar) wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have to use or clean my HP inkjet color cartridge every two weeks or
    > > > it will put white lines through the image. Is this just true of all
    > > > inkjet printers or what?
    > > >
    > > > Why does the clogging produce the white lines which would imply
    > > > exactly one area on the head is clogged?
    > >
    > > I have never had to do that with any of the Epson ink jet printers
    > > I have owned. I clean them only once in a blue moon when I notice
    > > the print quality is diminished.
    >
    > I just had a C82 Stylus go bad on me. I don't think it was clogged
    > print heads, but after going online to get tips on what the problem
    > might, I found a lot of people complaining about clogged heads on
    > Epsons. But even among those complaints, it appeared the biggest
    > cause of trouble was third party cartridges. Epson touts their
    > pigment based "Dura Brite" ink, and many say that the nozzles don't
    > tolerate substitutes well.
    >
    > Inkjet nozzles, regardless of brand, will be prone to drying up and
    > possibly clogging after extended periods of non-use. And a couple of
    > weeks may be considered an "extended period" for some printers. But
    > hell, they can clog with regular use too - The C82 we had, and the C86
    > we have now will briefly pause printing to touch up the heads in the
    > middle of print jobs.

    Maybe this can help EPSON users. It's not mine. I copied it off the
    internet, but it has good pointers.....
    First you have to realize that any Non-Epson Ink or Ink Cartridges is not
    the same ink formulation as the ink in the Epson Cartridges. Epson Ink Jet
    Style Printers are one of the few printers on the market that seem to have
    so many problems with non-manufactors inks. Epson Printers use a completely
    different printhead inking system than most other brands of printers. Epsons
    "Micro Piezo Ink Jet Technology" and the ultrafine 4-picoliter ink droplets
    used in most of the Epson Ink Jet Style Printers, just don't always work
    well with Non-Epson Inks. Most, if not all of the other manufactors, use
    thermal or bubble jetprint heads and because the other brands use a totally
    different system, they don't seem to have as many problems using refilled
    inks or non-manufactor's ink cartridges. No matter what anyone says, all
    blacks and colors are not the same. Printer manufacters do not make
    available their ink formulation and in most cases, the formulation is
    patented. Any difference in the ink formulation can clog the small printhead
    nozzles or damage other critical components. One individual printhead nozzle
    is so tiny, that it will not accept a human hair, so you can see why they
    can get clogged so easily, or even why the nozzles can be so easily damaged.
    Epson has many different formulas just for its black ink, for all the
    different Epson Printers, let alone for their colored inks. Generally if you
    are using Non-Epson Ink Cartridges, or refilling your old cartridges, you
    are using the wrong ink for your printer and sooner or later you will have
    some type of problems, almost everyone does. You are taking your chances by
    using Third-Party or Generic ink cartridges, or even by refilling your old
    cartridges. I understand the differences in the costs of the Non-Epson Ink
    and Ink Cartridges, compared to the Epson Ink Cartridges and the choice is
    always yours to make. It really does not matter to me what type of ink
    cartridges you decide to use in your Epson Printer...You need to run a
    Nozzle Test and see how that pattern looks. If there are "Void Lines" or
    "White Lines" thru the blocks of colors then you need to do the Print Head
    Cleaning Cycle and then the Nozzle Test again, to try and clean out the
    print heads. You may have to run several sets of these tests to try and get
    rid of those void lines. If after 5 or 6 sets of tests those lines are not
    gone, then you might have a bad cartridge, or a possibly clogged print head
    assembly, theres no way to really know. It's possible that you may even have
    an actual HARDWARE PROBLEM [parts problem], but normally the most common
    problem is clogging of the print head nozzles. You might want to try using
    the Epson Stylus Head Cleaning Solution, available through the home page on
    "fixyourownprinter.com", at " http://fixyourownprinter.com/ ". When it
    opens, click-on Epson, under PRINTER REPAIR KITS. Then click-on "Epson
    Stylus Head Cleaning Solution" and that page should then open correctly. The
    Epson Solution sells for around $10.00 plus shipping. It includes a syringe
    and some Epson Printhead Cleaning Solution, which is designed to dissolve
    most clogs, especially if you were using Epson inks. This is the same
    chemical used by Epson in their service department. You can try it if you
    want to and see if you can get the printhead nozzles to open up again. If
    you want to see what's involved in print head cleaning, Wes has supplied a
    link that might help: http://www.epsonhelp.web1000.com/printhead.html and he
    also suggests trying the SSC service utility form here
    http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml...ON THE OTHER HAND: If that Nozzle test
    comes out looking ok, then that indicates that your printer is normally
    working ok. You have to realize that your printer simply receives DATA from
    your Computer System, which tells it what to print. Usually, what you see on
    your Monitors Screen, is close to the image that is printed out by your
    printer. That image cannot always be matched exactly thru the Software Data
    sent to your printer. Its possible that settings may not be correct in your
    computers software, or possibly even corrupted Printer Drivers. You can
    delete your old drivers and download the latest available drivers from the
    Epson Home Page at http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/index.jsp . As drivers
    are FREE, I usually recommend trying those first if you have a communication
    problem. Bad or corrupted drivers can cause many problems. "DEINSTALL"
    [remove] your old drivers/printer first and then go to the "EPSON.COM"
    web-site. Look under "DRIVERS AND SUPPORT" and then click-on "DRIVERS AND
    DOWNLOADS". Look under the "Ink Jet Printers" for your "Epson Stylus Photo
    820" and click-on it. Once the "DOWNLOAD PAGE" opens, read the INFORMATION
    to locate your particular SYSTEM [Win's 95,98,ME,2000.etc.] and then
    click-on it. Follow the directions and read all the available information
    concerning your systems driver downloads. Finally at the bottom of the page,
    click-on "Printer Software Installation for Windows ___ [Epson Printers]",
    or the "Download" option button. After the downloading utility opens, read
    the download information available, make your choices and complete the
    installation...Good Luck! Denny Conway...P.S. Check for an e-mail from me,
    with some additional information on the print head cleaning solution, in
    case you need to use it.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:27:58 -0700, Felix Oscar wrote:

    > I have to use or clean my HP inkjet color cartridge every two weeks or
    > it will put white lines through the image. Is this just true of all
    > inkjet printers or what?

    No.

    > Why does the clogging produce the white lines which would imply exactly
    > one area on the head is clogged?

    The print head is apparently getting dirty. Find the source of the dirt.

    Perhaps the paper is dirty? Some papers disintegrate and produce paper
    dust which clogs HP inkjet heads. Cheap and recycled papers are notorious
    for this.

    A dirty environment will allow dust to get into the printer.

    If you have very hard water, your clothes washer becomes a clothes grinder
    and all your fabrics will produce lots of dust that goes everywhere very
    quickly. You will need to put the printer somewhere there are no fabrics
    and where airflow will keep dust out. Plus it should always be covered
    completely when not in use.

    Just remembered: Recycled cartridges and refilled cartridges also do the
    same thing. I remember also a inkjet used in a totally dry environment
    (0%rh) would have the print head dry out and it would have to be cleaned
    before every printing.

    =-=
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:27:58 -0700, Felix Oscar wrote:

    > I have to use or clean my HP inkjet color cartridge every two weeks or
    > it will put white lines through the image. Is this just true of all
    > inkjet printers or what?

    This is not normal and would indicate some problem with the cartrdige or the
    pritner.

    > Why does the clogging produce the white lines which would imply exactly
    > one area on the head is clogged?

    If there is a regular pattern of missing lines it would normally indicate an
    electrical contact issue, with perhaps corrosion building up on the cartridge
    contacts. Perform a diagnostic self test as shown at:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&dlc=en&lang=en

    If there are regular repeating areas missing try cleaning the contacts as shown
    at:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02060

    If the missing nozzles are randomly distributed it may be that your service
    station is not properly sealing the cartridge. Check to make sure the rubber
    caps in the service station have not become dislodged.

    Regards,
    MS MVP Printing/Imaging
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    jdj wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:27:58 -0700, Felix Oscar wrote:
    >
    > > I have to use or clean my HP inkjet color cartridge every two weeks or
    > > it will put white lines through the image. Is this just true of all
    > > inkjet printers or what?
    > >

    > No.
    >
    > > Why does the clogging produce the white lines which would imply exactly
    > > one area on the head is clogged?
    >
    > The print head is apparently getting dirty. Find the source of the dirt.
    >
    > Perhaps the paper is dirty? Some papers disintegrate and produce paper
    > dust which clogs HP inkjet heads. Cheap and recycled papers are notorious
    > for this.
    >
    > A dirty environment will allow dust to get into the printer.
    >
    > If you have very hard water, your clothes washer becomes a clothes grinder
    > and all your fabrics will produce lots of dust that goes everywhere very
    > quickly. You will need to put the printer somewhere there are no fabrics
    > and where airflow will keep dust out. Plus it should always be covered
    > completely when not in use.
    >
    > Just remembered: Recycled cartridges and refilled cartridges also do the
    > same thing. I remember also a inkjet used in a totally dry environment
    > (0%rh) would have the print head dry out and it would have to be cleaned
    > before every printing.
    >
    > =-=

    Well, there is no totally dry environment. Even an extremely dry area
    has a relative humidity of 5 percent and there are not many areas like
    that in the U.S. Western dry areas have rh of about 25-35 percent and
    the inside of a house is usually much higher. I live in a dry climate
    (Boise, ID) and my printer (HP 970) has needed a cartridge cleaning
    only once and I often do not print for several weeks, sometimes
    sseveral months. Oh, by the way, we also have hard water, but I don't
    see much clothes "grinding."
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 23:01:54 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:

    > Well, there is no totally dry environment. Even an extremely dry area
    > has a relative humidity of 5 percent and there are not many areas like
    > that in the U.S. Western dry areas have rh of about 25-35 percent and
    > the inside of a house is usually much higher. I live in a dry climate
    > (Boise, ID) and my printer (HP 970) has needed a cartridge cleaning
    > only once and I often do not print for several weeks, sometimes
    > sseveral months. Oh, by the way, we also have hard water, but I don't
    > see much clothes "grinding."

    Yes, there are totally dry environments. One of my jobs was to ensure that
    one of them remained perfectly dry. Not an easy task when they insisted on
    using hydrophilic materials like paper and water-bearing materials like
    printer ink.

    There are parts of the U.S. where the water mineral content is so high
    that the water is abrasive. That is "very hard water". Even polyester gets
    ground up. Clothing lasts no more than a year. Mirror finishes on pots
    becomes dull within weeks. Glass looks like it was scrubbed with emery
    paper. Water valves wear and leak, water heaters get filled with a white,
    almost concrete-like material that causes them to leak and becomes
    rock-hard after it is drained out of the heater. A renter ignored a
    leaking diverter spout and a jet from the spout drilled a hole through the
    bathtub in just a few months. Shower heads clog with minerals monthly.
    Soak in vinegar, the vinegar quickly becomes a gel and has to be changed
    frequently. "CLR" is no better.

    BTW, I have observed pure water--absolutely pure, 100.000000% hydrogen
    hydroxide-- drill holes through steel disks in less than an hour at
    1300psi.

    =-=
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    jdj wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 23:01:54 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:
    >
    > > Well, there is no totally dry environment. Even an extremely dry area
    > > has a relative humidity of 5 percent and there are not many areas like
    > > that in the U.S. Western dry areas have rh of about 25-35 percent and
    > > the inside of a house is usually much higher. I live in a dry climate
    > > (Boise, ID) and my printer (HP 970) has needed a cartridge cleaning
    > > only once and I often do not print for several weeks, sometimes
    > > sseveral months. Oh, by the way, we also have hard water, but I don't
    > > see much clothes "grinding."
    >
    > Yes, there are totally dry environments. One of my jobs was to ensure that
    > one of them remained perfectly dry. Not an easy task when they insisted on
    > using hydrophilic materials like paper and water-bearing materials like
    > printer ink.
    >
    > There are parts of the U.S. where the water mineral content is so high
    > that the water is abrasive. That is "very hard water". Even polyester gets
    > ground up. Clothing lasts no more than a year. Mirror finishes on pots
    > becomes dull within weeks. Glass looks like it was scrubbed with emery
    > paper. Water valves wear and leak, water heaters get filled with a white,
    > almost concrete-like material that causes them to leak and becomes
    > rock-hard after it is drained out of the heater. A renter ignored a
    > leaking diverter spout and a jet from the spout drilled a hole through the
    > bathtub in just a few months. Shower heads clog with minerals monthly.
    > Soak in vinegar, the vinegar quickly becomes a gel and has to be changed
    > frequently. "CLR" is no better.
    >
    > BTW, I have observed pure water--absolutely pure, 100.000000% hydrogen
    > hydroxide-- drill holes through steel disks in less than an hour at
    > 1300psi.
    >
    > =-=

    None of which is relevant to the discussion.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 00:26:58 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:

    > None of which is relevant to the discussion.

    maybe ya shouldna brought it up then...
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    Apparently you can't follow a thread. I didn't bring up the nonsense
    about hard water and low humidity, jdj did.

    Vikas wrote:

    > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 00:26:58 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:
    >
    > > None of which is relevant to the discussion.
    >
    > maybe ya shouldna brought it up then...
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 23:32:33 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:

    > Apparently you can't follow a thread. I didn't bring up the nonsense
    > about hard water and low humidity, jdj did.

    Well, you did open the door...

    And it was still somewhat relevant to the topic...

    Illustrative example and all that...

    Not too far afield, yet...

    > Vikas wrote:
    >>
    >> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 00:26:58 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:
    >>
    >> > None of which is relevant to the discussion.
    >>
    >> maybe ya shouldna brought it up then...

    Be nice.

    How come your addy shows up on the spammer list?

    ==-==
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,misc.consumers (More info?)

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:31:13 -0700, jdj wrote:

    > Be nice.

    u b nice. look like u have a problem.

    > How come your addy shows up on the spammer list?

    we donot spam. we only send emails to customers.
    why dont u talk to our layer?

    > ==-==

Hewlett Packard Inkjet Printers Computers